Project Bling: Completed (restored wheels and other stuff) *56k WARNING - Page 7

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    ...just a note, DO NOT LEAVE THE OVEN CLEANER ON YOUR WHEELS.

Oven cleaner eats the shit out of aluminum, if left on, it will eat through the grit and grime and into the wheel itself. DONT DO IT.

..carry on.

--BillyM
    White 85P - Blue/Silver 85P
    -------------------------------
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Tire Shredder's Avatar
    i've tried this again and definatley confirmed it does not like aluminum. discolours it. I haven't found a good way to remove brake dust yet, I'mm modify the first post.

In the end, some wheel cleaner soaking and steel wool seemed to do it....but abrassion seems to be the only solution.
    Black 7M-GE 84 P-type Hardtop
    Hidden Content

nice work

hi great work. i did the exact same thing on a set of sr5 wheels actually on the truck in my pic. one piece of adice for everyone trying this. i own a small dual action sander (da) it has a 2 inch and 3 inch pad. this tool helps save your fingers. the kit i bought it in was a little under $100 and came with paper. up to 800 grit. i didnt read the whole thread so if this was already mentioned i appolgize. this tool worked great on the flat spoke areas. you still have the hand work around the lips of the wheels but its a time saver.
    doug

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

great tip. I didn't have an air compressor at the time.
    Hidden Content

i was wondering, where can i get those valve covers at?and also, wanna sand my rims too?

Quote Originally Posted by kouxiong View Post
    i was wondering, where can i get those valve covers at?and also, wanna sand my rims too?
    The valve covers are origonal which have been restored. directions for this can be found in the first post of the thread. I polished high sections first by sanding with a block, then buffed. when painting I coated the high parts with paint thinner, sprayed layer of paint and wiped off the polished sections with thinner before I went it dried.

www.RabidChimp.com sells powdercoated versions which will save you some time if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself.

I've got enough things to polish as it is

EDIT: it's been so long, I hadn't realized I had answered this already: http://forums.celicasupra.com/showpo...2&postcount=40
    Hidden Content

Those are some sweet lookin rims, I tried polishing mine, and it took forever, and they still didnt turn out that nice, good job...
    Hidden Content 80 Supra - waiting patiently
    84 P type - Under the knife (1j swap starting....sometime.....)
    07 Tacoma TRD - the new kid
    "Have you ever been so drunk, you tried to dial your ex girlfriends number on the microwave? ten digits is WAY too long far a burrito"

I've been getting some interest in this thread via PMs lately. I thought I'd give an update on the condition of the wheels.

After two years of daily use in the summer, the clearcoat is still 100% intact. it has not yellowed, chipped cracked or peeled...nothing bad has happened. The POR-15 Glisten PC is really great stuff. I love just having to clean them with soap insated of busting out the mothers. That being said they don't look like brand new anymore, I think just from surface scratches in the clear, I will try and clay bar and polish the clear like I do my paint, see what happens.

For those that are considering it, I recommend it.
    Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I am seriously thinking of done this to a certain point....I want to highly polish the lip....and painting the centers completly. So this is a task to get done before the meet.
    I'd consider it a personal favor if you did not show up at the meet. you can just disappear.

wow! now thats bling bling to the xtreem!! awsome job
    !

Thread Information