Interior LED lighting issues

Interior LED lighting issues

So I’m wondering if there’s any trick needed to properly replace all the conventional bulbs with LEDs in these cars? Ive managed to get a few LEDs in my ‘85 P-type working, one in the door courtesy light, one in the map light, and a couple in the instrument cluster. But if I try to add another like in the hatch door light, it’ll blow the dome circuit fuse. So I’m guessing the LEDs are allowing the current to build and surpass the fuse rating.

So is there anyone who has figured out a solution to this or maybe found larger/brighter conventional bulbs for the interior? I’m just finding the stock bulbs are too dim, even for night use.
    1985 P-Type 5MGE 5-Speed conversion. Super Deep Red with Black interior

Daily - 1994 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 with 250hp 360 V8 “Dakota R/T” swap

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Generally, LED's draw less current than regular bulbs...
    Wondering if the socket has issue with your LED, and making a short with it.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post
    Generally, LED's draw less current than regular bulbs...
    Wondering if the socket has issue with your LED, and making a short with it.
    That’s the understanding I’ve had too. I also know that the LEDs are single polarity, only working one way. I always check if I can that I have the polarity right before fully installing the LED.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Probably a bad bulb with a short in it. I only have done one in my car and that was the overhead light on the sunroof control panel. I bought one of these and put it in there;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKPJHIQ

It lights the car up like daylight inside.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    Probably a bad bulb with a short in it. I only have done one in my car and that was the overhead light on the sunroof control panel. I bought one of these and put it in there;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKPJHIQ

It lights the car up like daylight inside.
    I’ll have to pick up a pack of them and try. You can probably imagine my confusion when I just got the hatch light converted with the driver door courtesy light and map light on the sunroof control panel all working, shut the doors, and as soon I open the driver door, fuse pops. Put the conventional bulb back into the hatch and replaced the fuse, everything is fine. I may have to check all the sockets and grounds for fraying or maybe corrosion. Just find it odd that the courtesy/dome light circuits won’t accept more than two LEDs.

I’ve got a similar LED board in the map light by the sunroof controls. Insanely bright. Sure would be nice if that light was set to come with the doors like the dome is.

Thread Information