Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Another Cressida brake writeup

14K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Road Ripper 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Another great write up Wes. I've done stud upgrades before myself and used land cruiser studs, whats the application you used as the landcruiser ones require the splines to be shaved down a bit. I'm not sure if I can get the brand you used up here so an application would be better then a part number. Also, after changing studs a few times with the method you descibed, I discovered a much better way to do it on the front. The problem with the method you described is it makes a mess of the hub and the nut and it can be easy to mismatch the splines and mess up the stud and hube as you suck it in. Its also hard on the arm lol. Anyways, simply just use a vice and a deep socket to press them in, it works great. You put the socket over the threaded end of the stud after you've passed it through the hole in the hub and chuck it in the vice and crank em on. Super easy and smooth, I highly recomend it over the other method. You'd have to pull the rear stubs to do it on the rear though.

#7 ·
This may have been answered in another thread, but does the backing plate have to be modified or bent to avoid rubbing on the rotor? Or do you use the backing plate off the Cressida, because it wasn't mentioned in the writeup. Thanks

#8 ·
Nothing needs to be done with the backing plate and you leave the supra on on there. If you go look at your front brakes you will see that there is a pretty big gap, the cressida rotors will fill it in.

Also I just realized that that part number is a fake placeholder that I forgot to fix. The real part number is 98521. Doorman part numbers are the most common and any parts store that does not sell them should be able to cross reference them, Pep Boys, Advance Auto/Checkers/Shucks/Kragen, Carquest, Autozone, and probably others all carry hardware using the doorman numbers. I am not sure of the application for those lug nuts, I just searched through the boxes at the parts store till we found one that fit.

#9 ·
sweet!

Thanks Wes

will

#11 ·
turbogoo1 said:
Now this going to be a dumb question....so I will say it. The threads on the studs fit on the stock nuts?

Or did I miss something?
The threads are the same as the stock nuts but the stock wheels will not fit over these brakes. Most aftermarket wheels use a different style nut than the stock wheels do and require slightly longer studs to be safe.

#15 ·
SupraFiend said:
hey has anyone every measured the rear rotors on these years of cressis to see if they bumped up the rear sizes too? Those would also be a straight bolt on if they were bigger.
There is some discussion about rear brakes here, look at Peewee's post.
http://www.celicasupra.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=15097&page=2&pp=40

Nice job on the writeup Wes, its great to see others benefit from the research I did. Your knowledge of brakes/writeups makes for a much better presentation.

-John

#16 ·
_HOT_M16 said:
You've got a couple of 'crosses on these new brakes, yea? How's the balance? ...I've always wanted a little more front-bias on the brakes for some of the mid-speed entrances, hahah, lots of scary moments keeping the back end under control coming in hot...

--BillyM
Yes there is noticeably more front bias, its nice when the rear end unloads from heavy braking into a corner.

#18 ·
Reviving an old thread here...

I just did the rear brakes on my 87 Cressida and noticed a couple of things.
The rear rotors aren't much bigger, as noted by others. However, the rear caliper is bigger and has a bigger diameter piston. Also, the rear brake pads are significantly bigger. So, there may be some benefit to putting these on the rear of the Supra. Due to the bigger piston, the brake proportioning valve may need to be taken from the Cressida as well. Any thoughts on this?

I should have taken some pics. If I take it apart again, I'll get measurements and pics.

#23 ·
i just tired some thign on my car that work or very well

i swaped out the pp vavle from a cesta unit make brakes feel like gold

more control wheil stop littel more rear breaking as well i like this up grade and sujest it to any one

#24 ·
It was mentioned before that this upgrade won't allow the stock 14" wheels to fit. I just wanted to update this thread and say that the stock wheels WILL fit, if you do some slight grinding to the calipers to give them clearance. I heard it's not a lot of material that has to be removed, so it doesn't affect safety. I've GOTTA try this someday!

#25 ·
How much of a slight grinding do you have to shave off of the calipers to be able to make the 14x7 fit?? I know it scrapes the calipers a tiny bit. I want to run these on my MX73 because I got a few w/ good tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.