Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

xJZ Swap FAQ

112K views 144 replies 47 participants last post by  Gross_beef 
#1 · (Edited)
With the ever increasing popularity of the JZ swap, I'm starting the FAQ to consolidate most of the info. If you have something to add feel free to post. Below are some of the categories to fill in to help potential swappers make a more informed decision of the correct motor for them.

=====>The MKII needs a front oil sump<=====

Chassis Codes:

Chassis code key: chassis code / sump orientation(front or mid) / TT, T, NA / Fan type / stock rated horsepower if known / notes
example: JZX90 / front / TT / hydro|mech / 300 / JDM|USDM|etc / Years (any relevant notes)

1JZ:
JZA70 / mid / TT / hydro / 280 /JDM MK3 / ?
JZX81-B Chaser / front / TT / hydro / 280? / JDM / ?
[Need chassis code] Soarer / mid / TT / hydro / --- / JDM / ?
JZX81-A Mark II / front / TT? / hydro / --- / JDM / ?
JZX81-C Cresta / front / TT? / hydro / --- / JDM / ?
JZZ30 - Soarer / mid / TT / Mech / --- / JDM / 1991-1996
JZZ30 - Soarer / mid / T / Mech / --- / JDM / Aug 1996 on

2JZ:
JZA80 / mid / TT / mech / 320 / USDM Mk4 / 1993-1998
JZS1?? / front / TT / hydro? / 276 / JDM Aristo / 1991 - 1997 (R6 3 liter)
JZS1?? / front / NA / hydro? / 226 / JDM Aristo / 1991 - 1997 (3.0Q)
JZS147 / front / NA / mech? / --- / USDM Lexus GS300 / 1993+
JZS160 / front / NA / hydro? / --- / JDM Aristo / 1995 - 2005 (vvt-i?)
JZS161 / front / TT / hydro? / --- / JDM Aristo / 1995 - 2005 (+VVT-i
JZA80 / mid / TT / mech / 280? / JDM / ~1986 - ~1993
JZZ31 / mid / NA / hydro? / 225 / JDM / JDM Soarer / ?
JZZ31 / mid / NA / Mech? / 225 / USDM Lexus SC300 / ?
JZZ31 / mid/ NA / Mech? / 225 / USDM Lexus SC300 / 1998+ (+vvt-i)

Wiring Diagrams:

1JZ:
JZZ30 ECU pinout

2JZ:

Transmission, 1j or 2j:

1: Original W58: (not really recommended)
NA USDM MK4 5 speed bellhousing
2JZGE flywheel
Stock or upgraded MKII clutch​

2: R154: 5 speed
JZA70 bellhousing
1JZGTE flywheel
7M stock or upgraded MKIII clutch
Automatic MKII trans mount​

3: Automatic:
Torque converter for JZ block. (1JZ or 2JZ)
JZ Bell housing (1JZ or 2JZ) See below​
USDM Vehicles:
A340E
1993-1995 Lexus GS300 3.0L I6
1992-1998 Lexus SC300 3.0L I6
1992-1998 MkIV NA Supra

A341E:
1993-1998 Toyota Supra turbo

A350E (5 speed AUTO):
1995+ GS300​

Radiator:

1: Stock (possibly not sufficient)
2: MK3 radiator, with jza70 radiator hoses, mechanical or E-fan
3: JZA70 radiator, with jza70 radiator hoses, hydro fan

Water pump (1j or 2j):

To convert from hydro fan pump to standard pump:
Supra MKIV TT water pump.
Water pump housing (rear),
Any 2JZ/1JZ water pump pulley from a manual pump​
AFAIK, All USDM 2JZ motors are NON-hydro

Oil Pan:

To convert mid sump to front sump. You need: (Stock Twins)
*** IT is up to YOU to double check part numbers listed. Numbers listed are for 93-94 Lexus GS300
Upper oil pan #12111-46102
Lower oil pan #?????-?????
Pickup # ?????-?????
Gaskets #?????-?????
Baffle plate #12121-46010
Front sump dipstick #15301-46022
Dipstick guide #11452-46010
Bolts for lower pan, pickup, and baffel (all the same) 90119-06624
Front sump oil drain fitting #?????-?????
2 rubber drain lines from turbo #?????-????? and #?????-?????

Modifying to big single (et al)
Beyond the scope of this FAQ​

Fuel filter:

JZA70 1JZ for example, does not have a fuel filter at the engine. You have to adapt the 5M style fuel filter setup to the JZA70 fuel line system. Not very difficult.

Fuel pump:
Supra TT or MK3t
Walbro 255
Bosch 044 ? external?​

note: Consider dual pumps if running much over stock boost on the JZ engine.​

Engine mounts:

1: Custom brackets, use original mounts

2: Custom crossmember, to use original JZ mounts (norbie style)

Wiring/ECU:
(automatic ecu/harness will work fine)

1: Supra JZA70 harness (extend harness, and follow 7M style conversion diagrams)
2: Soarer 1JZ harness (extend harness, use wire diagrams to find appropriate power sources)
3: Aristo 2JZ harness (study US 2jz diagrams, good luck)

Power Steering:
1:RA65 Celica power steering lines (slight encouragement needed)
2:Driftmotion power steering line kit for the mk3 to 1jz pump is a direct fit
3:If having custom lines made, make sure to take the xJZ power steering pump end and your MKII Steering rack end.

Power steering cooler lines are on the low pressure side. (rack -> cooler ->reservoir)
A/C:

Use JZ compressor, convert to MA70 A/C head unit ( the top piece ). This will allow you to use stock MK2 A/C Button. Custom lines, similar to 7M/MK2 swap after that.

