Glass roofs?

Thread: Glass roofs?

Glass roofs?

I did search a little bit to see if anyone had the idea of glass sunroof panels, but didn't find anything here. So the question is what does anyone think of it? Would a glass panel (obviously bordered), be feasible or would it compromise the integrity of the roof and/or other parts of the bodies of the MA60?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Cutting a large hole in a roof does cause some issues.
    A uni-body car depend on that structure!
    Maybe your car is NOT a hard top.
    Our "sunroofs" are prone to leaks.
    Dave in Seattle. I keep LATE hours.Hidden Content
    '84 type "L" ,Auto ,daily driver. Dk blue.

Somebody did it before, like decades ago, using a glass sunroof from another car. I don't remember for sure, but I think I remember it was an 80s Honda Prelude. If you search for Prelude you might be able to find a thread about it or it may have been back in the email listserve days before the forums.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I'm guessing you're talking about more glass than just turning an existing sunroom panel into a glass one. With a solid structural frame around the perimeter, I can't imagine it'd be any weaker than our stock roof, but you'd be adding a decent bit of weight to the top of the car and change the handling characteristics with the change in the center of gravity.
    I've seen a number of these cars in junkyards over the years, and the roofs don't hold up too well in accidents, though they generally hold up well enough to keep the occupants safe. Structurally, I don't think I'd have any worries about putting in a larger glass roof personally.
    85 P-Type, White over Maroon Leather, bone stock

My car has a glass moonroof assembly from a Toyota Solara. Detailed the build thread in my signature. It is a non-trivial custom installation.
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    2000 Lexus LS400
    2007 Lexus LX470

Nah just the sunroof panel; whilst a greenhouse roof would be somewhat appealing I'd be too worried over the weight to be willing to do that. I was just thinking of a different way of replacing my rusty sunroof panel.

I've got my sunroof panel on the floor of my garage currently, waiting on the heat wave to break so that I can do some touch-up to it. With the mounting points being so far inboard, there wouldn't be much space left for glass and it'd look crazy if you tried to use the stock footprint/shape. By the time you came up with a custom mounting solution and fab work for it, painting the carbon fiber one would be cheaper and easier. I say this as someone that likes to cut on cars and mod them with some custom fab work.
    85 P-Type, White over Maroon Leather, bone stock

Probably the easiest solution would be to find an aftermarket moon roof that is larger than the stock sun roof. Then cut the stock hole larger.

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Thats what we did, but, it was hardly easy.

Phil, that drop in Prelude glass moon roof thing is a myth. I talked to the guy who did it, he did the same thing we did to Dean's car. Also, I compared a mk2 sunroof to every single gen of Prelude sun roof, and every other one I could find at the wrecker. Very few sunroofs are as wide as ours actually.

Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

I figured it wasn't just a drop-in and probably needed some cutting. But I like that tilt feature. Both my Jaguars have the sunroofs with tilt. When I have to park outside in the sun, I put the reflector in the front windshield, tilt the roof and slide the shade back an inch to vent some of the heat. Makes a huge difference.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Thread Information