Mx72 Cressdia wagon 1JZ build - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member wagzilla's Avatar
    Hi there Vary nice job, Just got done reading the whole build, I'm not much for words, I'm building my mk2 right now with a 2jzgte vvti, I have a lot to learn. what was the hardest part for you?

thanks for sharing, Pm me sometime??

James
    if you have a bitch, have a fix, or don't bitch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suppra87 View Post
    Thanks! Its a blast to drive!

Does anyone know if ae86 rear arms are the same length at the mx72 control arms? Also thought about just using ae86 poly bushings but I don't know if the diameters are the same. Guess and test maybe?
    I am pretty sure you can buy the bushings for the four links and press them in the arms. Try Rock Auto. It is also possible to pour your own poly mix to rebuild what you have. The T3 arms are convenient because they are easily adjustable which is what you will need with a Mk1 Axle because the four link mounts are not the same as the MX72 axle housing.

If you are interested in a Mk1 axle PM me.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Hey! Wow, awesome build, so glad you decided to join and post this.

Lots of comments, I'm going to forget some though.

Sucks about the battery rust on your car, that shit is hard to fix. I have a thread on how I go about it if you get ambitious. Lots of cutting and grinding.

Hey, curious about the air intake manifold on these motors. I've actually driven a mk2 Supra with this motor like a decade ago (it put down about 280rwhp btw with a similar aftermarket IC and exhaust setup, but manual), but I've never really looked at that airbox system above the turbo this close before. What all is the point of it? I see they are dumping the recirc valve output back into it, and what looks like the idle air valve source (though this should be a DBW TB setup and not need that, so maybe its PCV?), and I see some sensors, probably air temp and all. But what else is the point? Most turbo motors don't have a thing like that.

Thats great news about the bomb proof mount working. I actually need to go the opposite direction. My tacoma is tranny slapping like crazy and everyone says not to run the bomb proof mounts on a street driven 4 banger. I couldn't find any poly 2rz/3rz mounts online, but the GM transmission mounts we use on M motors looked awfully similar to me so I figured I'd try a set of those next.

Yeah as you know, stock brakes and stock rear end won't last long. Buy his /|\ mk1 axel, its the simplest way to go. But rear calipers are problematic on those now (supply). Toyota 8.8 truck axel is an option too.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I'll echo Seamus' comments - welcome and thanks for bringing your build here. Great writeup and pictures... you make it look easy.
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    1987 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ73
    2000 Lexus LS400
    2007 Lexus LX470

I wouldn't waste my time on the mk1 rear end. Too costly for what you get. If look at a Ford 8.8 from a 90s exploder.

Quote Originally Posted by wagzilla View Post
    Hi there Vary nice job, Just got done reading the whole build, I'm not much for words, I'm building my mk2 right now with a 2jzgte vvti, I have a lot to learn. what was the hardest part for you?

thanks for sharing, Pm me sometime??

James
    Thanks for the interest. I really like doing these type of swaps. The hardest part for me was gathering the motivation to tackle the tedious parts like extending the wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyodaSup View Post
    I am pretty sure you can buy the bushings for the four links and press them in the arms. Try Rock Auto. It is also possible to pour your own poly mix to rebuild what you have. The T3 arms are convenient because they are easily adjustable which is what you will need with a Mk1 Axle because the four link mounts are not the same as the MX72 axle housing.

If you are interested in a Mk1 axle PM me.
    Ive seen polyurethane bushing for sale on eBay for AE86 4 links but I would like to be sure the bushing diameter and bolt sleeve diameter will match the MX72 rear links. That's going to be the most economical options. Ive considered the poly mix and pour but Id prefer a longer term solution. Ill have to keep you posted on the MK1 axle interest. Part of me wants to go that route for the ease of the swap but my fabricator side says I can figure out a stronger, cheaper, and more readily available solution...much more work but that's never scared me.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    Hey! Wow, awesome build, so glad you decided to join and post this.

Lots of comments, I'm going to forget some though.

Sucks about the battery rust on your car, that shit is hard to fix. I have a thread on how I go about it if you get ambitious. Lots of cutting and grinding.

Hey, curious about the air intake manifold on these motors. I've actually driven a mk2 Supra with this motor like a decade ago (it put down about 280rwhp btw with a similar aftermarket IC and exhaust setup, but manual), but I've never really looked at that airbox system above the turbo this close before. What all is the point of it? I see they are dumping the recirc valve output back into it, and what looks like the idle air valve source (though this should be a DBW TB setup and not need that, so maybe its PCV?), and I see some sensors, probably air temp and all. But what else is the point? Most turbo motors don't have a thing like that.

