Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Problems: Stereo and dash solar wiring

9K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  AJ 
#1 ·
HELP!!!!
Ok, I have gotten around to my Supra that I have been meaning to install the original stereo back into the car. As always someone cut the freaking wires. So I bought the wiring plugs on ebay that plugs directly into the stock stereo. Luckily, whoever installed the stereo, labeled what goes where. However, there are some leftover wires. I took photos of the remaining wires. The wiring diagram on the TRSM to me may as well been written in Greek. No help there. Here is what I have so far:
Speaker wires are no problem, I have those hooked up. Antenna wire coming from the radio plug (solid blue), they had it go to a Pink wire w/blue stripe and red tags combined with a Black wire w/red stripe. I have a remaining Pink wire w/blue stripe and red tags. I suspect this may go to the other antenna wire coming from the plug, the Blue with white stripe. I have two Brown wires w/blue tags and one Green wire with red tags remaining. I also have the Orange dimmer wire coming from the radio plug with no home. See photo.

Next problem, one that I have been meaning to get to. Finally have a photo of it. The solar item on the dash on the passenger side. I took out the glove box insert to take a photo of what I'm talking about. There is nothing to plug it into. Below it is another plug and it definitely doesn't fit. They are two male plugs. This plug is a single wire Black w/red stripe. I figure maybe it plugs into what goes into the mystery hole, but whatever is supposed to be there is missing. So I have two plugs and nothing is around that looks like it plugs into.

HELP!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Year of your MKII...

Did you look in the wiring diagrams pictures in the online TSRM???

#4 ·
Mystery hole is for a steel braket that secures the white plastic rectangle
(just left of it) agsainst the housing.
In the factory harness, there is 4 wires that are doubled-up
The P-L (Pink with Light blue line is one of them,
so is B (solid Brown), P (solid Pink), and finally
L-Y (Light blue with Yellow line)

The 12V for radio lamps is solid Green, but not showed on the TSRM

All above colors were right in my 85.

#5 ·
Ok here to answer a few of the questions. I have an '86 MKII. I did look at the wiring diagram on the TRSM. Little to no help at all. The wiring plugs do not have the same color wires as the wiring harness. It has the standard color combination that you have to figure out which wires on the wiring harness they go to. Here is a diagram of the plugs.

RedP85, What is the purpose of having some of the wires doubled up? What are they for? I think I have every one of the doubled up wire with something except for the Brown wires (see 1st photo). I guess I hook up the green wire to the orange dimmer wire from the radio plug.

#6 ·
When you look at the radio in the TSRM, you will notice that the radio is divided by a line. You will also notice that all wires, except the woofer wires are doubled-up. My guess is it was made for a simpler radio, with another set-up of speakers (2 + woofer). The "doubles" are all wired to the OTHER woofer plug, which is blue, and is 7 contacts. Probably a cheaper Toyota radio would have plug there.

#7 ·
Bruiser remember the Crutchfield wiring diagram is for the radio, the wiring colors are universal for radios not Toyotas. I know thats my diagram from Crutchfields I posted a while ago.

You should go find a 85/86 Sup and cut out the factory wiring harness with connectors and re-install in your car, then you can connect to the Metra/Scosche harness on your radio.

Any questions I can answer feel free to post or pm me. I do have the '86 Electrical Wiring Manual as well.

#8 ·
Yes AJ, you are correct that is your crutchfield diagram. The plugs I just bought are for the stock Toyota stereo. They fit into the back of the stock stereo, the wires are different colors than the wiring harness. The stock wiring harness was cut and gone. No chance on getting another plug from another supra unless someone has one out there. This plug I just bought will work, just where do the wires connect to? AJ, in your wiring diagram, does it show also where the ambient light sensor wires connect to and the mystery black wire w/red stripe connect to? Can anyone see the photos with what wires I am talking about?

#9 ·
Bruiser, I believe the mystery black-w/red wire goes to the glove box light or glove box switch?? But just a guess??

#10 ·
#11 ·
Bumpty...here's the Crutchfield wiring harness diagram I posted way back...someone recently was looking for radio wire color info...

#14 ·
J, actually found it on a Google search looking for it on the Crutchfield page; it was posted there years ago; now you have to buy something before you get access...

#15 ·
Again Bumpty...here's the Crutchfield wiring harness diagram I posted way back...someone recently was looking for radio wire color info...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.