Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

What goes here?

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  rhartmaier 
#1 ·
So this car was disassembled about 5 years ago and then life got in the way and it sat. I finally got around to having it painted and I am almost done with the reassembly. This support is just below the hood latch in front of the radiator. I can see the witness marks that there was something attached here, but all the loose parts have been used and I can't remember what went at this position. Can someone tell me, or better yet submit a photo?

Thanks, Bob

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The oil cooler hard lines that have a loop at the end. It's toyotas shit version of an oil cooler. It bolts on with a bracket.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Cooling Loop for the power steering Pump.

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

From the top

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Car

Through the front with the grill removed.

There is nothing attached to what appear to be two mounting tabs in this photo

I just happen to be replacing the AC Condenser and have taken this apart yesterday.

Dale

#7 ·
My car is a 5-speed and has the tubing loop, but it is on the passenger side. The two holes are on the driver's side. I vaguely recall some sort of plastic panel attached there, but it seems to have gone missing. I also can't see what purpose would be served by a piece of plastic at this position, but then again I never understood the two pieces that live just behind the headlights either. I will have to sort through all the boxes of extra stuff and try to find it. If anyone has a photo I would be grateful. At least I would know what I am looking for!

Bob

#8 ·
These are pics of the driver side.

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Brake Vehicle

1983 5 Speed

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

1984 Automatic

Neither one has anything attached to the center support on the driver side.

#11 ·
Taz,

That's the passenger side with the loop of tubing. I'm looking at the driver's side. It is obvious that there was something there. In my photo it is obvious that the paint around the holes in the two tabs was protected by something. I guess it is not really important, but this kind of stuff drives me bonkers.

Auto part

Bob

#13 ·
I'm quite sure that SilverMKII is correct that that's where the oil cooler is mounted on European models. There is a small plastic panel mounted on the top of the right side of that opening though It's to keep your hands from easily getting into the condenser fan. I removed mine to install one of Greg's wonderful CF covers over that whole opening. It's the perfect solution to keep from dropping tools, etc and will hold a cold beverage as well.
I know that over a lifetime of owning this car, from time to time I've utilized various used and unused factory mounting holes to attach some accessory or another rather than make new holes, which I absolutely abhor doing. I can't imagine what might have been attached to that brace in your car though. But the consensus seems to be that nothing OEM was ever attached there on NA vehicles.

#14 ·
Ray, thanks for your comments. I delayed installing the cover over the fan so I could take the photo. I guess I will install it; I can always remove it later if need be. But it seems that I am out voted, and there is nothing to install on those two tabs in anyway. I am wondering why European spec cars had an oil cooler if U.S. cars do not. Seems if anything it would be the other way around. I know that all MGB's sent to the U.S. had an oil cooler, but not European cars. Has anyone in the warmer climes like Phoenix or Las Vegas ever had a problem with a Supra overheating to the point that an oil cooler is necessary?

#15 ·
.... I am wondering why European spec cars had an oil cooler if U.S. cars do not. Seems if anything it would be the other way around...
High speed driving on the autobahn. Same reason MkIV supras had the hood scoops and rear diff coolers there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.