2020 B58 engine tear down - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forgot to mention I saw this on the Hagerty website a week or so ago.

GAWD....is that thing "densely packaged" or what! You can hardly call it an "engine", it's so tightly integrated with all the support stuff hanging off and on it.....
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Yeah Aaron nailed it. Lots of cool tech in that motor, and out of the box it really does make great power (0-60 in 3.8s, its dynoing at 380 to 400+ rw lbs/ft), and people are easily able to get a lot more out of it (there's a new Supra running 10s already). But they don't build them like Toyota does\used to. In 10+ years with some serious miles, all that plastic crap is going to start failing. A plastic intake manifold with an aluminum heat exchanger filled with coolant inside of it? Yeah, thats a great combination.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

"Disposable" comes to mind.....
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member mutantcolors's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraFiend View Post
    A plastic intake manifold with an aluminum heat exchanger filled with coolant inside of it?
    Reminded me of...

Looked very similar to the way VW is building now. We don't do any internal engine work for the BMW but sister brand does for VW. Every one says that they are very reliable to 150k miles. Good thing is we may get a new Z4 to start some new products on, have to see if they'll be a direct bolt on to the Supra. The truth of it is though our R&D fab guy is not a Z4 fan.

Asked at work yesterday and there is a lot of interest in us getting a Supra and starting the development process. The Z4 not so much interest. That said we don't get to decide which cars to buy as that has to come from the higher ups that control the purse strings but the possibility is there. It would give us a crack at the "Japanese" car aftermarket. I know the new Supra is a German car built in Austria, lol. But you don't get a German GTI either (Mexico). We just received a Bentley to tune for a customer and since I haven't been keeping up with $220k cars lately I was shocked to see a VW v8 under the hood. So everyone is involved with everyone else in some way. Just like the old days with Toyota where Yamaha and Lotus were involved with engine and suspension design.

Thread Information