84 MK II saved from the woods. Day 1-3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

84 MK II saved from the woods. Day 1-3

Here is where it starts. Have history with this car going back to when my buddy bought it used in 1988. Helped him put a clutch in it in his driveway a few days later. Later that year we set a personal best for 50 miles on the street of 20 minutes. Back then to us this was a supercar.
    First Pic of the car a few weeks before I got it and the day after it was pulled from "storage" in the woods behind his house. He captioned the pic as "The deceiving picture you post on EBAY when you are trying to sell a car".
    A few weeks later (8/31/19) its on a trailer at my shop and I am still excited to get it. Started right up and backed it off the trailer A little work cleaning the mess up in the shop and it fits inside. Not too bad a deal when you include the junk in the trunk ( A brand new Fidanza flywheel, Doug Thorley tri-y header that is just in need of a good blasting and some hi-temp Cerakote. New PS pump in the bag. Manuals and all the original paper work from when it was bought new. A spare set of flares that are in reasonable shape.) and the Panasports. A/C even still blows cold. Has some rust in the usual places, I guess. Needs a new windshield, battery and tires and I could start driving it on the street. But after reading another post that looks too easy so I'll start tearing it down in the next few weeks to start the prep process. Prepped for what I am not sure yet but I am not worried about winning anything just want to get back and run a real car on a real track again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

From the post title, I was expecting to see a series of pictures starting with chainsaws cutting down several trees to free it from mother nature, followed by the digging it out from where it had sunk four inches into the soil, and then the winching of it up onto a trailer with four flat tires and completely frozen, non-rolling hubs. The deceiving Craigslist pic doesn't look so bad and the rest of the description doesn't sound so bad. I mean how bad could it be if the a/c still blows cold? Good luck and looking forward to the rest of the story.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Thanks for the good luck wish. I was just reading this post https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...amp-Slow-Build so now I think I am really going to need it. But there is plenty of good info there. Just have to see what I find when it gets torn down not looking to build a show car just has to be structurally sound.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Well, I'm pretty confident you will succed.
    Keep us updated, we like ressucitation stories!
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

YESSSSS! You will do the right thing here.
    There are a lot of posts where a lonely Supra has been awakened after years of neglect.
    You know what to do and we will be here,Alabama dude.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

"Heros get remembered, but legends never die" best of luck
    Hidden Content "Who Needs A Radio, 5mge Is Music To My Ears."

I had to leave mine in the woods while I was in the desert for 23 months.

Yours faired well, I'd say.

Nice!! Love to see an MkII brought back to life! I had my 86 parked in my trees for less than a year...when I fill up, the gas tank now leaks at the seam so I cannot fill past 3/8s of a tank now. The seam rusted over that short time...go figure. Sounds like yours did better in Alabama.
    84 P-Type (restoration-1993) 86 P-Type 6M (MkII-DD-2011)
    87 MKIII NA Auto (project for son) 88 4Runner (project-2007)
    92 SC400 (future MkII 1UZ)
    95 Ford E350 29' Motorhome (future home? lol)
    04 Sienna AWD Limited (wifes) 04 Titan LE 4x4 (rainy day/winter driver)

Really, the worst thing you can do to a car is park it under trees. You'd think the shade would help, but on the other hand, trees are constantly raining down sap, bird shit, insects, acorns, pollen, twigs, branches, and of course tons of leaves. All that shit eats away at the paint and worse, collects in all the nooks and crannies where it remains moist and fosters rust. And then assuming the ground under the car is not paved, wafting up from the forest soil is lots of moisture, mold, mildew, crawling insects, rodents and even iron-oxidizing bacteria. Yes, there are dozens of known types of bacteria that dine on metal, but thankfully most are only found in the deep ocean or underground (if you get your water from a private well, you may be familiar with some). Only a few are found in the topsoil. Still, its a nightmarish thought that our mk2s might be like the Cavendish, clones with no immunity to a deadly disease. I know its a stretch, but I finally managed to use that emoticon!
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

I know, I know...trees are terrible, however, I still have 79 trees on my almost two acre property after taking a half dozen down so far. I had to "hide" it not only from my wife's "view" but also anyone who may turn me in as we are not allowed to have vehicles on the property unless on a solid surface. It was just the one year thankfully. I managed to keep it at work several years by "working on it" here and there. I have been trying to put up a building since buying this place in 2012 but the restrictions are asinine! My 4Runner is rotting away parked next to the garage whilst I wait again to get the building approved. Sorry, just venting. lol
    Nice seeing you're still a big part of the community Phil! It's been a while for me. I'm eventually going to start a second YouTube channel for builds & mods whenever I'm able to get my shop built so I have space to work on projects.
    84 P-Type (restoration-1993) 86 P-Type 6M (MkII-DD-2011)
    87 MKIII NA Auto (project for son) 88 4Runner (project-2007)
    92 SC400 (future MkII 1UZ)
    95 Ford E350 29' Motorhome (future home? lol)
    04 Sienna AWD Limited (wifes) 04 Titan LE 4x4 (rainy day/winter driver)

Thread Information