Cam Tower Gasket Replacement - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    lol thanks for fixing the links. I had completely forgotten about this thread. Derp.

Yeah you can buy the "Tennessee gasket" from Toyota separate, but you cannot from places like AdvanceAuto and AutoZone I believe. An actual "timing set" from these places should cost at least $25-40, if not they are very incompleted. Might want to just go with Toyota and be done with it.

I have done it both ways. I have replaced the cam tower gaskets on different cars, a few times and I have either bought that gasket from Toyota or made it myself. When I do make it myself, I tend to use two gaskets, as I had an issue with my first Supra that it kept leaking and destroying my alternators which got VERY expensive. So I am forever cautious now.

In all honesty, I am not completely satisfied with this thread anymore. Considering I followed my own advice, and did everything right when I built my 6MGE, and it started leaking after 3k miles. I know the 5M/6M head is a pain in the ass like that, but I do want to find a way to "cure" it. Getting some better bolts or something. Hopefully I can update this thread with that kind of stuff relatively soon.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    -shirts, stickers, posters & more!-
    Hidden Content
    -more shirt styles, magnets, wallets, mugs and more!-

1985 P-type 5 speed
    6MGE
    10 years strong 4-20-08
    1984 L-type Auto - Bone stock & broken Hidden Content
    acquired 6/17

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I know everyone automatically says buy OEM, but I'm fine buying the Felpro gasket. Just because it's not OEM doesn't mean it won't work. Many people I know, myself included, have used Felpro gaskets and they've worked just fine. Hell, I've even had one of those cheap remanufactured alternators from Autozone(the ones rumored to have an extremely short life) for almost 3 years with no issues. Anyways, I appreciate everyones input, especially Tanya(thanks for the quick reply). I have bought the Felpro gasket from Autozone and I'd previously bought the valve cover gasket(with grommets) and cam tower gaskets. While it hasn't explicitly been said, I assume I have everything I need with that, since no one's suggested I need anything else. Next weekend, thanks to this thread, I'll finally be changing the cam tower gaskets! (oh and Tanya's 6m has inspired me so I'll be painting the cam tower, valve cover and intake manifold as well and will post pics in another thread! )

make sure to get some cam o rings, i dont think they exist aftermarket, i went to toyota for mine, i did this jobs about 2 months ago. my cam carrier gaskets leaked like a mofo( especially the intake side).and dont overlook the cam carrier bolt removal process like me, or get rocker arms mixed up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I just replaced my exhaust cam tower gasket with a metal felpro last weekend. No sealant. Started leaking within a day. It has actually gotten much worse today and produCing a lot of smoke that at times would come into the cabin. Totally not cool. I've had the cam tower off twice now since the rebuild and they are super smooth and no nicks. I measured them for warpage during the rebuild and checked out ok. So I'm gonna try again this time using rtv.
    Demoted to rank of Driveway Grass Killer First Class:
    1985 Toyota Celica/Supra 5M-GE 5spd 270,000 miles and ticking( no really the engine is ticking)

CelicaSupra.com Member
    how important is it to keep the lash adjusters with their respective cylinders cause my mechanic said it didnt matter?

Quote Originally Posted by DREAMcar85supra View Post
    how important is it to keep the lash adjusters with their respective cylinders cause my mechanic said it didnt matter?
    It matters...wear patterns for one. Do your best to keep them together.

Thread Information