body parts

Thread: body parts

body parts

I read posts from time to time but don't know that I have ever posted. I don't do any social media!
    84 P-type manual, 123k all original 2nd owner for 25 yrs
    I have searched the earth over for new parts, every time i find something, it comes back "no longer available". spent about 4k 2 yrs ago, clutch, water pump, crank pulley turned 180 and re-cut, plugs, wires, brake hoses, calipers, pads, original wheels restored to new and tires and probably a few more I can't think of after it sat for 10 yrs.
    Runs great and still handles! I've looked everywhere I can think of, even Japan, for body moldings. A few are starting to rust underneath the rubber and look crinkled. Anyone have any suggestions? After market? The car is in excellent condition inside and out just need a handful of items on the exterior to get it looking like new again!
    Also, head light whiskers.
    Thanks for any help out there!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

There was a very recent thread on body side moldings. Unfortunately there is no source for an exact match. Finding rust-free used parts and restoring them is one alternative. But I believe cosmetic replicas could be fabricated from cellular pvc. I'd try it myself, but I'm sitting on a hoard of NOS parts so I don't need any. Hoping somebody else here who has woodworking equipment will try it. Look in Home Depot, there's a whole isle of wood moldings, and at one end is a section of outdoor moldings made out of cellular pvc in at least a few shapes for inspiration. One isle over is a small section with raw cellular pvc lumber. The stuff can be cut and shaped with ordinary woodworking power tools, but there's an extra step between sanding and painting it to produce a smooth finish. You can look for youtube videos on how to work with the stuff. But our molding strips would be dead simple for any cabinet maker. Paint them the correct sheen of semi-gloss black and nobody but you would know.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Never thought about ppvc for those moldings, would work for the rocker moldings also. Would not be too hard to get a custom cutter made to the exact profile then they could be run off on a shaper. Never thought about a wood worker making these. About a 30 second search turned this up: custom molding knives.
    Looks like some one that has access to a shaper and around $100 could get this done. Pretty good idea Phil.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

We'll have to wait to see how good an idea it is after somebody tries it.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

I was thinking... This should be possible if you have a router as well. Instead of getting custom molding knives, you could get a custom router bit. I did a little research and found a company that will make custom router bits. I'm gonna look into this and get a quote from them since practically all the trim on my car is shot.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I can repro them but I need a original set, mine are those aftermarket ones, I would do it without the metal inserts to solve the rusting issue, I have been looking but here in Toronto im not have a easy time finding I guess because they all rusted out lol...

Router would work too. Just have to take a lot of passes depending on the amount of material to remove. The rocker molding would be the worst of the 2 just because, if I am remembering right, it has a peak to it, not flat like the body molding that runs across the fenders and the doors. Hope it works for someone.

Thread Information