Stock Air Conditioning Compressor Recommendations

Stock Air Conditioning Compressor Recommendations

Well, I took in my 1983 to the AC shop yesterday and found that the original Denso compressor is REALLY leaking.
    Without upgrading the system, what are the best options for replacing the compressor with a stock style unit? My system has been converted to R134a.

According to Jim King AC FAQs, rebuilt Denso 10P15C compressors do not have that high a success rate.

https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...nditioning-FAQ

I would like to find a new replacement rather than a rebuild.

I was under the impression that all years of Celica Supra from 1982 to 1986 used the same Toyota Part Number, '88320-14340 10P15C, COMPRESSOR ASSY, COOLER, V-Belt' and all compressor mounts for these years were the same '88431-24020 BRACKET, COMPRESSOR MOUNTING, NO.1'.
    As a result, I am surprised to see that Four Seasons indicates that they have a new build (not rebuilt) compressor for 1985/6 Celica Supra 2.8L engines, Model 68302 but that this does not show compatibility with 1982 through 1984. For these years they have a Model 57389 Rebuilt compressor.
    Their specifications indicate that the mounting bolt spacing is different; 1.859375" for the Model 68302 versus 1.921875" for the Model 57389.
    The difference is only 0.0625" or 1/16" so I have to assume that the difference, if not just measurement error is so small that one could overbore the mounting holes to make things line up and fit.
    The pulleys are also different diameter, 4.5" for the Model 68302 and 5.25" for the Model 57389.

Any opinion on this? I would certainly prefer a new AC compressor versus a rebuilt unit.

Dale
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I'd take the DENSO rebuild over any new none oem brand. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    I'd take the DENSO rebuild over any new none oem brand. Just my opinion though.
    Well, normally I would agree with you, but when none other than JDK_II says:

"Are rebuilt Nippon Denso compressors a good idea?
    Not really. They do not have a very good rebuild rate. Mostly it’s the design.
    This by a veteran compressor re-builder, who sold his company to Four Seasons. If you do buy one, make sure it has a good warranty.

If you want a rebuilt, the best compressor to rebuild is your working compressor. You are likely to do this if repairing the system (drier, new o-rings, etc)."

i tend to listen.

He also mentions somewhere that Four Seasons is a reasonable company.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I'm talking the Denso ones that are rebuilt by Denso. There are some listed on Rockauto for the 5M. I've had a 2JZ Denso rebuilt compressor on my car for the last few years and it works fine.

Good point about being rebuilt by Denso.
    I appreciate the feedback about you having one for several years with no problems. You read about rebuilds causing problems and you don't know what to believe.
    I'm sure there are going to be failures on all brands, but it's good to hear first hand experiences with them.

I am in the midst of a rebuild on my ac system....all rockauto stuff. I could NOT pass up the deal....$380ish for: condenser, receiver dryer, expansion valve, compressor...including core charge. I am kinda nutty about reassembly-I blast and paint all of the bracketry-mostly so I can see leaks of fluids, and I can easily tell what parts I have already serviced in some form or another. Reassembly of the bits is finished (STILL looking for that resistor if anyone has one??)-but I will take it to my friends shop for vacuuming and charging. I will update when its a bit further along...

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Konner View Post
    I am in the midst of a rebuild on my ac system....all rockauto stuff. I could NOT pass up the deal....$380ish for: condenser, receiver dryer, expansion valve, compressor...including core charge. I am kinda nutty about reassembly-I blast and paint all of the bracketry-mostly so I can see leaks of fluids, and I can easily tell what parts I have already serviced in some form or another. Reassembly of the bits is finished (STILL looking for that resistor if anyone has one??)-but I will take it to my friends shop for vacuuming and charging. I will update when its a bit further along...
    Yea, it makes sense to redo the AC rather than sweating out the summer. Was your AC already converted to R-134a?
    I think that you are going to have to haunt Craigslist for parts cars to find that resistor. I'm pretty sure that you could fab one with a bit of ingenuity, but frankly, why reinvent the wheel if you can find a replacement. I don't think that the resistor gets that hot so using Glyptol to seal and then adding shrink wrap tubing would probably work and look stock. As was mentioned on the other post, there appears to be an add-on ceramic holder that could probably be glued on so it looks like it was stock. Always good to have a 'Plan B' just in case.

Thread Information