Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member Supra_GT_R's Avatar
    well was an idea, atleast thed last
    87 turbo targa bone ass stock

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Ken
    I had one pop recently and figured this would be good info to come up on a SEARCH.

Invoice description is HOSE, WATER, often called Coolant Bypass Hose.
    It runs from under the thermostat housing to under the intake manifold, right along the engine. There is a clip for it back about 6 inches behind the thermostat housing and really pain in the ass clamps on each end. You have to unscrew them loose, then they become a 'spring loaded' clamp you have to move over each nipple...

When my stock 23 year old hose blew, toyota red dripped on the floor directly under the 'EFI' if you were looking straignt down on the intake manifold.

List is $25.92.

Ken
    I just recently replaced this same hose -- for the first time -- on my '85 P-type. I had been running the factory hose for 20 years and it was still going strong, but better obviously to change it out. It does speak well for the quality of the original hoses though. The car had around 380,000 miles on it by then, so I can't imagine how many gallons of Georgia-heated coolant had run through that hose over the years. A bunch, no doubt. No fun to get to it for the replacement work though. Same can be said for those smaller throttle body hoses. Almost as much fun as replacing the starter!
    Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
    Augusta, GA

-- '85 P-Type, Two-Tone, 5Sp Manual, Stock, Daily Driver 23yrs --
    ...--...--...--443,000+ blissful miles and counting!...--...--...
    --...--...--...--(undergoing first motor rebuild) --...--...--...--

Mine blew at my office in December of '04 and I thought it was the engine block or the engine temp sensor. I so what looked like sludge coming out, so I was panicking. After searching the forum here for a while someone said "bet it's the suicide hose..." and yup that it was. I could hundred dollar fix was instantly reduced to a couple bucks for the hose and clamps, and just a very uncomfortable position for repairs.
    The car sat for 2 week, and I fixed it on a weekend. Brought it home, happily drove it into work Monday and was fired because they wanted to out source my job after nearly 10 years.
    Christmas sucked that year.
    Sho

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member denvermk2's Avatar
    This part # will work at auto part store or do I have to go to toyota dealership?
    Hidden Content
    Robin
    1985 Silver Supra P |2002 Audi A6 Avant | 2008 Subaru Outback XT
    Hidden Content

Depends on how good the store is. Check rockauto.com for it. They have it iirc, might not by the toyota PN though.
    Supra Rehabilitator.
    Black 86 with 7M-GTE/W58/3.58/TrueTrac, 300whp, [email protected] Now on MS3X.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Tire Shredder Hidden Content
    "surprise! this one runs 11s biatch"

Mine popped on the way to work suddenly saw white smoke coming out the engine bay and the temp gauge on H. I'm like OH SH!%!! Replaced it with a high pressure fuel line. that shouldn't pop anytime soon. Just need to do the same to any other coolant lines.

CelicaSupra.com Member myothersupra's Avatar
    My first MkII, a 2-Tone Silver/Grey '82 L-Type Sunroof 5-Speed with burgundy interior (eek!), blew that hose on the interstate at about 120k on the car in the spring of 1993 and the engine began stumbling before I saw the pegged temp gauge. After it got towed home I tried adding water to the radiator and noticed a large puddle forming beneath the engine under the car, discovered that hose, felt the tear, bought a new one, and was back on the road again later that day but it had gotten so hot before I realized there was a problem that it unknowingly cracked the head at the #4 or #5 spark plug hole (I forget which) which resulted in a steady miss on cold start that went away as the engine warmed up so I had no idea what was wrong. Several months later as my only car the miss stopped going away and I noticed that coolant started slowly disappearing from the overflow bottle day after day with no puddles or obvious wet hose fittings.
    After a couple more weeks of uncertainty, on my way to work one morning it hadn't warmed up yet and it began stumbling badly in traffic which it had never done before so I stopped to have a look under the hood. The previous owner had installed one of those radiator caps with the pressure release lever on it so I pulled the lever before taking the cap off and the spark plug wire/boot shot up off the plug and hit the underside of the hood as steam sprayed out of the spark plug hole with the spark plug still installed. At the time I had no idea how to replace a cylinder head, the car booked for like $1,500 and everyone wanted $3k to fix it.
    As a clueless young driver all those years ago that suicide hose definitely put a hurting on my first MkII which got traded off as-is for a motorcycle and was also replaced soon after with a 1-owner 1980 MkI with a leaky exhaust manifold gasket at 100k miles which I fixed myself.

CelicaSupra.com Member Michael764's Avatar

Never Forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by CarFreek View Post
    Yeah, the other one under intake is called a moth%$#*&er hose, If I remember the correct technical terminology

Quote Originally Posted by Supra_GT_R View Post
    how hard would it be to get steel braided hoses to go in these tight spots? the only thing worse that changing that hose is the top starter bolt, as they put a nut on the other end of the damn thing. my fix> do the bottom one up real tight and throw the top one away,

Quote Originally Posted by CJSREDPRA View Post
    For the suicide hose, how do you propose to secure it??? The rubber suicide hose is held in by some inexpensive clamps from the factory (unless you've changed your hose & upgraded the clamps), they DO NOT screw into the 2 ends. So now the hose is taken care of, but the 2 ends are now weaknesses (when was the last time you saw braided hoses held on the ends by clamps??).
    Quote Originally Posted by Supra_GT_R View Post
    how hard would it be to get steel braided hoses to go in these tight spots?
    ^
    I deleted this hose altogether before installing engine.
    With a piece of 'donor' water passage.
    Basically a pipe about yay long and ground on a wheel at about yadda angle.
    Then I used the thermostat housing fitting to turn & lock the brass pipe into place.
    No more option to break

Never Forget
    R.I.P. Hidden Content
    D.S.F
    7.14.1993 - 2.14.2012
    82 terra-cotta

Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member DRIFTINGmy85's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael764 View Post

^
    I deleted this hose altogether before installing engine.
    With a piece of 'donor' water passage.
    Basically a pipe about yay long and ground on a wheel at about yadda angle.
    Then I used the thermostat housing fitting to turn & lock the brass pipe into place.
    No more option to break

Never Forget
    Can you provide more information? Pics and better hose/pipe description? I would like to delete this also.

CelicaSupra.com Member
    MKIII solution:

Ken.
    1985 Toyota P-Type Celica Supra 5MT
    1993.5 Toyota Supra Turbo; 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo; 1995 Toyota Supra Turbo
    1991 Toyota Supra Turbo; 2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
    2010 Lexus IS-F
    2016 Lexus IS 350 F Sport

Thread Information