Lumbar support won’t deflate

Lumbar support won’t deflate

Hi all, I searched all I could about the lumbar repair, and saw many posts about replacing the bulb. But my problem is that the bulb works perfectly, and inflates all 3 bladders. But the buttons do not release the air. No matter how hard i push them the lumbar bladders stay full. Anyone know a good way to make the bladders release the air, without taking the seat out of the car, and also not destroying the bladders.
    Thanks All, Semper Fi

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Pull the rear seat cover offf. There are vacuum lines that go up to the switch. If you pull those off you should get a massive leak

Deflate lumbar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    Pull the rear seat cover offf. There are vacuum lines that go up to the switch. If you pull those off you should get a massive leak
    Thanks, I figured it might be the way. Is it just the 2 screws on each side to get the back off, or is there some other things that have to come apart.
    Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Just those 4 screws and the knob on the side. Use a couple of pieces of paper towel or masking tape to protect the finish on the screws if you care about that. There's probably something wrong in the valve.

Lumbar Won't Deflate Fixed

Hi All, thanks for the info. I fixed it today. Took out the 4 12mm Hexhead Screws, Removed the Bolster Knob, (very easy, it is held in by a Trapezoid type spring clip, just push it out with the right tool or thin needle nose pliers, and pull the knob off). Then the back just lifts off. Once inside I could easily see the Lumbar Valve and Air lines. They all looked excellent for a 35 yr old car. And with the back off, the valve worked perfectly. So I correctly ascertained that the Valve relief air hole was blocked by cushioning when the back was in the attached position. Also it appeared to me that the air lines were not routed correctly, and were crimped when the seatback was attached. All I had to do was remove a small amount of excess cushioning, and reroute the airlines around the seat frame. Once done I put the seatback in position, and pumped the lumbar up, and then released it. It all worked fine. So Tightened up the screws, put back the knob, (hint-put the spring clip in place first, then press the knob on, the clip will slide over the steel shank and snap on.
    Thanks for the good advice. Semper Fi..

Great write-up, I love it when everything works!
    I'll have to replace the sloppy cargo net elastic soon, plus replace the chrome trim around the edge..
    Any good source for the latter? I think I'll search aliexpress for that as well, the bulb was an easy fix.
    '83 Celica Supra 2.8i Euro spec
    '67 Toyota Crown 2000 Special
    A lot of Audis..

Thread Information