'86 MKII Renewal/Refresh - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There's a sticky in the FAQ section about original paint trim codes and colors. For painting underhood brackets and stuff like the brake booster, Eastwood sells a kit that sort of replicates the gold cadmium plating with its red and green iridescent highlights. If you are obsessive-compulsive like me, it doesn't look enough like the real thing, but it probably looks better than just painting everything black. Eastwood also sells a number of other paints intended to imitate the appearance of various plated and bare metal finishes. For your manifold, blast all the rust off it and spray it with dry graphite lube, an old hot-rodders trick. I'm not a fan of manifold paints or coatings because they always burn off eventually and look worse than if you'd done nothing, then can't easily be fixed without completely refinishing. But graphite can be reapplied/touched up indefinitely without disassembly. Toyota stopped using the old cork pan gaskets in 83 or 84 and instead just used a form-in-place-gasket (fipg).
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by phils303 View Post
    ...Does someone know of a catalog of authentic colors from the MKII's production runs? For some reason I've got this sick desire to start agonizing over that detail.
    http://www.toyotareference.com/supra/1982-1986

My'84 blue is 8B4. Grey for an '86? Super silver metallic?

TOYOTA Toyota Cars86AVALONCAMRYCOROLLACOROLLA iMMIRAIPRIUSPRIUS cPRIUS vYARISYARIS iAToyota Trucks/SUVs4RUNNERLAND CRUISERRAV4SEQUOIATACOMATUNDRAToyota Crossovers/VansC-HRHIGHLANDERSIENNAVENZA RETIRED Classic Toyota CarsCRESSIDAECHOMATRIXPASEOSOLARASTARLETTERCELClas sic Toyota Sport CarsCELICACOROLLA FXCOROLLA SPORTMR2SUPRAClassic Toyota Trucks/SUVs/VansFJ CRUISERPREVIAT100TRUCKVAN VINTAGE Vintage Toyota Cars2000GTCARINACORONACORONA MKIICROWNSPORTS 800TIARAVintage Toyota TrucksHILUXSTOUT LEXUS Lexus CoupesLFALCRCSCLexus CarsCTESGSHSISLSLexus SUVsGXLXNXRXTX SCION Scion CarsFR-SiAiMiQtCxAxBxD EMAIL TOYOTAREFERENCE.COM ...IS MOVING TO IMPORTARCHIVE.COM SUPRA 93-98 4TH-GEN 86-92 3RD-GEN 82-86 2ND-GEN 79-81 1ST-GEN HEY! LOOKING FOR MORE THAN JUST PAINT CODES AND TOUCHUP PAINT? FIND BROCHURES, COMMERCIALS, SPECS AND MORE AT THE NEW ARCHIVE: importarchive.com/toyota/supra/1982-1986 Celica Supra 2.8L 82-86 Chassis Code: MA61 Engine Code: 5M-GE *1986 model year was sold in small quantities to compensate for delayed MA70 released in 1986.5 TOUCH-UP PAINT SHIPPED DIRECT Click on your colorbar to order >> COLOR GALLERIES8283848586 Beige Metallic (4A5) Blue Metallic (896) Camel Metallic (4D3) Dark Blue Metallic (8B4) (Deep) Maroon Metallic (379) Gloss Black (202) Light Blue Metallic (889) Light Blue Metallic (894) Mahogany Metallic (3C2) Red Metallic (3A1) Rose Gray Metallic (3C7) Silver (Haze) Gray Metallic (141) Super Deep Red (3F2) Super Red (3D1) Super Silver Metallic (150) Super White (040) Super White (035) Terra Cotta (3A7) Red/Black (299) 391+202 (Silver/Haze) Gray/Dark Gray (2B8) 141+140 Rose Gray/Mahogany (2K7) 3C7+3C2 Lt Blue/Dark Blue (2P3) 894+8B4 Mahogany/Deep Maroon (2P4) 3C2+379 Dk Blue/Super Silver (2U4) 8B4+150 Copyright Darren Zayman 2003-2019. This website is a personal project and is not affiliated with Toyota NA Inc nor any other Toyota division. The Toyota, Lexus and Scion names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Corporation. Information and images on this site are copyrighted and may not be used without explicit written consent. Dealership print brochures and television commercials are copyrighted by their respective owners. Information on this page is constantly changing and you should not rely on 100% accuracy.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys, I appreciate the direction pointing and now I feel so much better about my original paint color knowing that instead of gray, it's actually super silver metallic! Plenty of fodder to obsess over during any lulls while waiting for parts or another paycheck.

