Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Handguns. I won't carry these.

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  ddd228 
#1 · (Edited)
My first one was a Taurus revolver and it is complete crap!
Recoil is fine because it is very heavy 38
spl. Ammo is not expensive.
I like Federal ammo: low stink and residue.

[
I have had a .25 Beretta,but it had feeding issues an fact,the little bastard went full auto on me.
It was given to my gun smith. Italian WW 2 officers actually carried these.
NO parts for it because it was made in 1937!
[url=https://imgur.com/99VZKu2][/URL]

Yes,it's new hobby for me.A ROOKIE am I!

I found a GREAT shooting range way up North from me.
In Burlington,WA.
https://northsoundfirearms.com

The shooting range in Kent,WA is not as good.
Range safety is number ONE!
They do NOT allow photos or videos inside the range because there are under cover officers that shoot there.
I've seen a few. One guy looked he was in the Chinese Mafia! One scary-looking dude. Another guy had VERY long hair.
Ammunition for sale at both places,but I have used some dirty ammo.
Frangible ammo is not required in either range.
FMJ's are fine.
This rule seems backwards!
At the Gun Store in Las Vegas,frangible ammo is required. Weird.:rolleyes:
https://thegunstorelasvegas.com
Frangible ammo was terrible in my revolver!Barrel fouling and shells jammed in the cylinder.
The R.O. had to come out and ram-rod the shells out. Embarrassing.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's a fun hobby. I've been an NRA Certified Pistol and Shotgun Instructor as well as an RSO (Range Safety Officer) for about 20 years now.

I'm a 1911 shooter, and my wife has an S&W TRR-8 8-shot 357 she's very good with.

One of our in-laws just finished building a small (25/100 yd) range on his ranch, and there are 600yd and 1,000yd ranges here.

One of these days I'll get my M1 Garand out and show these youngsters How It's Done......

#3 ·
You are too far away to give me lessons,Jim.
My buddies 1911 Colt is a fantastic handgun!

I didn't like shooting an AR-15. Crappy sights,anyway.
The percussion was insane! Maybe the most modifiable rifles!
Yes,there were mods done to it.
I shot a .300 Weatherby... once. I'm a little guy.

#4 ·
My son brought his stepfather's Weatherby 300 Win Mag bolt action rifle to the range one day. I'd offered to buy a full box of ammo for it, and he told me not to bother, because I wouldn't enjoy shooting it more than a few times.

He was right!

#5 ·
I had never got more beaten up by a rifle.
One shot and I was finished with it.
A 44 magnum...once.
I just handed it back to the R.O.
The recoil and the percussion was insane!
People that have fired that beast complained about the hand damage and they were large dudes!
They said it made their hand sore. DUH!

The R.O at The Gun Store said that he caught a Desert Eagle,flying back from the shooter,more than once.
When my buddy shot a 50 caliber Barrett(out doors),I was filming with my cell phone from behind and I dropped it!
It went off like a stick of dynamite! The desert sand blew away for 10 feet.

Then,I back away for the rest of the shots.
Eyes and ears? No,I wanted a flak jacket and a face shield.
Very much like taking a hit to the face with a 2 X 4 and I was 6 feet behind the shooter.

The M-2 was tolerable,from 10 feet back.

#6 ·
The R.O at The Gun Store said that he caught a Desert Eagle,flying back from the shooter,more than once.
I never made a hobby out of firearms, but back in college, I worked part time for a small sporting goods store that sold guns. On Fridays, the shop owner would choose up a selection of guns and take the employees to a range to shoot after work. We got in a Desert Eagle and the guys who worked the gun counter were making a big deal out of it because the movie Robocop had just come out. I don't remember what caliber it was, maybe .41 or .44, but while we were all a bit anxious about shooting it the first time, instead we found that it was quite smooth and recoil more than manageable.

