Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

How to decypher your firewall data plate

33K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  drjim 
#1 · (Edited)
How to decipher your firewall data plate

Most of the bottom firewall dataplate information can be found in the cs.com history section: http://www.celicasupra.com/othercodes.htm

The model information can be found here:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/newcodes.htm

You should have no problem using this information to decypher your "own" data plate. Here's an example of data plate info and how it's broken down:

-------

Data plate info: 8B4LG86F283W58

Paint: 8B4 -- Dark Blue Metallic Clear Coat Paint.

Interior: LG86 -- Blue Leather P-Type Seats.

Axle: F283 -- F = 7.5" Ring Gear Diameter. 28 = 4.30 ratio (who knows what's there now however). 3 = 2 pinion/LSD rear.

Transmission: W58 -- 5-speed.

Model Code: MA61L-BLMQFA

M = Engine Family = M series, 6cyl, petrol.
A = Platform Type = Celica (-1985)
61 = Model Code. In this case, it would be a Celica Supra w/ the 5MGE. Other examples: 45 = Celica Supra w/ the M-EU motor, 46 = the 4ME motor, 47 = the 5ME motor, 63 = the M-TEU motor. 70 = the 7MGE/GTE motor.
L = Drive configuration = Left hand drive. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT'S A L-TYPE SUPRA! (big misconception).

B = Model Code based on same platform. In this case, it's Celica Supra.
L = Body Style = Liftback.
M = Transmission Type = 5-speed, floor mounted.
Q = Trim Level or Grade = Highest Level.
F = Engine Type = Twin Cam EFI (Highest Performance)
A = Country Destination. In this case, it would be USA. Canada would be a K.

-------

[The above information is courtesy of Chris Eng -- thanks Chris!]

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe you are wrong with the model code description:
MA61 = 5M-GE
if this were so, then explain Australia.
MA61 5M-E
Elsewhere in the number it equatates SOHC or DOHC
I think what MA61 means is just the Celica Supra body with a 2.8 litre engine.

#3 ·
MA61 means an A6 chassis with an M-series block and I'm not sure what the last number means...

MA60- 5M in an A6 body style.

RA60 - 22R(Or 20R or whatever) in an A6 body style.

GA60 - third verse, same as the first, 1G-GTE version....

#4 ·
Well,

Ross's explanation sound feasible. Because our North America MKII's also say MA61 on the model code as well. A "61" is not listed as a example on the webpage.

Anyone else have a better explanation??? I will admit that the 2nd website does have a few "blanks" in it.

#7 ·
Ross said:
I believe you are wrong with the model code description:
MA61 = 5M-GE
if this were so, then explain Australia.
MA61 5M-E
Elsewhere in the number it equatates SOHC or DOHC
I think what MA61 means is just the Celica Supra body with a 2.8 litre engine.
I have explained it a million times... but anyway, Australia was still being supplied with Leaded Fuel till January 1st 1986, whereas the America was being supplied with Unleaded for a while. The 5M-GE was designed to run Unleaded because it has an Oxygen Sensor, whereas Australia and Switzerland for example was using the 5M-E because it did not require an Oxygen sensor since Leaded petrol was only avaliable. Also *Oxygen Sensors and Leaded Petrol don't mix.

Cheers.

#8 ·
What I mean is that January 1st 1986 was the introduction of Unleaded Petrol to the Australian market and that it was sold along side with Leaded petrol.

The 61 suffix in MA61 I believe means the body shape and equipment level, since the American and Australian shared many similarities in their Interior and Exterior Queues. Though Australia did not get the Leather Interior. :roll:

Hope it chears up everyone's opinon.

Cheers.

#10 ·
I think MA67 is a North American designation maybe?? Its on the firewall plate but the plate on the door says MA61. Go figure??

quote="Ross"]Now we just need to figure out the difference(s) between MA61 and MA67
:D[/quote]

#12 ·
I am new to the Supra world and have one quick question. is there a breakdown somewhere that would tell me how many 1985 supras were built with blue interior silver paint and automatic transmission? (not my exact specs but you get the idea)

#13 ·
No.......

Unlike the domestic world, the year & different model specifics information is not available to us. If there are records out there, Toyota is pretty tight lipped about it.

Years ago, someone did post a chart of the "total car sales" in North America from 79 - 98, but nothing else. As for deeper specifics.... nada...

#19 ·
It means you have a W57 5-speed transmission and an 7.5" 3.73 LSD differential.

#20 ·
I went back to the garage where my car is being worked on, last night. The plate is not easy to read & I may have got some of the alphabets wrong:

MODEL: MA61R-BLMO?Q?FN
ENGINE: 5M-GE 2759cc
CHASSIS: MA61-0109160
COLOUR: 301 YS24
GVM/BVM: BLANK
GCM/BKM: BLANK
JOB: 3061
GA/BA FRONT: W?M?N?57 F3 03
GA/BA REAR: BLANK

I can't transalate some of this. My concern is that I have not heard of a W57 box before. Will it handle my 7MGTE conversion? If my diff ratio is 3.73, is the common ratio not 4.3? If what I read is correct, does this mean that I will not have to change the diff, as the 3.73 is long enough for the 7MGTE & therefore the correct diff to use?

#21 ·
#28 ·
You can always jack the rear wheels off the ground, and turn the drivehaft by hand while counting the number of driveshaft rotations vs the number of rear wheel rotations.

Mark the shaft and tire with chalk so you can keep a count of the number of turns you make.

If the driveshaft turns less than 4 times for one rotation of the wheel, you've probably got a 3.73.

If the driveshaft turns more than 4 times for one revolution of the wheel, you've probably got the 4.30 gears.

Been doing this since the 1960's, and while it won't give you the exact ratio, it sure gets you in the ball park when there's only a few ratios available!

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.