Need to sell my 85 Supra
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need to sell my 85 Supra

I need to sell my 1985 Supra. The engine has over 214,000 miles on the engine and it has started showing blue smoke in the exhaust. I have an idea of what it needs, but have neither the time, interest or knowledge to tackle it. I am a proud Supra owner/driver but am not mechanically inclined. It doesn't help that I am 6'5" and am getting too old to crawl in and out of my baby. Everything works except the factory theft deterrent system which I disconnected because it just made a clicking sound. Everything is stock except the sound system and the rain deflectors installed on the driver and passenger windows. I have no idea what a fair price is and I am looking for some feedback before I post it in the forum for "Cars for Sale". Thanks, David

I have more pictures, but I have to figure out why it is only allowing me 5 images per post.

DSC01812.jpgDSC01811.JPGDSC01810.JPGDSC01809.JPG60_12_s.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Zerodrag's Avatar
    Could just be the valve stem seals leaking. If it starts smoking after idling for a period of time then that is a pretty good sign. If it's always smoking then it could be piston rings I think.

Its really hard to give you a reasonable estimate of value based on very little description and a few pictures. Maybe somebody up there in the Washington area could come look at it in person and give you a better idea. We've seen prices range from a few hundred dollars for parts cars to the upper $20Ks for ultra-low mileage museum piece/trailer queens. I could guess based on the little info provided but it may have a lot of imperfections that could never be fixed that don't show up in those photos, or it could be otherwise pristine. You'd have to post a 1,000 close-ups and some sort of virtual test drive if there were such technology.

What you could do is post it on a auction site with a high reserve and a very low starting bid and see where it goes to. (Don't put a high starting bid or people think you're unrealistic and won't want to deal with you at all.) If you have multiple bidders fighting for it then you know whereever they stop is about all you can expect. Lower your reserve to meet the high bidder. If you don't have multiple bidders, then stand firm on that reserve, wait three months and try it again. Good luck. I hope it lands in a good home.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Thank you. I also believe it is the piston rings, but I am not interested in repairing it. David

Quote Originally Posted by Zerodrag View Post
    Could just be the valve stem seals leaking. If it starts smoking after idling for a period of time then that is a pretty good sign. If it's always smoking then it could be piston rings I think.
    Thank you. I also believe it is the piston rings, but I am not interested in repairing it. David

Update to "Need to sell my 85 Supra"

Added 5 more pictures while waiting to hear back on how I can upload more than 5 photos per post. David

DSC01817.jpgDSC01816.jpgDSC01815.jpgDSC01814.jpgDSC01813.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
    Its really hard to give you a reasonable estimate of value based on very little description and a few pictures. Maybe somebody up there in the Washington area could come look at it in person and give you a better idea. We've seen prices range from a few hundred dollars for parts cars to the upper $20Ks for ultra-low mileage museum piece/trailer queens. I could guess based on the little info provided but it may have a lot of imperfections that could never be fixed that don't show up in those photos, or it could be otherwise pristine. You'd have to post a 1,000 close-ups and some sort of virtual test drive if there were such technology.

What you could do is post it on a auction site with a high reserve and a very low starting bid and see where it goes to. (Don't put a high starting bid or people think you're unrealistic and won't want to deal with you at all.) If you have multiple bidders fighting for it then you know whereever they stop is about all you can expect. Lower your reserve to meet the high bidder. If you don't have multiple bidders, then stand firm on that reserve, wait three months and try it again. Good luck. I hope it lands in a good home.
    Thank you for the advice. I am still trying to upload the remainder of my pictures. I am just looking for some ball park figures and who knows maybe a site member will be interested enough to inquire more. I just don't want my first stop to be Bob's Used Cars as a trade-in. Thanks again, David

Quote Originally Posted by blashill View Post
    I just don't want my first stop to be Bob's Used Cars as a trade-in. Thanks again, David
    I understand completely. I've been trying to sell a 20 year old Jaguar XJ8. At this age, to the average buyer its just a fully-depreciated luxury sedan. Yes, its got 100K miles on it, but I'm obsessive-compulsive so its in much better than average condition. I know I could advertise it at $3,500 on craigslist (there's tons of them on craigslist for $2,500 to $3,500) and it'd be gone tomorrow, but I can't stand the thought that it might wind up disintegrating in the parking lot of a Section 8 apartment complex or worse.

I don't have much choice but to sell it for cheap because that's where the values are, however, I want to see it go to a good home where it will continue to live indoors, under a car cover, get regular maintenance (which is expensive for a Jaguar), and eventually become a "classic" in another 20 or 30 years. Instead, I posted it on the Jaguar forum. I've entered it in a few local car shows with a "for sale" sign on it. At the local Jaguar club monthly dinner meeting I got a standing offer from a collector, but it depends on him first selling two other cars out of his collection, so fingers crossed.... I hope you too find a "qualified" buyer for your Supra.
    Phil D.
    85 Silver 6m-gte, completed 2000

"I always observe the speed limit. I see those DAMNED signs everywhere."

Quote Originally Posted by pdupler View Post
    I understand completely. I've been trying to sell a 20 year old Jaguar XJ8. At this age, to the average buyer its just a fully-depreciated luxury sedan. Yes, its got 100K miles on it, but I'm obsessive-compulsive so its in much better than average condition. I know I could advertise it at $3,500 on craigslist (there's tons of them on craigslist for $2,500 to $3,500) and it'd be gone tomorrow, but I can't stand the thought that it might wind up disintegrating in the parking lot of a Section 8 apartment complex or worse.

I don't have much choice but to sell it for cheap because that's where the values are, however, I want to see it go to a good home where it will continue to live indoors, under a car cover, get regular maintenance (which is expensive for a Jaguar), and eventually become a "classic" in another 20 or 30 years. Instead, I posted it on the Jaguar forum. I've entered it in a few local car shows with a "for sale" sign on it. At the local Jaguar club monthly dinner meeting I got a standing offer from a collector, but it depends on him first selling two other cars out of his collection, so fingers crossed.... I hope you too find a "qualified" buyer for your Supra.
    Thanks, DavidDSC01822.jpgDSC01821.jpgDSC01820.jpgDSC01819.jpgDSC01818.jpg

CelicaSupra.com Member
    It is very nice looking and appears to have been well cared for. GLWS

If I was considering the purchase I would ask at minimum the following questions to help gauge the condition and value from long distance.

Are you the original owner? If not how many previous owners and how long have you owned it?
    Has the car been owned in another state and if yes which one(s)?
    What service records are available?
    Is the paint all original? If not please explain.
    Has it been garaged all or part of it's life?
    Has there been any accidents or repairs to the body?
    Has there been any repairs to the electrical system?
    Has any major work been done to the engine such as valve job or main seals?
    If there is any rust please describe.

In a hypothetical consideration to purchase if the above questions were answered in a straightforward manner than I would be ready either travel or hire a local vehicle inspector to complete my due diligence. Hence to get ahead of the game so to speak, as a seller I would offer the answers in advance as part of the marketing package to help buyers better determine it's condition on record. For me personally it would also reflect the owners attitude toward the care of the vehicle and the transaction.

If you provide the details here I would provide my personal valuation range in a PM which would then of course be subject to change upon close inspection.

David

Thread Information