If deleting the AC:
Use Dayco serpentine belt # 5060735​

Alternators (Generally 100 amp)
Direct fit: (MKII Alt connector is on the body/fender harness not the engine harness)
1992 SC300 5-speed alternators (Autozone - Duralast alt. P/N 14459)
The JZS147 Aristo

Note: Upgrade your Alt wires to 4 guage.

TACH:

Make your own
Similar to 7MGTE Swap
Use any 2JZGTE/1JZGTE Igniter (if not supplied with engine)

OEM Gasket Sets
1JZGTE full engine gasket kit - # 04111-46033

Reference Websites:
1JZ.com
Arnout's 1JZ Swap Page (MKIII but good info for JZA70)
Soarer Parts List
Soarer Central
Aristo Forums(JZS147)
http://www.jzx81.net/models.html <--- Dead Link
http://www.jzx81.net<--- Dead Link

If you have other categories to add post them and I'll add to this post. Anything that has a "???" in it either needs confirmation or the information. If you have this info, please post.

A big thanks to everyone who has posted. This 1st post is a condensed 'soup' version of the comments and knowledge posted by many of our great members, some subjects are explored in greater detail in pages to follow.

Updated to page [12]

See less See more
#132 ·
Well I couldn't find my answer here at all. I did a search too with no results. Maybe its because I was told about this outside the forum. So my understanding from "THIS" thread is that a MK2 Auto Trans mount is what I will need to mount the 5 speed swap? OK Heres where I was looking for the info. From what I herd is that the MK3 Auto trans will work as well. But what I dont know is if the MK3 can be either or NA or T. MK2s at the yard are getting harder to find and Auto out all things is also hard to find.

#133 ·
if using an r154, then you need the auto mk2 trans crossmember just like any other r154 swap into the mk2. if your using an auto trans, same crossmember is needed. as for the actual auto trans mount, mk3 n/a and t both use an a340 series trans so the mount is the same for each of them. in fact, a mk4 auto mount might even work. have to check the bolt pattern to where it bolts to the crossmember. if it does bolt up, then you could use the trd urethane auto trans mount for the mk4

#135 ·
no, the mk3 crossmember will not work on a mk2. it is a different width alltogether. crossmember needed for a r154 is a auto mk2 crossmember. same needed for auto trans. if using a w58, a stock mk2 5 speed crossmember will be needed. btw, in case you forgot, car-part.com look there and youll find one prolly for dirt cheap too.

#137 ·
What's the deal with the ebay 2jz motors being so cheap? When I go and search through I can look them up for just over 2grand. That comes with wiring trans oil pump the works. I smell a scam but they say they have a 30 day warranty? I'm thinking about doing it to build a kick ass project.

#139 ·
Scour the junkyards for Lexus vehicles and pick up a 2jz-ge from a gs300 or an sc300, same motor as a TT minus oil squirters and compression, then just go NA-T later. I picked mine up for 330$ after tax, full turn key swap, ignititor, all accessories, uncut harness, ecu, AFM, starter etc...just going to re-use my w58 from my mkii. Should be about 1500$ overall after it's all said and done, no AC (that's including some maintenance I have to do, clutch, carrier bearing...etc)

If not, the best way to find a good TT motor is to go straight to an importer and pick one out, that way you can visually inspect it first hand....see what is missing, cut plugs and all that good stuff.

#138 ·
I bought mine from an ebay seller. The warranty is pretty much useless since you're unlikely to have it in the car in 30 days. Just make sure to put it on a credit card so you can dispute the charges easier. The motor you get is pretty much random luck no matter where you buy it.

#140 ·
Hey guys got a 2jz question. It is going on three years and my mechanic still having problems with this conversion. Here is the deal; the engine is in the car and starts. No problem running in idle. Only problem I am having is the throttle. The care does not want to rev up. I have an automatic transmission with traction control. I (more like the mechanic) ended up using Nissan throttle body cause “the part was lying around and fit well”. Replaced all the sensors and the igniter box and still the same problem. They have been stumped on this since November. Any ideas or suggestions on fixing this are appreciated.

#141 ·
Which transmission is it in the car? How is the speedometer hooked up, if at all? Is the check engine light on, have they checked for trouble codes? Off the top of my head if you do not have a proper speed signal, you will have issues with an auto trans.

When you say it wont rev up, is this while rolling in gear or in park/neutral? Factory ECU with stock tune, or any piggybacks?

#143 · (Edited)
Can someone confirm ? please thanks !
It's for 2JZGE swap with original W58
2JZGE > JZ Bellhousing to W58 > W58 5MGE original Clutch > W58 5MGE original Fork > Original W58
And
2JZGE > JZ Bellhousing to W58 > JZ NA MT Clutch > JZ NA MT original Fork > Original W58
both are ok ?

In a word... If you go with 2J NA MT clutck kit on original mk2 W58...you have to use the fork from JZ ?
Finding mk2 W58 clutch kit is difficult instead of Clutch kit for NA JZA or SC300 and I would like to confirm what combination is ok for the original mk2 W58

Thanks for help !
It's difficult to find information sorry if already seen in previous post...

#144 ·
im running all original fork throwout and slave for the factory w58. little bit of farting around but it can be done. biggest issue i had was the factory slave needed to be spaced between the bell housing and slave in order for it to press on the fork correctly. honestly the fork does need to be longer but ive had no issues with mine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.