Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

whats the biggest size engine i can put in my 85 celicasupra

31K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  MightyAl 
#1 ·
right now i have an inline 6. someone told me i can fit a 92 supra motor is this true

#2 ·
Biggest thing you can do right this very time.....read! This has been covered so many times.

And yes, 92 will fit. So will a 82,83,84,86,87,88,89,90,91,93,94,95,96,97,98.

Please use the search funtion. Type in 7m. Get results fast.

#12 ·
With enough money and technical knowledge, anything that will fit in the engine bay :) You are new, and this is an old topic ever since Reg Reimer did the first one in the early 90s, so I'll make a quick summary that is old news to most here, and I am not saying it is easy. The MK II came with a 2.8L NA 5MGE engine.
The only relatively easy swap is the Toyota 6MGE (3.0L) engine at a bit over a grand for the engine (see http://www.rabidchimp.com for details).

Next is putting in the MK III Supra (86.5-92) engine in the MK II, either the 7MGE or 7MGTE (turbo) (3.0L). If you are going this route, you might as well go for the turbo since the cost is little more considering how much you are spending. There is lots of info in the engine swap forum, but there have also been lots of partially completed projects sold becuase it was beyond the ability of the person trying to do the swap (ditto folks trying to put the 7MGTE into Toyota trucks - cheap source of parts for those that know). You need to be able to read the engine wiring schematics, and know how to rewire plugs to the ECU (engine computer) for one. I could probably figure it out having an engineering degree and experience, but if I were doing this I'd probably haul the car to one of the folks that has done this and pay the grand for the rewiring. You don't have your location in your profile so I don't know if that is viable for you (WA State, PA, and MD (yes, Hirsh :p ) are the 3 folks I know with experience in this).

Next, the even more exotic Toyota engines, 1JZ and 2JZ. Based on the lack of details in the single line you posted, you probably don't have anywhere enough knowledge/experience to do this (I don't either), though I have no idea if you have enough money to pay someone else to attempt it.

There are also possibilities in the Lexus engines. But VERY pricey.

And finally, non-Toyota engines. It can be done so long as it fits into the engine bay, and you can get all the accessories to work. Probably a 6-month plus project unless you are a professional swapper. For one, the clutch or transmission probably won't mate up without a specially fab'ed adaptor plate.

Hopefully, this isn't a troll first post. If it is, you should put in a Toyota 22R engine, which is Toyota's most dependable engine, though not its largest. Other than maybe the engine mounts, it would be easy. (if I saw a 22R in a Supra, I would first laugh, then look at it, it is a great engine)

In any case, welcome, and look in the engine swaps section, where there are 3 forums on this general topic. [corrections welcome, I've only done a 5MGE to 5MGE swap, but have been around]

#15 ·
Rich64N said:
With enough money and technical knowledge, anything that will fit in the engine bay :) You are new, and this is an old topic ever since Reg Reimer did the first one in the early 90s, so I'll make a quick summary that is old news to most here, and I am not saying it is easy. The MK II came with a 2.8L NA 5MGE engine.
The only relatively easy swap is the Toyota 6MGE (3.0L) engine at a bit over a grand for the engine (see http://www.rabidchimp.com for details).

Next is putting in the MK III Supra (86.5-92) engine in the MK II, either the 7MGE or 7MGTE (turbo) (3.0L). If you are going this route, you might as well go for the turbo since the cost is little more considering how much you are spending. There is lots of info in the engine swap forum, but there have also been lots of partially completed projects sold becuase it was beyond the ability of the person trying to do the swap (ditto folks trying to put the 7MGTE into Toyota trucks - cheap source of parts for those that know). You need to be able to read the engine wiring schematics, and know how to rewire plugs to the ECU (engine computer) for one. I could probably figure it out having an engineering degree and experience, but if I were doing this I'd probably haul the car to one of the folks that has done this and pay the grand for the rewiring. You don't have your location in your profile so I don't know if that is viable for you (WA State, PA, and MD (yes, Hirsh :p ) are the 3 folks I know with experience in this).

Next, the even more exotic Toyota engines, 1JZ and 2JZ. Based on the lack of details in the single line you posted, you probably don't have anywhere enough knowledge/experience to do this (I don't either), though I have no idea if you have enough money to pay someone else to attempt it.

There are also possibilities in the Lexus engines. But VERY pricey.

And finally, non-Toyota engines. It can be done so long as it fits into the engine bay, and you can get all the accessories to work. Probably a 6-month plus project unless you are a professional swapper. For one, the clutch or transmission probably won't mate up without a specially fab'ed adaptor plate.

Hopefully, this isn't a troll first post. If it is, you should put in a Toyota 22R engine, which is Toyota's most dependable engine, though not its largest. Other than maybe the engine mounts, it would be easy. (if I saw a 22R in a Supra, I would first laugh, then look at it, it is a great engine)

In any case, welcome, and look in the engine swaps section, where there are 3 forums on this general topic. [corrections welcome, I've only done a 5MGE to 5MGE swap, but have been around]
That is a great post and probably should be stickied for all the noobs to read when they first get in here. Now I am just waiting for the first guy to drop a 22r in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.