Pics soon on engine bay cleanup. The rebuild kit came in and mechanic can start making progress again. The pistons certainly look to be new old stock, not Toyota but NOA (USA division of Nippon Piston Ring Co. Ltd.) Another round of parts on the way as well.

The one thing my mechanic still can't seem to get over is the lack of overall wear that he's seeing. Other than the shot-to-hell rings and deterioration to the gaskets, just way less than he's expecting for 225K miles.

Been a while since I updated. Been busy with work and my mechanic buddy has been working on jobs that pay in money rather than beer and goodwill. Block is back from machine shop and waiting for reassembly. ... and I gather parts.

Well you can officially color me red. The car's not gray, not silver, it's dark blue metallic. In my defense, the front end was re-shot before my ex-wife bought the car. That was a crappy paint job that has not aged well. The Toyota original everywhere else is still glossy. They over-painted what was originally black hood and fenders and that definitely looks gray to me. When I just view the backend though, I'll concede that it is a blue. The story of how the Supra came to me will be another chapter. or likely a different post.

Interesting note during disassembly, I saw a big 6M stamped on the timing cover. On the side of the engine, the serial number is definitely 5M. The damage to the nose must've included the timing cover too.
    tcover.jpg 5mser_190412.jpg

Did the preliminary sandblast of the rust area beneath the battery. Cleaned up it's not as distressing to look at. Problem with the air compressor kept us from doing a complete job. There is some rust damage to the bracket that sits in the corner at the front end between the frame rail and the nose. Looks like there's attachments to the wheel assembly. I haven't yet found an illustration of this. I don't think it's too bad, but if salvage yards kept the inventory that they used to, I know I'd replace it.

Block is back from the machine shop, Rick's working on the head in his time and I gather parts. This morning my chore is final cleanup on the engine parts that will be powder coated. They may get it this week or next if I can get my act together. The painter at work that's doing that seems even more excited to see my color choice than I.
    Last edited by phils303; 11-09-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: fixed pics

Quote Originally Posted by phils303 View Post
    Well you can officially color me red. The car's not gray, not silver, it's dark blue metallic.
    I repainted an 84 in the original factory 8B4 dark blue. I sold it to a friend of mine who, apparently a bit color blind, has always referred to it as grey even though he knows very well that it was blue.

I used to have a boss who was totally colorblind. I'd make charts and graphs and maps for him to use in a presentation, make sure that he could differentiate the colors in greyscale and then I'd have to coach him on which shades were which color so that he could memorize them. He'd call them out as red, blue, green or whatever to his audience and they'd never know that he couldn't tell one from another. But I learned a good tip for making any kind of graphics. Photocopy your work on a black & white copier and check to see if you can still interpret it. If not, go back and adjust your colors until it looks good in black and white too. Apparently there's lots of people out there who have some level of colorblindness. Maybe that explains why the majority of cars are non-color colors like white, silver, black and grey. You buy a red or blue car and half the population thinks its grey anyway.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

As a red/green colorblind owner of a white supra, i resemble that remark... I just sold my light blue one recently, i swear i thought it was grey until i saw it in person.

If you had the block decked, make sure you have the timing cover machined down to match. That stupid thing has bit a few people for sure.
    Hidden Content 86 parts car maybe some day race car? 3x cars, 36x brake caliper pistons.
    "You need to update your signature Gamble" - Dave

CelicaSupra.com Member aerojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    As a red/green colorblind owner of a white supra, i resemble that remark... I just sold my light blue one recently, i swear i thought it was grey until i saw it in person.

If you had the block decked, make sure you have the timing cover machined down to match. That stupid thing has bit a few people for sure.
    was that your parts car?

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    They ran out of the 5mge lower timing covers sometime in 85 it appears, and just started using the 6m ones on all 5m/6ms as a cost savings thing I'm guessing. Yeah, many of us have been there, see that stamping and then get all excited, check the block vin and go awwwww.

On the plus side, you actually need that cover if you ever want to build a 6mge and run the 7m or 6m crank pulley.
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Really wasn't any excitement that I might have anything other than a 5m. More scratching my head at possible frankensteining before I started driving it. Makes perfect sense for an Oct 85 production date and understanding manufacturers thoughts on inventory, that explanation seems the likeliest possibility. In the 80's wasn't Toyota supposed to the model for efficiencies in supply chain, blah, blah?

Cleanup continues as I manage my own just-in-time supply chain on this project.

Thread Information