2JZ swap

Thread: 2JZ swap

2JZ swap

Hello fellow MKII owners! I've been out of the loop for someone but now I'm back. I have to catch up on all the interesting posts I've seen since I signed off, LOL. Anyway, I got my 1985 p-type back on the road again after getting it back pretty much trashed (that is another story you don't want to read about). I am still in the process of completing the interior. I found a mint fashioned that was practically a steal but it was Black & my interior was Blue. Long story short, I switched to black and I actually like the black interior. I still need to change carpets and upholstery and just leave the headliner as it was. Anyway, I'm curious if anyone with an 85 MKII who lives in California (like me) has actually done a swap to a 2JZ (NON TURBO) from the stock 5MGE. I want to know if anyone has actually done this in California without any snags with smog inspection & registration. I've heard stories that you can't legally do this swap to a newer engine unless the car came with it originally but I've also heard that it can be done but everything from the donor car goes into the mkII (ENGINE, down to the exhaust system and then it can be registered and be CARB legal as a newer model (i.e. a 1998 Supra if the donor car was a 1998). Any thoughts on this, anyone. I envy those from out of state who have done this swap without having tti worry about smog laws imposed on California car owners who want to upgrade their cars but are
    not at liberty to do so without running into a problem with the DMV & SMOG LAWS & I don't want to move out of state just for an engine swap, lol. I'd appreciate any info on this and if you've done it and are able to register it legally, I'd love to hear how you did it and what's it'll take to do the same on my MKII.
    Glad fo be back on the forum. Happy Holidays to all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

You can do it. You have to go to the ref who does a really high end smog check. You have to have all of the smog equipment for the newer motor functioning correctly and pass a smog che k for that car. They put a sticker that you then scan at other places in the future.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    After I read your question, I did some research on what the 2JZ was all about , the site I found proved very informational. Read the comments at the end also, the engineer person really hit the nail on the head as to why the 2JZ is one great piece of Toyota engineering. I love straight 6s and the old Fords 240 cu and 300cu i owned were hard to beat and the 2JZ was the cherry on the top of the heap!

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-the-t...eng-1794949464

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for sharing that link. I've been wanting to si this swap but hesitated due to the strict smog laws in California. The other problem now is trying to find a 2JZ that's affordable is going to be difficult as these engines are not being produced anymore. I wonder if there's anyone who has successfully done this swap for their 85 MKII Ptype and who has kept a detailed list of what was needed to do the swap. I'd appreciate it if they'd share their info. Thank you and again, happy holidays to all!

CelicaSupra.com Member mutantcolors's Avatar
    You need:
    A bellhousing from JZ to whatever tranny you use. JZ to W58 exists.
    Mounts.
    New fuel lines from the filter to the rail.

And a shitload of little nickle and dime parts that you'll never see coming.

That's honestly about it. The rest is icing on the cake, like the obvious maintenance items (timing belt, serp belt, injector seals, water pump, new clutch, etc etc), any custom hoses for power steering, probably an updated radiator...

Thread Information