85 5mge into a 83

85 5mge into a 83

Long story short my 83 5mge engine is seized, I have a 85 donor car I'm about to get. What parts from the 85 will I need to use instead of the 83 such as the wiring harness, vacuum lines, and ecu? Will the engine hook straight to the transmission or will I have to modify it to make it work? And if you really want to know it was my fault it seized and now I am going to spend the time and money to fix what I broke and to get my car running again. I would appreciate the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

You pull the engine out with tranny and it attaches to the new engine. You keep the 83 harness, TB ect, and only install the 85 long block: block, head and cam towers.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

"This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

You are correct,Sir.^^^^^^^^
    To the '85 block:
    ECU,Intake(COMPLETE),distributor.
    Can he use the '85 cylinder head?The EGR is probably different.

Drop the front of the car and raise the ass-end to pull it ALL out.
    I used my '84 intake on an '85 block,no problem. '83's are different.
    The intake manifold has a LOT of vacuum lines.

Do...NOT damage the heater core nipples!
    The transmission will be a bolt-on.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Do I use the tranny from the 83 or the 85?

If its automatic transmission, I think you need to keep your 83 transmission as I recall I think the 84+ has different electronic controls. If its manual, I don't think it matters, rather the 5sp was the same every year. But basically you just want to swap out the basic engine block and cylinder head and transfer all your 83 accessories and peripheral components to the newer engine block. I know its tempting, but really won't save any time trying to leave all the 85 stuff attached to the 85 motor and just drop it in because there are slight differences you'll run into trying to hook everything up to the car, figuring out why this new plug is a different shape than the old plug and/or has four wires instead of five, etc. In the time you'd spend researching the differences on this forum, you could have transferred all the 83 components over to the new 85 long block and had it running.

Plus, this is the best opportunity you'll ever have to go through the 85 motor and replace all the seals and gaskets, timing belt, spark plugs, hoses, etc. Since you need to remove the wiring harness from the original motor, you should clean it up, inspect it, repair any kinks or broken insulation, get a roll of electrical tape, some new split loom sleeve, new retainer clips and re-wrap it before you put it back. It'd be like a new motor with no leaks and no worries about how long that suicide hose is going to last. If you've got a manual transmission, go ahead replace the clutch and throwout bearing now as it will never be easier than while the motor is out. If its automatic, I bet it leaks like a sieve at this age so go ahead and replace the exterior seals and gaskets and put fresh fluid in it. And clean, clean, clean, everything in the engine bay. You likely won't get another chance to clean so thoroughly. If you want to clean the engine bay later with the motor in place, you risk getting soap and water into stuff that doesn't like getting wet and you could never get all the nooks and crannies. I'd repaint the engine block and any other components that are looking shabby too. Its a few more weekends worth of work, but you should make the most of the opportunity.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Jezz Phil. I'm certain that Dr. Jim and I are twin sons of different mothers. Now I'm beginning to wonder just how you fit in. It's scary when I read something that's exactly what and how I would (or maybe did) say myself. But then again, we're all part of this weird, wacky, wonderful family by choice. So much for character judgement. But who needs to worry about that anyway. I've never been all that comfortable around normal people anyway. Us crazies are a way better family than most of the folks many of us are actually related to anyway.
    Oh, in case it's not obvious, I totally agree with Phil.

Thread Information