Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10+ using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Don't mess with Texas!!
    Regards,
    Arch
    '86 Supra MA67
    Brullen 2.5" Exhaust, HKS Fly w/7MGE clutch,ST Springs, RC Intake & TB, 2.8GT & XX emblems, Factory Add on Rear Shoulder belts, Pioneer DEH-P2000 AM/FM/CD w/CDS-P5000 CD Player, Compomotive CXNs 8x16

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    Don't mess with Texas!!
    Oh Gawd! You would have to point that out. I sure hate the "chitty chitty bang bang" on Texas antique plates. Here's a larger image.

It'd be one thing if you had a car from the nineteen teens but on everything else it just doesn't work. Thankfully you can optionally register a vintage plate from the year of manufacture. They give you a little tab with the real expiration date to attach to it.

Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member aerojock's Avatar
    I use a vintage plate from year of manufacture but they never give me a tab sticker to post on it, they just give me the window sticker. It must have something to do with how you have your car registered. It registered as an antique? I have mine registered as a classic but not antique. There are too many restrictions for my liking when you register it as an antique.

Quote Originally Posted by aerojock View Post
    I use a vintage plate from year of manufacture but they never give me a tab sticker to post on it, they just give me the window sticker. It must have something to do with how you have your car registered. It registered as an antique? I have mine registered as a classic but not antique. There are too many restrictions for my liking when you register it as an antique.
    Classic registration is the same price as regular, no restrictions and expires in a year. They expect you to drive it like a regular daily driver. Antique registration is much cheaper, has significant restrictions and expires in five years. They can also give you a window sticker for antique registration with vintage plates as well if you go to the right office where they know what they are doing and ask. I've done it before as one car didn't really have a place the tab would fit, but by default, its a tab. I don't know the official why, but can only guess that its because a window sticker cannot be removed for display. Some people with antique cars do remove the tab for display at car shows and some even have vintage inspection stickers on the windshield where the modern registration sticker would go.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

CelicaSupra.com Member aerojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
    Classic registration is the same price as regular, no restrictions and expires in a year. They expect you to drive it like a regular daily driver. Antique registration is much cheaper, has significant restrictions and expires in five years. They can also give you a window sticker for antique registration with vintage plates as well if you go to the right office where they know what they are doing and ask. I've done it before as one car didn't really have a place the tab would fit, but by default, its a tab. I don't know the official why, but can only guess that its because a window sticker cannot be removed for display. Some people with antique cars do remove the tab for display at car shows and some even have vintage inspection stickers on the windshield where the modern registration sticker would go.
    Thanks, I figured it was something like that. I just know I don't like the restrictions for antique car classification.

It looks a bit odd. The entire car styling if made of angles and straight edges, but the tail lights are roundish...

I agree. They shouldve used Prius tails instead.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10+ using Tapatalk

In my province, Antique plates are in fact "restricted use" plates. Much cheaper annually, but you're limited to roads with a posted max speed of 70KM/h (~45MPH) or less. They are usually installed on very old cars (<1940), farm tractors and other slow vehicles. Oddly enough, the plate is also motorcycle plate sized, so it looks awfully tiny on a car.

I put one on my 1981 Tercel as it qualifies (>25 years old) and I only drive it in town. Equipped with a 3 speed automatic, the car CAN reach 60 mph, but it is a long and scary process

Thread Information