cleaning the interior

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post Next Post Next Post
    CelicaSupra.com Member

cleaning the interior

What do you guys and gals use to clean your interior? for cloth that is. i bought an 86 and would like to clean the seats. I tried that foam type stuff (3 different kinds) but it does not seem to work. looks like it just spreads the dirt around. i am trying to get this one cleaned up so i can sell it. You would not believe what i found in this car. chicken bones under the seats and fries in places that i did not know they could get to!!!!!! i should mention the lady used this car to deliver newspapers. so i am thinking that most of the dirt and stains might be ink. any help would be great.

thanks jeremy

CelicaSupra.com Member Speed Racer's Avatar
    I'm thinking a full box of Tide (with bleach), a garden hose and a big brush.

Pour the tide all over the interior, roll down the windows, open the hatch....and turn the hose on full blast. You can use the big brush on the really dirty places. :wink:

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Be sure to stand back when you open the doors, you don't want your feet getting wet. Let it sit for a week with a dehumidifyer running in the backseat. Problem solved.

I have a steam cleaner attatchment on my shopvac that works wonders...nothings stumped it yet. I also have a Eureka Steam cleaner that shoots out steam....not hot water...between the two of them, i can pretty much get any stain out of my carpets.

Have a small Bissel steam cleaner. Used it to clean up a passenger side Terra Cotta P-Type seat over a year ago. Got all of the dirt stains out. Only thing it did not get out, was some ink stains/blotches from a leaky pen.

Bought mine from Target. Was under $60

Chris Eng
    1981 MA47 Silver Metallic 5ME Automatic
    1985 MA67 Super Deep Red 5MGE 5-speed
    Member PacNW Supras/Hidden Content from Popular Science
    Despite the constant physical and--judging by the twitchy, panicked expression--mental punishment inflicted on him by Dr. Bunsen Honeydew窶冱 experiments, Beaker keeps coming back for more. Clearly the Jackass crew grew up ingesting a healthy dose of these Muppet Show regulars.

CelicaSupra.com Member Angkistrodon's Avatar
    I took The Door panels and most of the interior Out of one of my parts cars..at first it was not much better than what I had in my car but it was not ripped up. I took the hose dish soap and stain remover washed them let the particle board dry........and DAMN!!!!!! they look great. if you have the cloth on your door panels etc. I recommend taking them out to wash them......much easier.

Hidden Content

I recomend taking the cloth of the seats, put it in a bath tub or somthing like that for a day, with a detergent that dissolves all the hard dirt, and then cook washing it in a machine. I have done that with all of my cars and the interior smells and looks like new. I know its hard to get all those brass or whatever theyre made off, rings that holds the cloth on the seats off, but i used two pliers to take them of and refitting them. Its really worth the effort !!!.
    84 Mk2 flying high

they make pliers for those rings, theyre called hog ring pliers, and they work wonders.

i worked as a detailer for almost a year, and if you wanna know how the pros do it, ill tell ya.

first, go to an automotive supply wholesaler, and find out what kinda cleaners they have, or find a diversey lever supplier.
    then, get some good professional cleaning products, and a steam cleaner, it should cost you like 70 bucks for it.... seems expensive, but its worth it, belive me!

put your soap into the steamer, and clean the WHOLE interior, i recommend doing it at like 6 am, then letting the car sit in the sun with the windows down all day.

do this two or three times.

get steel wool.... like 000000 or something really mildly abrasive, spray the windows with cleaner, and scrub em gently.
    dont worry about getting them super clean, youll clean them again later.

wash the exterior, do a good job.
    clean the exterior windows with the steel wool, then clean them again and make em CLEAN.

go back and do the best job possible on the interior of the windows.

it sounds minor, but who wants windows that smell like tobacco, or that have a nagging little streak....

i wouldnt buy a dirty car, but maybe thats just me
    - the Bentley Continental GT...at 1600 rpm it makes more torque than an entire production run of hondas
    - "Drifting...isn't that what homeless people do?"
    - Ah VTEC. All the lag, none of the turbo. It's like waiting for bad sex

CelicaSupra.com Member wallcrawlr's Avatar
    Thanks good post.

Keep posting those "insider" tips.
    Former owner:
    Champagne - - 83 Ltype
    Black - - 85 Ptype

CelicaSupra.com Member Marblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dogstar
    .....put your soap into the steamer, and clean the WHOLE interior, i recommend doing it at like 6 am, then letting the car sit in the sun with the windows down all day.........wash the exterior, do a good job. clean the exterior windows with the steel wool, then clean them again and make em CLEAN. go back and do the best job possible on the interior of the windows.

But after cleaning the interior, and with the windows down, how do you keep the water out of the car while you're washing the outside? Also, it's gotta be tough cleaning the windows when they're down, having to remove the door panel and working around the frame work and all.

:silly: :rotfl:

Released early for good behavior.
    Scott
    '93 MKIV TT-Hardtop, 6spd, black BPU++
    '86 MKII-perpetual restoration
    '83 MKII-6Mmmmmmmmm
    '77 Celica GT Liftback

Thread Information