Part number for the 5M-GE starter?

CelicaSupra.com Member

Part number for the 5M-GE starter?

Hey folks, I mentioned in the What Did You Do thread last month that I had some starter problems. I gave Dragon's starter a clean when I got it off the car, but I forgot to note down the part number (and since the sticker faces into the engine...). Anyone have the part number handy? I'm looking for a rebuild kit and matching the part numbers first would be sensible (Dragon is a 1984MY if it makes a difference). If I find a suitable kit I'll post a link.

Side note, Toyota UK (at least) list two possible starters for the 5M, a 1KW and a 1.4KW motor, and guess what? The 1.4KW is no longer available, and even the 1KW version is a good 300. They didn't know anything about rebuild kits, annoyingly.

Props to Denso for making the motor repairable though!
    Rob - 100% British
    Hidden Content
    "Dragon" - 1986 White P-Type (UK model), 5M-GE, manual, digital dash, cone air filter & stainless-steel exhaust, 176HP, Beloved DD
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Hi, Rob!

I just got a Rebuilt-by-Denso starter for my 1985, and the number on it is 280-0107. It's rated at "12V 1.4kW", and there's a "QI 26M" printed on the label also.

HTH!

- Jim
    1985 5-speed "Ms. Swan"

OH, What A Feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by Gargravarr View Post
    Anyone have the part number handy? I'm looking for a rebuild kit and matching the part numbers first would be sensible (Dragon is a 1984MY if it makes a difference). If I find a suitable kit I'll post a link.

Side note, Toyota UK (at least) list two possible starters for the 5M, a 1KW and a 1.4KW motor, and guess what? The 1.4KW is no longer available, and even the 1KW version is a good 300. They didn't know anything about rebuild kits, annoyingly.

Props to Denso for making the motor repairable though!
    It seems like there is a Toyota rebuild available:
    28100-45050-84 STARTER,REMAN G/R 12V 1.4KW,12V 1.4KW
    Production Date: 08/1981-08/1983, 08/1983-12/1985
    US$ 218.03
    There does not appear to be a forward reference of this part number but a price is still listed. This generally indicates that the part is still available.
    The only way to tell for sure is to contact a Toyota parts department and ask. I assume that your Toyota Parts person knew what he was talking about and this isn't available.
    The ToyoDIY.com site does not list the rebuild with the -84 suffix. You may want to ask them specifically about this part.

1985 European RHD Supra MA61R-BLMQFW
    28100-41060 12V 1.0KW
    28100-45050 12V 1.4KW This seems to be the same starter motor as in North America so hopefully the above part is still available to you.
    Black 1983 P Type 5 Spd, Cloth Interior, BBK,HRE 17" Wheels, HKS Exhaust
    White 1984 P Type Auto, Leather Interior, Sunroof, Digital Dash

Thread Information