"Putting the "T" on 5MGTE" anyone here do it?

CelicaSupra.com Member

"Putting the "T" on 5MGTE" anyone here do it?

Came across this link to this old site,

http://www.oocities.org/suprasupreme...G6lLH5vtiSKgWY

Looks very easy and maybe not too expensive, Anyone ever done it and can comment on the results and if any serious gains in HP or issues with doing it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Funkycheeze's Avatar
    It has been done on here literally hundreds of times. Do some searching.
    '84 P-type, 5spd, Super red, black/grey leather - 2JZGTE swap, Precision 6262 on cast manifold, ECUmaster black with 875cc/min injectors, 465 WHP at 17 psi, built R154 with OS Giken twin plate, one piece driveshaft with 1310 joints, Truetrac with 3.73 R&P, 450 lb/in front coilovers, 300lb/in rear springs, Image BBM wheels 17x8 and 18x10, 4 corner BBK, AGX shocks, Whiteline bars, poly bushings, T3 GTX2 front control and steering arms etc. etc.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkycheeze View Post
    It has been done on here literally hundreds of times. Do some searching.
    I try doing searches but many things come up as deadlinks or super super old...

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BILLY_GTS View Post
    super super old...
    We learned early on (back in the '90s) that the use of an RRFPR (FMU) was hit or miss. When you missed it was usually catastrophic melt down. Fuel and spark management consist of boost-referenced fuel pressure (FMU) and ignition retard (MSD). In the late '90s there was a shift to following Reg Riemer's lead and we moved on to swapping the 7mgte and everything else needed from a donor Mark3. Or using stuff like Megasquirt or even better commercial programmable engine management. Lots of threads on here. Try searching RRFPR or FMU or megasquirt.
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1988
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4SFED View Post
    We learned early on (back in the '90s) that the use of an RRFPR (FMU) was hit or miss. When you missed it was usually catastrophic melt down. Fuel and spark management consist of boost-referenced fuel pressure (FMU) and ignition retard (MSD). In the late '90s there was a shift to following Reg Riemer's lead and we moved on to swapping the 7mgte and everything else needed from a donor Mark3. Or using stuff like Megasquirt or even better commercial programmable engine management. Lots of threads on here. Try searching RRFPR or FMU or megasquirt.
    awesome thank you for the reply

And then in the 2000s we all discovered JZ swaps... Nobody wants the old M series stuff any more. Its difficult to even give it away anymore.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    And then in the 2000s we all discovered JZ swaps... Nobody wants the old M series stuff any more. Its difficult to even give it away anymore.
    I was asking because I was thinking kind of the same thing, This stuff is pretty old now and I know ppl want to JZ swaps, so I thought maybe I could do one of these older upgrades for my first go as maybe I could pick up stuff for cheap since no real interest in it because ppl have moved to better things, Plus I can then be patient and get money together for a J swap I can maybe find for a good deal, That Reg guy seems like some kind of a legend in the community.

Random thoughts: JZ's are even getting weird now too. They're old. VVTI's are way more common. Non-vvti pricing is starting to creep up a little bit. And there's nothing next. The bloodline ends at JZ... where do we go? 3.5L's?
    Dean L.
    1985 Toyota Supra - Hidden Content
    2000 Lexus LS400
    2007 Lexus LX470

Quote Originally Posted by BILLY_GTS View Post
    I was asking because I was thinking kind of the same thing, This stuff is pretty old now and I know ppl want to JZ swaps, so I thought maybe I could do one of these older upgrades for my first go as maybe I could pick up stuff for cheap since no real interest in it because ppl have moved to better things, Plus I can then be patient and get money together for a J swap I can maybe find for a good deal, That Reg guy seems like some kind of a legend in the community.
    I doubt you'll find it cheaper in the end. The hard way almost always is. As they say cheap, fast, or reliable, pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    Can't say nobody. We have had a half dozen or so inquiries over the last decade from people interested in doing modifications that would be period correct, i.e. as when our Supras were first coming off warranty. Not everybody is shooting for ultimate horsepower. A lot of the mk2's allure today, compared to 20 or even only 10 years ago, is pure nostalgia. Its the same as swapping a 307 for a vintage big block out of an old truck when it would be much better performance-wise to buy a modern crate motor. No, when he was a teenager, he dreamed of a big block Chevelle (or Nova or Camaro or whatever) and as great as it would be, an LS3 just wasn't in the dream. He's not building it for the drag strip, rather he's building it so he can pretend he's young again, only with wealthy parents this time.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Thread Information