An illustrated guide to changing and testing your starter - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    Me and Slip just had to do this on an auto recently. That was a PITA, but we figured out a decent way to do it. Get a buddy, one on top, one below. With a bungie cord, pull all the wires and lines at the back of the motor on top out of the way, do everything you can to open it up back there. Including removing the rear cross member and use a jack to lift the tailshaft of the tranny as high as it will go (you will start jacking the car with it if you go too high, thats bad). Get yourself a set of rachet wrenchs! The ones with swivel heads are the handest, no mechanic should be without these. The guy on the bottom should hold a wrench or socket on the back of the bolts, the guy on top should go at them with wrenchs and rachet wrenchs. I had to use to two wrenchs locked together to get enough leverage to crack the nuts, after that the rachet wrench will do the trick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

thanks for the write-up. i need to go do this on my auto now :cry: good god what have i gotten myself into...
    Brian
    Hidden Content
    Currently Supra-less.

i have come to the conclusion that the starter on this vehicle was design by the devil, himself.

got the first bolt off with little trouble (a breaker bar fixed that), got the power cables off and went to town on the top bolt/2nd bolt. that thing is impossible, i swear it. i got the bolts on but i can't get any wreches or extensions or anything on there. there's damn near no room next to the firewall and on the top side there's too many cables. what in the hell?!!!

anybody wanna move to california and help me? :x
    Brian
    Hidden Content
    Currently Supra-less.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I would help you man, if I was over there. I just went through the pain of this myself, lol
    the top bolt is the biggest PITA I swear... I had to lay on top of the engine and weave my arms in between the intake and brake master cylinder. Make sure you have plenty of light, on top and/or underneath. Trust me, if my weak little self can do it, so can you, it just requires hand and arm acrobatics, lol
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    -shirts, stickers, posters & more!-
    Hidden Content
    -more shirt styles, magnets, wallets, mugs and more!-

1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    10 years strong 4-20-08
    1984 L-type Auto - Bone stock & broken Hidden Content
    acquired 6/17

yeah, i think i figured it out...i need to go buy some of those fancy wrenches that work like sockets. think that'll fix me right up. i swear there's not enough room for the bolt but i can fix a wrench in there.
    Brian
    Hidden Content
    Currently Supra-less.

I used normal wrenches fine. I have the wratcheting wrenches but I didn't even use them. I do agree getting a stubby wrench may be better
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    10 years strong 4-20-08
    acquired 6/17

CelicaSupra.com Member supra_toy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by majjam1954
    Quote Originally Posted by quick
    I've been saying this as well for about 2 years, MJ. Glad to hear others are on the same page.
    thanks quick! there are lots of easy repairs we can do to save $$. i have also successfully rebuilt blower motors and alternators :!:
    How dificult is it to rebuild the blower motor? where would I get the parts?

will

Quote Originally Posted by Tanyas Mk2
    I used normal wrenches fine. I have the wratcheting wrenches but I didn't even use them. I do agree getting a stubby wrench may be better
    yeah...i tried the regular wrenches...too many damn cables and crap in the way. my arm is all scratched up from trying.
    Brian
    Hidden Content
    Currently Supra-less.

After much blood, sweat and tears my stupid starter is finally in again! wooohoooo. Next time, i'm paying a shop to do it. I managed to escape with only a nasty cut under my eye (dropped a rachet ). It goes in MUCH easier than it comes out though and it's a shame i have to hide my shiny new starter in the engine bay.
    Brian
    Hidden Content
    Currently Supra-less.

chalk it up as a learning experience! I'd much rather bust my own knuckles than have a shop rape me for prices
    :wink:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    10 years strong 4-20-08
    acquired 6/17