Manufactured parts

Manufactured parts

I'm genuinely thinking about making quality parts for these cars in my garage when I'm older on a by order basis, from fenders to hoods to sunroofs to interior pieces to engine parts all to OEM specs, I truly think this car community deserves enough parts to finish their cars without emptying their wallets, but I know this could be a stretch but what do you guys think about it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Not knocking you, but you do know how the oem stamped body parts are made? And you plan to do this in your garage?

https://youtu.be/RgcGtlJ6R1w
    Last edited by SilverMk2; 09-12-2019 at 06:15 PM.

yeah I was thinking maybe not body panels that was a bad thought but more like those harder to find parts, maybe side trim and seals for sunroofs, and maybe some fuel level sensors that you can drop right it, fuel pump housings. Stuff like that

CelicaSupra.com Member '82supra's Avatar
    Start practicing now...one part at a time & maybe find a woman who can turn a wrench
    Hidden Content
    DreadBull

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Im all for it, and will support you as well as i can, but here is the thing - most of the hard to find parts are going to take a lot of time and effort to reproduce (that's kinda why they are hard to find) and its incredibly hard to get paid for that time, and when you try there will be some ass-hat on facebook saying stupid stuff like "i can make that just as good out of two toilet paper rolls and some wood glue"

If you decide to go down the rabbit hole ill help as best as i can.
    happy journey
    --
    tstefan
    Hidden Content

The idea sort of has merit but don't bite off more than you can chew. I got into doing vintage Corvette restoration and while yes, virtually every part of a Corvette is reproduced in Taiwan, most of those parts aren't sufficiently accurate, maybe functional, but noticeably different and you lose points for installing them. So a cottage industry has grown up around fixing much of the original stuff. There's two or three guys who've figured out how to restore the clocks. There's a guy you can send your windshield wiper arms to. There's another guy who does rear leaf springs. Another guy who just does horns. Etc. In each case, somebody has spent the time and money to custom make the special tools and jigs and studied how to restore the parts so that the judges can't tell they're not just NOS parts right out of the box. Most of them are retired old guys who don't need to make a living at it, but just do it as an extension of their hobby and to help out the community. Maybe they make enough to cover their costs plus a nickel an hour or something. But that's the only way any Supras are ever going to get restored to original is through the cooperation of the entire Supra owner's community, each of us figuring out how to restore one or two parts and either sharing that knowledge, or if it requires special tooling and skills, offering to do it for others.

I've been for a decade or so mulling over how to go about remanufacturing our dash pads. I kind of figure that when I retire I might give some of my ideas a try. So don't go throwing out your old cracked dashes, but store them in the basement or somewhere they won't get any worse because in eight or nine years, I might be asking y'all to send me a couple dozen cores to experiment on.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Thread Information