Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Fuel Pump Hanger

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  cagedbear 
#1 ·
Need a pump hanger for an 84 and up MK2. Current one is so far gone I can bend the whole thing like aluminum foil.

#2 ·
Everybody needs this part now! Hopefully you find a good used one, but I'm afraid its about time for us as a group to figure out a good alternative supply for these. Something, just like this...

https://www.amazon.ca/Toyota-23206-35180-Fuel-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B00KTJ86AS

I seriously doubt that will plug into our tank, but we need to start finding these things from other vehicles that are close enough and have parts supply and can be modified with minimal work. That or petition a manufacturer to reproduce ours for us. This is becoming a huge blocking factor. I've restored several gas tanks over the last few years, and the hanger is really hard to restore properly and really easy to destroy when removing the tank from the car.

#4 ·
It's the only place I can remember where the fitting on the hard line is brazed or soldered in place and the fitting on the flexible hose rotates. This has to be why so many folks manage to twist the hard line when trying to take this shit apart. It would almost be easier to just cut the hard line somewhere behind the diff and double flare fittings on the ends and use a coupler or a short flex hose.
The pickup type shown above would need some serious mods to work in our tanks. The external mounting area and fittings look like they'd be easy to work with but the pickup tanks are tall and skinny compared to ours. The internal stuff would have to be quite different and also be nearly identical to the original part to fit in and position the pickup properly in the box.

#6 ·
FWIW, it looks like pretty much every more modern Toyota with a steel tank used the same gasket under there. So at least the plate should have the right hole pattern... It's not super difficult to fab the hanger and the return tube. I did it on my car to get a larger size plumbing it in.

#8 ·
No, the bracket in the inside rarely gets that rusty, its usually the broken tube issue Ray was talking about, and the whole thing gets so rusty it really needs to be sand blasted to fix it right. The hanging bracket and the positive cable fitting on the main plate both should be removed to do that correctly, and its a pain to do either.

Ray, that bracket looks pretty much identical to ours, I'm just quite sure that it isn't. Doubtful it lines up or is exactly the right depth. But as Aaron pointed out, we might be able to buy that, and cut and reweld the bracket. The upper piece does look the same. I would get one from a v6 truck though, the Celica version for our cars actually has a smaller diameter feed line coming out of it.

#9 ·
OK, it's the outside part that deteriorates. I guess that being on the top of the tank, whatever gets up there stays up there, quietly corroding away.

Just happy that mine came from the High Desert, and never saw salt on the roads, or much rain.

#10 ·
I rebuilt mine for better flow and easier hookup by drilling out the tubes and using AN bulkhead fittings with push on hose ends on the inside and immersion safe hose to connect to the pump and return tube. Then 90 degree fittings and AN hose ends for braided hose on the outside. Painted the outside before installing the fittings and used gas tank coating/sealer to 'paint' the internal part of the hangar before installing everything.

#11 ·
Yeah, I no longer need this part.

I borrowed some time at my buddies fabshop and braised in new lines, Everything fit right, pretty sure I can make the bulkhead as well now as I made a template of the whole hanger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.