First MKII - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First MKII

I'm still kicking myself for not jumping in on the group buy for Coddingtons and ordering a set of all four in 17x8. But at the time I thought the 17's just looked too damned big and I was perfectly happy with my Compomotives. I'm glad I didn't get the 17x10s tho. When Preston listed his set recently for sale, I had my friend who is the manager at the nearby Goodyear store research it and at the time, the only thing he could get would have meant buying a mismatched set, different brand front and rear. Tirerack showed Potenzas but he checked everywhere and all the warehouses that he could buy from were out of stock at the time, couldn't special order and he could get no confirmation of any more coming. I might have been able to get the Potenzas listed on Tirerack but I took it as a bad omen and passed. However, yes, our stock wheels really did look cool and the scaled up version looked awesome.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member mtymseharmer's Avatar
    The two best investments to go quicker at an AutoX is 1) Seat Time 2) Tires.

There are quite a few 15" options for 200 treadwear tires out there now. However, I beleive only 2 of them have anything wider than 225 which is the Hankook Ventus RS4 and the BFG Rival. There are plenty of options for tire sizes in 17" that would suite our cars. What I would recommend is picking up a set of 15" wheels and putting some 200 treadwear 225/15 tires on them. You will be impressed with how much more grip you will have which in turn makes it more fun.

As I said though seat time is the number 1 investment to get quicker. As inexpensive as autox events are it can be easy to get a lot of seat time.
    1982 P-Type with 1UZFE swap - "DedPewl"
    SCCA Solo Street Modified Class

Quote Originally Posted by mtymseharmer View Post
    As I said though seat time is the number 1 investment to get quicker. As inexpensive as autox events are it can be easy to get a lot of seat time.
    I haven't done it in years, don't know what its like now, but one of the reasons I stopped besides some health problems was that it was hard to get that time. Our local events had so many people that I'd get only 3 or 4 heats in on a Sunday. The rest of the time I was working corners or mostly just waiting around, about 2 hours in between, which for me was enough time to forget what I'd learned the last heat. And those were long days out in the sun from 8am to 5 or 6pm. If it could have been more heats and less HEAT, I might have continued.

One thing you might look into that I never did, find a club in a smaller town. I remember the guys who were really good would travel the other three weekends a month to participate in other regions clubs. They said they could get a whole lot more seat time with the semi-rural clubs due to the much fewer participants.
    Phil D.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

"When our cars were new, there was some truly amazing tires available in the stock size. Goodyear Eagle VR Gatorbacks were the best by far. But when it was time to replace them, they weren't available anymore. The best alternative at the time was Yokohama A008's. Many years later when it was time to replace them.... well you get the idea." quote from Ray85p

I like the replacing them many years later part lol I remember scrambling for a new set of 008R's at minimum of once a year if we were lazy and only ran local events. Ray looks like more parking than driving. But that's good too.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    In the first decade of owning the car, we managed to accumulate about 140K miles. Then we moved from the San Francisco area where just about every weekend during the winter, we drove to Tahoe to ski to the Seattle area where we still are. In the nearly 25 years that we've been here, we've only put around 40K miles on it. It does get driven often, just not very far anymore. A couple of times a year, I just have to do a little late night clandestine road racing. The route I take is about 90 quite rural miles and it typically takes me about 90 minutes.
    Although I used to build NASCAR motors when I was young and have experience setting up race cars as well as some track time in some very fast cars, I was never really into racing others or doing autocross. Those A008's arrived on my landing via UPS. That was a sight!

I watch a guy at an AutoX ( we used to call them Solo II's and now Solo I is called a Time Trial I guess, any way...) with a brand new set of Hoosier Auto Xer's that was going to scrub them in for nationals that year. Made 1 run of 55 seconds and got them done good, all the way down to the cord on both front out side edges. Me and the buddy I just bought the Supra from kind of had an on going thing with them so we kind of thought that was funny.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Yeah, we used to call the real soft, sticky race tires gum balls. For a short time (sometimes very short) they'd stick like stink and then be be trash. When up to temp, they'd also pick up every marble and misc piece of crap they ran over. Those would have to be scrubbed off before the next corner or some serious butt puckering would happen. Usually, the car would end up sticking just enough to barely make the corner but occasionally would lead to a wreck. Then instead of the driver learning a lesson and the rest of us laughing our collective ass off, we'd all have to jump in and fix the car, which was never all that much fun. They also would almost stick in place when hot and the car was stopped for long. This would make the car vibrate like crazy until the crap stuck to them all in one small place got scrubbed off.
    But 55 seconds seems incredibly like an incredibly short time, even for something like those.

I'm in Amarillo and our scene here is sorta big but with only 15-30 cars racing you can get in a few heats of three or four laps. The last event and the next one is a night race. So at least the heat won't kill us. I won't be able to put any new rubber on before the next meet, so I'll probably sit it out. I do have to drive on the tires I have on now and don't want to kill them too fast.

Did an oil change on the motor and transmission yesterday. Went with redline mt90. What a difference! After an afternoon of driving, I am a believer.

Quote Originally Posted by Md.8es View Post
    I'm in Amarillo and our scene here is sorta big but with only 15-30 cars racing you can get in a few heats of three or four laps.
    That's nothing. I remember one we had I think they announced 175 cars and I only got three laps total that day but that's been 20 years ago. I don't know if it'd be more or less today.
    Phil D.

Thread Information