Original molding trinm and aftermarket?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    156

    Original molding trinm and aftermarket?

    I was curious ive seen original trim that clips into the holes and other thinner stuff that's like stick on, is the stick on aftermarket? original trim I always see in bad condition whats the deal with that?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Auburn AL
    Posts
    81
    I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean but... If you're talking about the width of something like body side molding meaning "the thinner stuff" then yes that is probably after market that was installed with double sided tape. Most original across brands that I have seen over the years has been attached with clips of some sort or really early cars nuts on studs that go through holes in the panel. My guess is that if rust starts in the panel and spreads to the studs or clips in the trim. Just my guess

  4. #3
    CelicaSupra.com Member drjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NoCo / Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    3,991
    "What's With That?" is that these cars are 32 to 37 years old, and most weren't treated very well after they became used cars.

    You have to remember that these were $1000 cars at one time, with all that goes along with it. I saw the same thing happen to any number of American Muscle Cars after their prices bottomed out, and before the whole "Collector Car" got really going strong. They got cheap, and were treated as cheap cars with poor or no maintenance, and much abuse.

    Japanese "rust proofing" was almost non-existent back then, and one British magazine said these cars would just "dissolve" if allowed to stay wet. I've looked at cars that lived their entire lives at the beach in Southern California, ungaraged, and they all had holes in the body you could stick your fist through. And the cars that lived in desert areas, like mine, have excellent bodies, but the plastic parts used in the interior are just disintegrating in my fingers.

    - Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

    OH, What A Feeling!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    "What's With That?" is that these cars are 32 to 37 years old, and most weren't treated very well after they became used cars.

    You have to remember that these were $1000 cars at one time, with all that goes along with it. I saw the same thing happen to any number of American Muscle Cars after their prices bottomed out, and before the whole "Collector Car" got really going strong. They got cheap, and were treated as cheap cars with poor or no maintenance, and much abuse.

    Japanese "rust proofing" was almost non-existent back then, and one British magazine said these cars would just "dissolve" if allowed to stay wet. I've looked at cars that lived their entire lives at the beach in Southern California, ungaraged, and they all had holes in the body you could stick your fist through. And the cars that lived in desert areas, like mine, have excellent bodies, but the plastic parts used in the interior are just disintegrating in my fingers.

    - Jim
    I am aware of these things im just say original trim seems to be non existent period like the rocker moldings...I figured in places that don't have rust issues they would have at least survived on some but I always see the aftermarket ones

  7. #5
    CelicaSupra.com Member supraz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    885
    The original Toyota sourced side mouldings had metal inserts that attached to the body with clips that passed through holes in the sheet metal. Later Toyota sourced side mouldings were supplied with double-sided adhesive.

    The metal inserts in the mouldings rust away causing the older style to ripple. Even on an otherwise pristine car, the location of the poorly rustproofed inserts held water and the metal is in amazingly poor shape.

    I don't know when the change over took place. I suspect that all original build cars used the metal inserts, but Toyota replacement trim at some point transitioned to the double sided adhesive.

    https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...ble+sided+tape

    https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...ble+sided+tape
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

  8. #6
    Founding Member pdupler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    6,179
    Seems like somebody at one point found after an exhaustive search some aftermarket side moulding material that he said was a dead ringer for the original shape, but was more flexible and came in roll so the only bad part was the ends you cut off to length were not like the originals. But I guess would be better than rusty, or too thin. I looked for that thread and couldn't find it, maybe I'm remembering something from way back in the email listserv days. Anyone remember that?
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

    "I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

  9. #7
    CelicaSupra.com Member RedP85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Montréal, QC
    Posts
    6,986
    Iirc the stick-on came along around 1994.

    And Phil, i think the roll that some purchased and sell in lenght were the the seat chrome back trims.

    For the side molding, I've never read about a near perfect match. All aftermarket stuff were all to thin. Some had acceptable width, but thickness has always been the main issue.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

  10. #8
    Founding Member pdupler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    6,179
    Quote Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post
    Iirc the stick-on came along around 1994.

    And Phil, i think the roll that some purchased and sell in lenght were the the seat chrome back trims.

    For the side molding, I've never read about a near perfect match. All aftermarket stuff were all to thin. Some had acceptable width, but thickness has always been the main issue.
    For the seat back chrome, it was 7/16" door edge guard and it doesn't go around the tight bends at the bottom very good without buckling. But I could have sworn somebody posted that they found some side molding that was a dead ringer but then when the subject came up again some years later with somebody else trying to find some, at that point it the conversation turned to all that could be found being too thin. Maybe the original purchaser was over selling what they'd found or maybe it was already out of production.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

    "I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

  11. #9
    CelicaSupra.com Member drjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NoCo / Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    3,991
    I bought a roll (a couple, actually) of the "seat trim" stuff on eBay. It looks very close to OEM. The "buckling" problem can be reduced using a heat gun as you work it into place, along with a few carefully placed "pinks" cut in the trim where it wraps around the seat back.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

    OH, What A Feeling!

  12. #10
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I bought a roll (a couple, actually) of the "seat trim" stuff on eBay. It looks very close to OEM. The "buckling" problem can be reduced using a heat gun as you work it into place, along with a few carefully placed "pinks" cut in the trim where it wraps around the seat back.
    have a link? what about the rubber moulding stuff people used can that be purchased too? I wonder what the market would be for reproduction molding?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •