Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Mx72 Cressdia wagon 1JZ build

18K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  PB 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I thought this would be a good place to post this build since there aren't really and good Cressida specific forums around anymore. Plus the X7 chassis has a lot in common with the MK2 supras.

I recently stumbled upon a deal on a 1985 Toyota Cressida Wagon (MX72) that I just couldn't pass up. One thing led to another and next thing you know its turned into a go fast wagon project. I'm generally not one to make build threads for my vehicles, with the exception of my 1JZ 4runner over on yotatech, but I figured Id share my build of this wagon with all you fine folks over here.

Ever since I sold my MK3 Supra in 2008, Ive been dying to build another 1JZ car...the 1JZ 4runner was a blast to build and drive but I really wanted a nice comfy car this time around. Fast forward to June 3rd when this 85 Mx72 with 143k on the clock kinda fell into my hands. I towed the car home and ordered a 1JZ VVT-i with automatic transmission from a 2002 Toyota Crown JZS171 on eBay that same evening. Everything has snowballed from that point on!
The first time I laid my eyes on this boxy 80's beauty. We had to push it on to my trailer due to a bad fuel pump. It had been sitting for 3 years.

Promptly towed it home and unloaded it.

I cut an "access hole" into the trunk floor to extract the old nasty fuel pump. Didn't feel like dropping the tank out in my driveway. I just needed to get the car started to drive into my garage.

Dropped in a Walbro 255 fuel pump that I had left over from my 98 Supercharged T4R.

And much to my surprise, the damn thing fired right up on 3+ year old "fuel"....it didn't smell like fuel haha. More pics of this beauty.

The next part of the project is waaay more exciting.

See less See more
#34 ·
This is awesome man! Keep it up and updated to, love seeing the progress. I am doing the exact same thing right now, can't wait to get my mx72 off jackstands. Compiling parts slowly. Just got my future fab elbow and cube shifter in for my w58. Currently saving up to refresh my 1jvvti. I may love to pick your brain on the wiring a little more if you have time. It's my weakest point. Here's a pic of my wagon ?

Attachments

#35 ·
Had some catching up to do on this thread. Ive had a few other projects sideline the Cressida....also had too much fun with the Cressida haha. Pinion shaft snapped and shot out the rear of the differential housing. Honestly Im surprised it held up as long. Left me stranded a whopping 4 miles from my house. This all leads me to an ultimatum considering my sleeper power goals.

Do I ditch the chassis and implant the powertrain into something like an E30, E36, Miata, S2000, Mk3 supra, Mk2 supra, Subaru, Benz SL....? I considered all these for a bit, researched the possibility of them all based on engine sump location and stock rear end strength. Ultimately the decision was obvious, order a custom rear diff housing, weld on T3 bracket kit, add T3 control arms. This will produce incredible burnouts for sure!

New rear end is going to be based on a Dana 44, 30 spline. Custom width to match Cressida axle using Ford 8.8 disc brakes. I'll be adding a brake bias proportioning valve of course.

CRESIDA - D486
* DISC BRAKES
* 5X4.5 LUG PATTERN
* 55.250" WMS
* 4.29 RATIO - HELICAL POSI
* 1310 YOKE
* ALUMINUM COVER

Also, FREE 5M with A43de trans. 143k, ran decent when removed, cut up harness. Did I mention FREE? Come pick it up.

#36 ·
I was waiting for your story about the demise of the 7.1" diff, they don't even last very long with a 5M and I have seen a few broken at the boneyard. Glad you are keeping the MX72, they are unique although the "is that a Volvo" question gets old. There are no bad design lines on the whole body.

Keep us posted on the progress and cost of your custom axle.

David

#37 ·
Sounds fun! Though certainly the expensive route. I'd just grab a toyota 8.8 rear axle, it probably wouldn't even need to be shortened to fit this body. You can run the mk3 Supra LSD in it, which is super strong and has a cheap upgrade from Weir available, or the T2 Torsen found in the is300, plentiful and cheap and easy to find!

#38 ·
Hey guys, been awhile! Kinda put the Cressida on the back burner over the winter due to some other projects. Dropped and rebuilt a 95 Porsche 911 engine for a client which occupied most of my garage space over the winter. Then I traded a Jetta for a 05 bmw that turned out to be a Zhp so that turned into another fun project that Ive been driving everyday now. More on the BMW here.

Anyway. Decided to finally pull the old axle from the Cressida. I really wanted to see what kind of failure had occurred. I thought the pinion shaft had snapped based on the play in the pinion flange. Turns out the spider gears exploded and I even twisted an axle shaft at the splines...the right side of course!

Ive got a buddy giving me a complete 84 22r pickup rear axle. Its 55" WMS and a 8" diff so I can make it work with a hammer and some welding. Plus, theres tons of options at that point for making this thing spin both wheels.

And as it sits now...

#40 ·
#44 ·
Its been a long time coming but a bit of an update... I still have the Cressida. I bought a 79 Celica rear axle for it. Also a set of T3 adjustable rear links and panhard bar. Had to get 1" spacers to get the wheels to match the front width.

Its been a functional car for months but I'm sorry to say I am giving up on the chassis. Just too weak, basic, lack of aftermarket support and creature comforts. I bought an 02 Lexus IS300 a few weeks ago that ill be transplanting this entire swap into. Anyone interested can follow along on the IS forums, Tims 02 IS300 Auto build and JZS171 1JZ swap

#45 ·
Hey everyone! I thought this would be a good place to post this build since there aren't really and good Cressida specific forums around anymore. Plus the X7 chassis has a lot in common with the MK2 supras.

I recently stumbled upon a deal on a 1985 Toyota Cressida Wagon (MX72) that I just couldn't pass up. One thing led to another and next thing you know its turned into a go fast wagon project. I'm generally not one to make build threads for my vehicles, with the exception of my 1JZ 4runner over on yotatech, but I figured Id share my build of this wagon with all you fine folks over here.

Ever since I sold my MK3 Supra in 2008, Ive been dying to build another 1JZ car...the 1JZ 4runner was a blast to build and drive but I really wanted a nice comfy car this time around. Fast forward to June 3rd when this 85 Mx72 with 143k on the clock kinda fell into my hands. I towed the car home and ordered a 1JZ VVT-i with automatic transmission from a 2002 Toyota Crown JZS171 on eBay that same evening. Everything has snowballed from that point on!
The first time I laid my eyes on this boxy 80's beauty. We had to push it on to my trailer due to a bad fuel pump. It had been sitting for 3 years.

Promptly towed it home and unloaded it.

I cut an "access hole" into the trunk floor to extract the old nasty fuel pump. Didn't feel like dropping the tank out in my driveway. I just needed to get the car started to drive into my garage.

Dropped in a Walbro 255 fuel pump that I had left over from my 98 Supercharged T4R.

And much to my surprise, the damn thing fired right up on 3+ year old "fuel"....it didn't smell like fuel haha. More pics of this beauty.

The next part of the project is waaay more exciting.
Does fuel pump transfer make any difference to you?

#47 ·
I enjoyed reading through your thread when it popped up years ago, and great job, btw. I didn't want to ask while you were building up the car, but will now that you're changing chassis, do you have any interest in selling your front bumper lip spoiler (chin spoiler, I've heard it called?)
Just wondering. PM if so, thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.