But I've always enjoyed pellet guns. As a little kid I'd had a Daisy BB gun and later a Crossman .22 pneumatic and I was pretty good at it. When I was like 10 years old, my dad bought me a Beeman rifle, which was actually a very fine German made air rifle. Later on my own I bought a German made CO2 rifle with a scope and some pellet pistols. I'd buy those little 2 inch adhesive wax targets and stick them on a cardboard box set about 30 yards and spend hours trying to make that "one ragged hole". I found it very relaxing somehow because you really have to concentrate and shut out all distracting thoughts. And unlike firearms, there was no loud noise. Another good thing was it only cost like two cents a shot. By comparison, with the cost of cartridges today, shooting is a more expensive hobby than restoring Supras. I think the last box of .38s I bought was like $19 and that lasts about 5 minutes. Unfortunately, my parents eventually sold their farm and moved to the City to be closer to my brother and I when they got too old so now I really don't have any opportunity to shoot my pellet guns anymore. I really miss that peace and quiet and solitude.

#7 · (Edited)
Suppressors/silencers are illegal to buy or own in my State.
My 38 is abusive,but not insane.
A 40 or a 41 would be nasty loud.
A silencer would not even require ears.

30 YARDS? I practice @ 10 yards with my handguns and I'm still learning.My 38 is CRAP! The cartridges are not expensive,especially with re-loads. $18 for a box of 50.

I was going to fire a few rounds in my basement and made a bullet trap out of a plastic 5 gallon bucket.,filled with sand
My buddy said...NO! The bucket will explode and make a big mess.OK,I'll take it to the range.
I'll go out on Monday.

My buddy Bob has at least 5 K onto firearms. I won't go that far.He is ready for the zombie invasion!
I would't call him a prepper.
The invasion at that area of the Nevada desert's town folks will defend their property.Area 51.Next week.
Do not go there.Face Book farce.

#8 ·
Suppressors do not make the guns that quiet. They knock it down a bunch, but they're not 'whisper quiet' like you see in the movies.

And if the round you're firing is supersonic, all bets are off.

it's not the gunpowder that makes a rifle CRACK! when you fire it, it's bullet breaking the sound barrier.

The only really quiet gun I've ever seen was a suppressed 22LR with subsonic ammo. The loudest sound was the action cycling, kind of a subdued 'clack-clack'.

#2 was a suppressed MAC-10, but in full-auto the mechanism made so much noise you could hear it 50' away.

Totally silent firearms are a myth.

#10 ·
On his 21st birthday, first day it was legal for him to do so, my buddy bought a S&W 500 with a 10.5" barrel. I blew my old toilet into dust with 2 shots.

Aside from that, my other gun enthusiast friend got his first AK about 15 years back. It's always a riot to shoot. That and the 500 are quite comparable to fire. Punchy but manageable.

#11 ·
On his 21st birthday, first day it was legal for him to do so, my buddy bought a S&W 500 with a 10.5" barrel. I blew my old toilet into dust with 2 shots.
Great idea! The garbage collecting here won't pick up a toilet (or bricks or tile or shingles or any of that sort of thing), rather you have to take it to the dump yourself and its like $75 a pickup truck load regardless. A lot of old toilets sit at the curb for months till people finally figure out that the city won't pick them up. When I replaced one, I broke it up with a hammer and put the pieces in the trash a little at a time. Blowing it up would be a lot more fun. ;)

#15 ·
I applied for and was allowed to buy a hand gun in my State. The background "Check" was done by the state and federal people in charge. If I was denied that purchase,they would tell me.It's legal for me to own a hand gun for home defense.
The invaders are here,already.Theft,B&E,property damage and trespassing is in my neighborhood and it has increased.
A few shootings,blocks away. Big city=big trouble.

WE have 2 large Cane Corso dogs,dead bolts on the doors and effective outside lighting in addition to (4 )1080p CCTV cameras,that I watch most of the time.
I'm on the defensive to protect myself,my house and my stuff against theft.
The B & E scares me the most.(The big dogs are just 100 pound puppies)

#16 ·
That's why I got back into firearms when I was living in Kalifornia. TOO many weirdos, illegals, and released CRIMINALS running around.

I keep a 12 ga with 00 buck on my side of the bed, and my wife keeps her 357 by her side of the bed.

And we have a 70 lb Pit Bull to alert us.

#18 ·
It becomes obvious that crimes are on the rise and we do what we can. The Cops cannot protect us.We can.
My new hobby also provides personal protection.
I deleted part of my first post for personal reasons.This guy shares too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.