Rear diffs 3.73 vs 4.30

CelicaSupra.com Member

Rear diffs 3.73 vs 4.30

I have a 4.30 in my 85 now but a spare 3.73 from a 82 I am parting out, What is better and what are the pros and cons to each? Sorry im a newbie to these things... Also how much do each diffs go for? my buddy said the 3.73 is hard to find but didn't really know why its better lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I have an 85 that had a 4.3. It whines at highway speeds, the car was running at 4K on highway. Had it rebuilt. Less noise but still there. I was going to go 4.1 but found a brand new never used 3.73 in box online. Installed and love the way it drives. I have a habit of second gear starts, with 4.3 it did this without problems. Even the 4.1 (had an 83) was able to do this. Now itís just stutters a little. That is the only issue I have. But one I can correct by using first gear to start. One other benefit your now switching into second before your rear wheels go into intersection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdream View Post
    I have an 85 that had a 4.3. It whines at highway speeds, the car was running at 4K on highway. Had it rebuilt. Less noise but still there. I was going to go 4.1 but found a brand new never used 3.73 in box online. Installed and love the way it drives. I have a habit of second gear starts, with 4.3 it did this without problems. Even the 4.1 (had an 83) was able to do this. Now it’s just stutters a little. That is the only issue I have. But one I can correct by using first gear to start. One other benefit your now switching into second before your rear wheels go into intersection.

so its less noise on the highway and better off to start in first then 2nd, anything like a difference in fuel economy or speed off the line ect…?

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Fuel economy will be better. Less revs. The 5m is not a powerful engine and if you donít do burn outs go with the 3.73.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdream View Post
    Fuel economy will be better. Less revs. The 5m is not a powerful engine and if you don’t do burn outs go with the 3.73.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ok I understand, I plan to do a 7mgte swap will either of these give me a issue?

No you will like it better with the turbo. So you can enjoy the higher revs to get boost.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    awesome! I don't know why but im seriously addicted to this car... I keep seeing in my head what I want it to look like when its done and I just keep finding out more that I keep liking

You'll drop your revs at every speed about 15% with the 3.73s at the expense of acceleration. If you have more power you can offset that loss of acceleration. Personally I love the 3.42s in my car. I'm about 2600 RPM at 80 MPH

I have the 4.30 in my '85, and it's a bit "busy" on the highway, but sure scoots around town.

Since I don't do any cross-country cruising, the 4.30's are fine for me. If you regularly drive the car at 65~75MPH, you might be happier with the 3.73's, but you'll lose some "snap" around town.
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

With 3.73 your car will be slower in acceleration 0-60 as your gears are longer, and with 4.30 it will feel quicker around the town/low speed driving. Look at it this way- longer gears (3.73) is for fuel economy or cars with a lot of HP. Shorter (4.30) for sporty/spirited driving with cars that have small amount of HP. With that said if you interested in selling your 3.73 please let me know. My 2JZ sucks with 4.30 gears.

Thread Information