Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

2020 B58 engine tear down

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Tazmo2009 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Still going to suffer from the problems of all modern BMWs. Cooling system problems, brittle plastic couplers, electronic gremlins, rod bearings, oil pump failures and so forth. Everyone I've known that has a modern BMW has serious problems once they start to get some miles on them. I tell you one thing Toyota mechanics are getting some serious cross training, Mazdas, Subarus and now BMW. I kind of wonder how Toyota's strategy of out sourcing so many of their cars is going to work out over time. We all know GM shot themselves in the foot after slapping new badges on platforms and selling medicore cars.

#9 ·
Well if there anything like modern BMW parts there going to cost a arm and a leg. When I purchased a 318TI for my wife it needed a tune up so I said I might as well replace the spark plug wires. Looked and 4 dam wires were almost $350 and no cheaper on ebay. I know BMW parts are expensive and the 2020 Supra engine has less power than someone its older BMWs

#10 ·
Ironically you'll probably be able to get parts from Toyota cheaper than BMW. I have a brz and parts are almost always cheaper from Toyota sometimes significantly.

#11 ·
Forgot to mention I saw this on the Hagerty website a week or so ago.

GAWD....is that thing "densely packaged" or what! You can hardly call it an "engine", it's so tightly integrated with all the support stuff hanging off and on it.....

#12 ·
Yeah Aaron nailed it. Lots of cool tech in that motor, and out of the box it really does make great power (0-60 in 3.8s, its dynoing at 380 to 400+ rw lbs/ft), and people are easily able to get a lot more out of it (there's a new Supra running 10s already). But they don't build them like Toyota does\used to. In 10+ years with some serious miles, all that plastic crap is going to start failing. A plastic intake manifold with an aluminum heat exchanger filled with coolant inside of it? Yeah, thats a great combination.

#15 ·
Looked very similar to the way VW is building now. We don't do any internal engine work for the BMW but sister brand does for VW. Every one says that they are very reliable to 150k miles. Good thing is we may get a new Z4 to start some new products on, have to see if they'll be a direct bolt on to the Supra. The truth of it is though our R&D fab guy is not a Z4 fan.

#16 ·
Asked at work yesterday and there is a lot of interest in us getting a Supra and starting the development process. The Z4 not so much interest. That said we don't get to decide which cars to buy as that has to come from the higher ups that control the purse strings but the possibility is there. It would give us a crack at the "Japanese" car aftermarket. I know the new Supra is a German car built in Austria, lol. But you don't get a German GTI either (Mexico). We just received a Bentley to tune for a customer and since I haven't been keeping up with $220k cars lately I was shocked to see a VW v8 under the hood. So everyone is involved with everyone else in some way. Just like the old days with Toyota where Yamaha and Lotus were involved with engine and suspension design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.