Mx72 Cressdia wagon 1JZ build - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    This thread is not helping my irrational desires for another boxy japanese car in the garage. Well done, thanks for sharing.
    Hidden Content 86 parts car maybe some day race car? 3x cars, 36x brake caliper pistons.
    "You need to update your signature Gamble" - Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Hey,that Cressida battery hold down looks VERY similar to the MK II hold down!
    We can't get the new one for our cars at all.
    4 Runner one:
    https://www.yotashop.com/toyota-4run...%2428.99%20USD
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    This thread is not helping my irrational desires for another boxy japanese car in the garage. Well done, thanks for sharing.
    Tell me about it. And up here 2000ish Crown wagons with this same motor are fairly common and reasonably priced...
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

This is awesome man! Keep it up and updated to, love seeing the progress. I am doing the exact same thing right now, can't wait to get my mx72 off jackstands. Compiling parts slowly. Just got my future fab elbow and cube shifter in for my w58. Currently saving up to refresh my 1jvvti. I may love to pick your brain on the wiring a little more if you have time. It's my weakest point. Here's a pic of my wagon 🙂
    Attached Images Attached Images

Had some catching up to do on this thread. Ive had a few other projects sideline the Cressida....also had too much fun with the Cressida haha. Pinion shaft snapped and shot out the rear of the differential housing. Honestly Im surprised it held up as long. Left me stranded a whopping 4 miles from my house. This all leads me to an ultimatum considering my sleeper power goals.

Do I ditch the chassis and implant the powertrain into something like an E30, E36, Miata, S2000, Mk3 supra, Mk2 supra, Subaru, Benz SL....? I considered all these for a bit, researched the possibility of them all based on engine sump location and stock rear end strength. Ultimately the decision was obvious, order a custom rear diff housing, weld on T3 bracket kit, add T3 control arms. This will produce incredible burnouts for sure!

New rear end is going to be based on a Dana 44, 30 spline. Custom width to match Cressida axle using Ford 8.8 disc brakes. I'll be adding a brake bias proportioning valve of course.

CRESIDA - D486
    * DISC BRAKES
    * 5X4.5 LUG PATTERN
    * 55.250" WMS
    * 4.29 RATIO - HELICAL POSI
    * 1310 YOKE
    * ALUMINUM COVER

Also, FREE 5M with A43de trans. 143k, ran decent when removed, cut up harness. Did I mention FREE? Come pick it up.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I was waiting for your story about the demise of the 7.1" diff, they don't even last very long with a 5M and I have seen a few broken at the boneyard. Glad you are keeping the MX72, they are unique although the "is that a Volvo" question gets old. There are no bad design lines on the whole body.

Keep us posted on the progress and cost of your custom axle.

David

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Sounds fun! Though certainly the expensive route. I'd just grab a toyota 8.8 rear axle, it probably wouldn't even need to be shortened to fit this body. You can run the mk3 Supra LSD in it, which is super strong and has a cheap upgrade from Weir available, or the T2 Torsen found in the is300, plentiful and cheap and easy to find!
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Thread Information