5M block 7M turbo head will it work?

CelicaSupra.com Member

5M block 7M turbo head will it work?

I am curious can you use your existing MK2 Supra block harness and other stuff and bolt a 7M head on with Turbo component's? I heard there pretty much the same engine? interested to know,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member yota_fanatic's Avatar
    You can bolt the 7mgte turbo manifold to the 5m head, its been done a million times. Search the forums
    7m head will bolt to the 5m block but the 5m pistons are domed for the 2v head. The compression ration would be extremely high.
    You can put 7m pistons in a 5m block.
    1984 White MKII P-Type, 2jzge
    1985 Black P-type 1jzgte vvti
    1996 sc300 2jzget

Need precision welding?

Bigger problem you'll have is getting all the drive belts to line up. The 5M crank pulley won't fit on the 6M crankshaft. This has been done before though. After all the effort all you'll end up with is a slightly less powerful 7M with weaker rods if you use the stock ones.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yota_fanatic View Post
    You can bolt the 7mgte turbo manifold to the 5m head, its been done a million times. Search the forums
    7m head will bolt to the 5m block but the 5m pistons are domed for the 2v head. The compression ration would be extremely high.
    You can put 7m pistons in a 5m block.
    so how do guys build turbo 6M with parts from a 5M and 7M? I could have swore the guy telling me said that's what people do? is is it something totally different he was talking about?

Nobody switches the actual head. You take the 7mgte exhaust manifold and notch it to fit around the steering pump bracket and you bolt the 7m exhaust manifold and turbo on the 5m or 6m head. You tap the main oil line and add a drain to the oil pan

CelicaSupra.com Member revvhappy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLY_GTS View Post
    so how do guys build turbo 6M with parts from a 5M and 7M? I could have swore the guy telling me said that's what people do? is is it something totally different he was talking about?
    To build a Frankenstein "6M" you start with a 7M block and install the 5M head. This nets 200cc more displacement due to longer stroke of the 7M crank. Add 5M domed pistons from 1985 to increase compression. You don't get the benefits of the 4-valve head, but if you're going to add a turbo the 2-valve should move enough air to make a reasonable amount of HP.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    Nobody switches the actual head. You take the 7mgte exhaust manifold and notch it to fit around the steering pump bracket and you bolt the 7m exhaust manifold and turbo on the 5m or 6m head. You tap the main oil line and add a drain to the oil pan
    that's it? lol... can the 5M handle the turbo? is anything else needed to be beefed up

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by revvhappy View Post
    To build a Frankenstein "6M" you start with a 7M block and install the 5M head. This nets 200cc more displacement due to longer stroke of the 7M crank. Add 5M domed pistons from 1985 to increase compression. You don't get the benefits of the 4-valve head, but if you're going to add a turbo the 2-valve should move enough air to make a reasonable amount of HP.
    how much ponies would this get you?

CelicaSupra.com Member revvhappy's Avatar
    The 7M block, crank and rods are more stout than the 5M and will hold up better to pressure from turbo applications.

I have one sitting in my garage that I built with cheap Chinese piston kits. Naturally aspirated it makes 170hp/175tq on a low-reading chassis dyno. Probably close to 180/180 at the wheels. This is with a cheap header and home-made CAI.

If you used the older (less dome, lower compression) pistons and add a turbo, I'll bet low boost would add 50hp fairly easily. I've never built a turbo engine so maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    You guys gave me some ideas so im on the hunt now for a 7MGTE

Thread Information