Project Bling: Completed (restored wheels and other stuff) *56k WARNING - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    CelicaSupra.com Member
    I know this is an old post. However, just have to find out, before I start Restoration, has anyone used Kleen Strip K3 yet to clean the clear coat off the wheels or any other alloy parts? I want to know so I don't f&^# up my OEM "P" Type Wheels. Not that I am lazy, I don't want to spend all that time scrubbing; but I also don't want to waste money, parts and materials only to f&^$ things up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member CarFreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I know this is an old post. However, just have to find out, before I start Restoration, has anyone used Kleen Strip K3 yet to clean the clear coat off the wheels or any other alloy parts? I want to know so I don't f&^# up my OEM "P" Type Wheels. Not that I am lazy, I don't want to spend all that time scrubbing; but I also don't want to waste money, parts and materials only to f&^$ things up.
    I used Mar-Hyde spray-Use the spray, It works better than brush on products.
    86 SDR-"Shuttlecraft" 16" Drag dr-27 wheels, T3Coilover front, Camber Mod/Cut Springs rear, Poly Bushings all around, Whiteline sway bars, 13" bbk front, and 12" bbk rear, 1gz-fe V12 swap. 84 blue two tone 1uz swap. Whitelines and dobinsons and advanced iron oxide mass reduction.

CelicaSupra.com Member supergregotti's Avatar
    Love the wheels!!! Once they were polished, and masked for the paint, and clear coat stage...Didn't they have to be cleaned, or buffed once again before the clear coat was applied to remove the adhesive left behind when the tape was removed?
    Freeway on-ramps rule!!!!!!!Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Black stock 86P
    Terra Cotta 83 6mge Daily Driver
    -GregO

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member Rockheadjc's Avatar
    Great job on the rims. I got a spare set on my 84 Celica GT sitting in the back of the house in ATROCIOUS shape. They don't even look like they're made of aluminum. I'm gonna pull 'em and start the task. But I'm going to try something slightly different, in hopes of minimizing the amount of sanding. In addition to chemically stripping the clearcoat, I'm going to try wire wheeling with different grades of softness/hardness prior to sanding and will eventually post it (that is, when I actually get to it).

Anyhoo, how do they look now? How's the clearcoat standing up to the elements?
    -Rocky W
    Hidden Content
    87 Cressy DD
    Hidden Content

i used a medium 5" <grey> scotch-brite buff wheel on a barrel grinder to remove the clearcoat, de-burred all scratched and dings, masked the machined faces, glass bead blasted all over, mounted in a 5' lathe and 4jaw chuck <masked the jaw faces> cleaned the machined faces and marks off with a course 5" scotchbrite buff wheel, moved on to a 1" width x 5" 400g flapper wheel with radiused edges, cut that out with a 800g flapper wheel, followed by a light skim with a 1000g, then moved on to course ppg polishing soap <black> followed by green soap, then on to white soap, then a final bling with opaque alloy soap, sprayed excess soap off with wax n' grease remover then water and left to air dry...voila' ...sexy supra rims clad with 245 eagers...8 hours per wheel, but i havent detailed the black lines yet

Pics? This is only the second mention of using tools (that I saw) instead of labour to clean up the wheels and and 1/4 of the time, it would be interesting to see the results. Mine are haggered but I want to save them

Also, does anyone have a good picture of the stock wheels to see the comparison?

dope whip

Thread Information