Thats great news about the bomb proof mount working. I actually need to go the opposite direction. My tacoma is tranny slapping like crazy and everyone says not to run the bomb proof mounts on a street driven 4 banger. I couldn't find any poly 2rz/3rz mounts online, but the GM transmission mounts we use on M motors looked awfully similar to me so I figured I'd try a set of those next.

Yeah as you know, stock brakes and stock rear end won't last long. Buy his /|\ mk1 axel, its the simplest way to go. But rear calipers are problematic on those now (supply). Toyota 8.8 truck axel is an option too.
    The rust is a little annoying but its nowhere under the car at least. It lives in my garage mostly so ill fix the cosmetics as time goes on.
    I don't know enough about exactly why Toyota designed the turbo inlet manifold the way they did to give you any accurate info unfortunately. That being said, this guy over on Supramania is able to do a much better job of explaining the BOV/recirc valve function.

I do know that there is no IAC on this model 1JZ. The throttle body on the 1/2JZs marked "ECTS-i" utilized a throttle cable that only opens the throttle body 10% mechanically. The remainder of the throttle plate movement is done via electric motor driven by a potentiometer that sweeps with the pull of the cable. The Idle air control and cruise control is taken care of within the throttle body. I should also add, while I used a 96 Corolla throttle cable, I stupidly bought an aftermarket cable and it sucks. There's too much friction between the cable and the liner which makes for a very notchy throttle pedal. Ive replaced it with a used OEM cable from the same car. Live and learn right?!

Quote Originally Posted by Deanfun View Post
    I'll echo Seamus' comments - welcome and thanks for bringing your build here. Great writeup and pictures... you make it look easy.
    Thanks for the kind words! Happy to share! I enjoy the feedback and collective thought process but mainly hope other see this stuff and decide, I can do that!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    I wouldn't waste my time on the mk1 rear end. Too costly for what you get. If look at a Ford 8.8 from a 90s exploder.
    I tend to agree with the cost-to-strength ratio. Id thought about an exploder 8.8. Gotta check the axle width. Got a buddy that does heavy welding for a living, he suggested welding in a yota 8" truck center section into the MX72 rear axle. Still weighing all my option.

...I tend to agree with the cost-to-strength ratio. Id thought about an exploder 8.8. Gotta check the axle width. Got a buddy that does heavy welding for a living, he suggested welding in a yota 8" truck center section into the MX72 rear axle. Still weighing all my option.
    They can be pretty easily narrowed. You can get custom axles cut to whatever length you want. Or the cheap way is to use two of the same used axles on both sides. The axles are asymmetric on the stock one so you can use the shorter one on both sides.

Wow!
    I really enjoyed the work progress and your mechanical and electric skills, I tend to keep everything too stock to be even remotely interesting..
    I love a good sleeper, more vids if possible!
    '83 Celica Supra 2.8i Euro spec
    '67 Toyota Crown 2000 Special
    A lot of Audis..

It really depends on what you pay for the mk1 axle. It will pretty much be a bolt in swap if you get one, whereas every other step is custom with any other axle. I helped a bud put one in his 85 Celica GT, which should have basically the same floor pan arrangement as your car in the rear, and it was 100% bolt in with all the right factory parts. Calipers can bite you though, there is no supply for them so make sure you get an axle with good ones if you do it. Pretty sure you can get seal kits for them still, and there are still pads and rotors of course, but not great selection.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

The rust is a little annoying but its nowhere under the car at least. It lives in my garage mostly so ill fix the cosmetics as time goes on.
    I don't know enough about exactly why Toyota designed the turbo inlet manifold the way they did to give you any accurate info unfortunately. That being said, this guy over on Supramania is able to do a much better job of explaining the BOV/recirc valve function.
    Ah, I didn't realize the vvti 1jz was actually bleeding boost early in the rpm range. They probably do that to get better gas milage moreso then emmisions. I certainly noticed on that motor that it felt like a normal high revving NA motor till 3000+, that would explain it. Though still not sure why it needs an extra manifold on top of the turbo.

I saw a little rust in your lower rad support there too, its likely inside your rail as well.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car

Thread Information