I think its time to discuss elec. Turbo's?? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    TT...... All are good points.. And compleeeeetely agree with price part... But consider this...

When you blow 2,500 bucks on turbo motor.. It cant be installed in another vehicle..

But when you buy this new fangled "lighting snail" machine... I can put it on any car i own.. And my next car and the next.. Etc..

The 2 wire install and "re-installability" is a great selling point imo

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Also under my hood there is almost nothing from the 5m.. My my ecu and harness are from a 89 supra

And ive blown enough heads to know that ud be a fool to put stock head gasket on it. Im runnin the thinnest mls aftermarket gasket that is made with arp head studs.. And thats after gettin the mating surfaces on the block and head machined flat at Houston's best machine shop...

......the damn thing compresion tested 5psi apart across all cylinders averaging 205psi.. 😂😈

Id prolly get the thickest mls head gasket made and get that compression down a lil before addin a supercharger.. 💪🇺🇸👌

Also i kinda made this post just to try and get a conversation goin on is capacitor powered supercharger phenomenon... Maybe im wrong.. But i can only assume that in 5 years we MAY have way better versions of this electric supercharger thing..

The fact that wherever you can have one.. You can install 2... The fact that batteries are getting better every year...

Who knows in 5 years these things may make 12 psi..

Its coming.. I can feeels it yal..😎👌

I know one a yall 7m gurus could figure out how to make a 7m gte ecu work with an "electric snail"

Then i can keep my classic pacesetter from the 90s installed 😎

Also the intake divider thing to divert for idle and when not using turbo... Yeah that thing.....

Yeah i think if the electric turbo company was smart they would incorporate such a valve into there design to make it even coooooler.. 💪

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by That!Guy View Post
    Also under my hood there is almost nothing from the 5m.. My my ecu and harness are from a 89 supra

And ive blown enough heads to know that ud be a fool to put stock head gasket on it. Im runnin the thinnest mls aftermarket gasket that is made with arp head studs.. And thats after gettin the mating surfaces on the block and head machined flat at Houston's best machine shop...

......the damn thing compresion tested 5psi apart across all cylinders averaging 205psi.. ����

Id prolly get the thickest mls head gasket made and get that compression down a lil before addin a supercharger.. ��������
    Thats really good, I would go standalone and optimize your setup and see where you end up. You should be able to cross the 200lbs/ft mark with that engine, and if you add more lightness, it will be plenty quick. That paceshitter you're running, remake it from the Y pipe south and get rid of the horrible 2inch diameter section if you havn't yet (as well as any other points in your exhaust where it necks down less then 2.5 inches). I made good power with a PS header modified that way, though there are still better options. Its not the worst design in the world, the build quality and the down pipe on it are just really annoying.

As for the re-installablity bit, that kind of only applies to motors that you can easily retune. Not everyone drives a GM with an ECU thats been cracked wide open and can be retuned for free with software downloaded off the internet and a wireless OBD2 adapter.

Making the 7mgte ecu work... there's not really anything to it there. People have actually taken the gte electronics and run them on a stock 7mge before, and gotten perfectly acceptable A/F ratios. Those ecus, like any turbo ecu, are designed to deal with variance in boost in different conditions and adjust fuel as necessary. Thats why they have boost sensors. The stock ecu with stock 440cc injectors should be able to adjust for any kind of boost in the 5 to 9psi range without needing any real tuning. It might not be the most ideal ratio, but I would think it would handle the 5psi this thing puts out pretty happily without any other mods other then retrofitting your motor to run the gte electronics.

For sure about the future though. This is a great first serious effort, and I'm very much looking forward to see where it goes from here. I've been waiting for legit superchargers for decades myself, theoretically they are an awesome way to go. But don't discount traditional ones. These TorqAmp guys like to tout that theirs doesn't leach power off the engine like a belt drive would, or restrict exhaust flow before boost kicks in as a turbo does, but that claim isn't quite true. I dyno tested once with my 2500cfm electric fan off and then again with it off, and I lost a couple HP from the extra electrical drain from the alternator. So far, no one has invented truly free energy

I'm pretty sure the drop in PSI seen during their dyno run is from the engine spinning faster. The specs on this thing says it can run for at least 2 minutes when its fully charged (says 4 actually, but as low as 2 if it runs hot). It says its a 1:10 ratio for output time vs charge time, and it doesn't charge at all when engaged to minimize drain on the alternator. So although under WOT the alt drain doesn't eat HP, it does anytime the compressor isn't running. Anyways, that's not all that bad. It has enough juice for a quarter mile run and an autox run, but I wouldn't use it on a real race track. They need to get that ratio to 50:50 for it to be useful on a track car. Also, total system weight sounds like it adds about 25lbs, also not too bad. And as you noted you could run 2 of these to get double the flow and more boost, but that's like 5grand and 50lbs, not fantastic again.

Hey, as for the intake divertor valve thing I mentioned, guess they thought of that already...
    https://torqamp.com/bypass/
    Black 86 mk2 Project Car
    New SDR 86 mk2 Daily User, Highway Cruiser AND Parking Lot Abuser in the works!

Hi all - new here and new to the game. Just picked up a 2JGTE swapped Mkii.

No idea how it was done (bought not built) but its clean as, looks stock. But definately takes all the space (battery is relocated to the boot).
    (@isthata2j)

Would recommend going all the way if feasible $$ / you can get a low km 2j.

Thread Information