Need to sell my 85 Supra - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Boosting Mod SilverMk2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Santa Clara & Stockton, CA
    Posts
    8,074
    If its original paint and its really clean you might get 2500-3000 to someone interested in a clean chassis for an engine swap. It's kind of unfortunate on the stereo install hack though. To get best results you should really have leak down and compression results to show where the problem is. I highly doubt it's the rings. They rarely get that bad in Toyotas and especially the 5M. If you've never changed them the valve stem seals are probably shot. They last about 15 years on most Toyotas. Thankfully the 5M ones are easy to change. The other thing is the head gaskets, 5Ms aren't immune to blowing them

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyodaSup View Post
    It is very nice looking and appears to have been well cared for. GLWS

    If I was considering the purchase I would ask at minimum the following questions to help gauge the condition and value from long distance.

    Are you the original owner? If not how many previous owners and how long have you owned it?
    Has the car been owned in another state and if yes which one(s)?
    What service records are available?
    Is the paint all original? If not please explain.
    Has it been garaged all or part of it's life?
    Has there been any accidents or repairs to the body?
    Has there been any repairs to the electrical system?
    Has any major work been done to the engine such as valve job or main seals?
    If there is any rust please describe.

    In a hypothetical consideration to purchase if the above questions were answered in a straightforward manner than I would be ready either travel or hire a local vehicle inspector to complete my due diligence. Hence to get ahead of the game so to speak, as a seller I would offer the answers in advance as part of the marketing package to help buyers better determine it's condition on record. For me personally it would also reflect the owners attitude toward the care of the vehicle and the transaction.

    If you provide the details here I would provide my personal valuation range in a PM which would then of course be subject to change upon close inspection.

    David
    Thank you that is very useful information. To further clarify my original post:

    - I am not the original owner. I am at least the second owner. the vehicle has always resided in Washington state although as a service member it was licensed in Oregon while I was on active duty and changed back to Washington when I retired. Carfax is available.
    - I have the most recent service records; oil changes, tires, tune-up, battery, etc.
    - The paint is original.
    - It has been garaged since 2004 when I purchased it. Before then I would guess that it was not due to the fading of the black plastic trim pieces and there is sun damage on the upper portion of the back seats and interior side panels where it is cracked (see pictures below).
    - No accidents or repairs to the body, electrical system, or engine (except muffler exhaust).
    - There is some spots of rust on the liftback which I will post photos of in a future post.

    Thanks for looking, David
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMk2 View Post
    If its original paint and its really clean you might get 2500-3000 to someone interested in a clean chassis for an engine swap. It's kind of unfortunate on the stereo install hack though. To get best results you should really have leak down and compression results to show where the problem is. I highly doubt it's the rings. They rarely get that bad in Toyotas and especially the 5M. If you've never changed them the valve stem seals are probably shot. They last about 15 years on most Toyotas. Thankfully the 5M ones are easy to change. The other thing is the head gaskets, 5Ms aren't immune to blowing them
    Thank you for the advice. David
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #14
    CelicaSupra.com Member RedP85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Montréal, QC
    Posts
    6,982
    Region also has impact on price. In rust areas, a rust free body is worth more than in Cali, where all cars are rust free.
    This car seems pretty good: moldings and trims looks pretty good. Just that is worth a lot in my opinion, as it is soo hard to find good replacement. Some will say that they found a nicer one for 1K. They just got lucky. How is the driver seat leather? There is blemish in paint, but that is easy fix. Even if it is auto, I think it could be worth above 4K. But average the value with more people opinions!

  6. #15
    CelicaSupra.com Member supkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Santa Cruz, Ca. 95061
    Posts
    4,103
    I was thinking 2 or 3 grand like silver MK2. But if you pay to have the valve seals done, then you can get s LOT more.
    83-Red P-type , 6M,. LJM strut-bar, RC intake,Thorley header,Tenzo 17" wheels, cross-drilled rotors, Eibach springs, KYB shocks, 85 hatch and int., 82 header panel=Frankenkar

    87 4 Runner, White, 22RE, 302K on original motor, still strong

    "This car is so loud , I heard you before I saw you!" said the nice policeman. Hidden Content

  7. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post
    Region also has impact on price. In rust areas, a rust free body is worth more than in Cali, where all cars are rust free.
    This car seems pretty good: moldings and trims looks pretty good. Just that is worth a lot in my opinion, as it is soo hard to find good replacement. Some will say that they found a nicer one for 1K. They just got lucky. How is the driver seat leather? There is blemish in paint, but that is easy fix. Even if it is auto, I think it could be worth above 4K. But average the value with more people opinions!
    Thank your input. It is very much appreciated. David

    Attached are photos of exterior paint dents and scratched.

    DSC01830.jpgDSC01840.jpgDSC01828.jpgDSC01834.jpgDSC01824.jpg

  8. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by supkar View Post
    I was thinking 2 or 3 grand like silver MK2. But if you pay to have the valve seals done, then you can get s LOT more.
    You are correct; "I need to spend money to make money". My perfect scenario would be someone with the experience or a nice engine sitting around would buy it for the body. It really is a nice looking car overall, although it doesn't look like it when you take a digital camera and start taking high resolution pictures up close of every crack, scratch or dent. Thanks for sharing your advice, David

    Liftback rust spot pictures I promised in an earlier post;
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by RedP85 View Post
    Region also has impact on price. In rust areas, a rust free body is worth more than in Cali, where all cars are rust free.
    This car seems pretty good: moldings and trims looks pretty good. Just that is worth a lot in my opinion, as it is soo hard to find good replacement. Some will say that they found a nicer one for 1K. They just got lucky. How is the driver seat leather? There is blemish in paint, but that is easy fix. Even if it is auto, I think it could be worth above 4K. But average the value with more people opinions!
    To answer your other question; Driver's seat photos and passenger seat belt. Thanks, David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •