Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Need help: Remove Power Pump Steering Shaft Seal?

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Shyzah 
#1 ·
I messed up the title, its the power steering pump.

I have the pump dissassembled and I have replaced every seal but the shaft seal. I do not know how to take it out. I though the shaft comes out and then the seal would be pryable with a flat head but i cant see how to get the shaft off. I dont see any snap rings.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10+ using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
It is a pressed in seal. So a seal puller carefully used should do it.
Green Text Black Font Light

Looking at the exploded drawing shows a snap ring behind the seal holding the bearing in the housing. Then another one in front of the rotor and vane assembly. So you would have to take the complete pump apart to get to that one. Also the shaft is probably a press fit into the bearing and the bearing is a press fit into the housing.
With the puller you just slide the hook through the rubber part of the seal trying to stay away from the shaft and rock the seal out (pry gently). Just keep in mind if you gouge the shaft then you wasted your time trying to replace the seal.

HF Seal puller

#8 ·
#4 ·
Another way is to use a non-tapered wood screw and a small slide hammer.
You may choose to MAKE a hook to jam into the seal to pry it out.
Use the end of the shaft as a fulcrum.
Just carefully drill a small hole into the metal part of the seal and use a wood screw.Not a self-tapping one.
You want to avoid metal chips in there.

#5 ·
I already did that and failed to find a sliding hammer :/ the local rental one was huuuggeee. I did put a flat head against the bottom head of the screw and tap it with a hammer for 10 minutes but seal didnt budge.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10+ using Tapatalk

#6 ·
OK,I believe you!
Drill small hole in the metal part of the seal and use a little bigger screw.
You may use a HEAT GUN to soften the seal and the aluminum housing.
The aluminum will expand and allow seal removal. It will also soften the FIPG if it was used to seal the seal.
Use a long-ass wood screw. Maybe 2 of 'em.

#9 ·
just tap tap tap the shaft out with a brass hammer or use a press. It is just press fit into the bearing behind that seal. I recommend replacing the bearing and seal if it was leaking, as the leaking PS fluid probably contaminated the grease inside the sealed bearing and it won't be long until your power steering pump starts to go SCREEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Once the shaft is out, it is pretty easy to remove the bearing and seal with a punch.

#11 ·
There is a shoulder on it, so it will only come out in one direction (towards the seal side) There is a snap ring behind that seal you can remove before pushing the shaft out to make it easier, as it has a small circlip that holds the bearing on the shaft, so when you press the shaft out, the bearing will come with it. If you just push the shaft out without removing the snap ring, often enough pressure will pop the circlip off the shaft and it comes out without the bearing.

I use a screwdriver to bend the seal over at the top edge all the way around so it is easy to remove, then press on the splined end (with a piece of soft metal on top of the splines to prevent damage) to pop the shaft out when rebuilding the pumps. If I can't get the seal out I just push on the shaft until the little circlip releases. Most Toyota PS pumps are the same this way.

Look at the TSRM starting page SR-20. They recommend just using a chisel to remove the seal, then remove the snap ring, then hammer the shaft and bearing out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.