Auto to Manual Swap FAQ - Page 2

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Cod View Post
    In the FAQ section, when U said "You do need to cut out the floor slightly since the MKII/ Celica W-58 shifter location is too far forward from the auto hole location"....when U are referring to the "floor", you just mean the hump that the center console sits on right??

Nothing has to be done to the actual "floor", just to the opening where the gear shift lever goes through, right??

Just want to clarify this BEFORE I get halfway thru...

A prompt response would really, be appreciated as I'll probably start on it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dave

BTW Ur PM box is full so I couldn't PM U directly....
    e-mails e-mails e-mails... I leave my PMs full on purpose.
    Anyway - yes, the floor you need to cut out is just the hole in the trans hump. Your original auto shifter opening is not centered correctly for the MKII W-58. Its really no big deal - I just cut it w/ tin snips and folded it back.
    damon
    '76-'77 Celica GT's (x3)
    '81 MKI Supra's (x3.5)
    '82-'86 MKII's (lost count)
    '88 Celica all-trac
    '88 2WD Truck
    '87t -'90t MKIII's

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

I should have posted this long ago:
    You can see the original location of the forward mounting nuts that are cutted through
    I cut it to clear the rubber boot, and then
    I have pop-riveted a copper bar with threaded holes in place
    to replace the 2 missings one. This way you don't need someone under to hold the nuts.

Last edited by RedP85; 07-05-2007 at 10:11 PM.
    -Jocelyn,
    P85-6MGE SDR(HKS kit c/w IC and F-Con in a box) 225KKm, NAL seats, 2.5 Brullen, ACT clutch, LJM, SS lines, Trip Computer. EuroH4
    P85-5MGE SDR had 439KKm (for 17 years my daily driver, RIP...), 2002 E39 ///M5 LMB Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member racefanfoster's Avatar
    CRIME FREE Olive Branch,MS... Everybody carrys a GUN!
    Great info. this place is the shiznit. If you can't find it at CS.com, you better not try it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member CelicaDrifts's Avatar
    yes but will a mk3 trasnmission work with a 5m-ge??
    just owned my mk3 and looking into a mk2 but its auto, and im almost done taking out my engine from the mk3 trany and drive shafts are out, as welll as most of the engine bay and exhaust

can i put the tranny onto a 5m-ge ???
    if so i wanna drive it like that until i can rebuild my 7mge

CelicaSupra.com Member zuprax85's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CelicaDrifts View Post
    yes but will a mk3 trasnmission work with a 5m-ge??
    just owned my mk3 and looking into a mk2 but its auto, and im almost done taking out my engine from the mk3 trany and drive shafts are out, as welll as most of the engine bay and exhaust

can i put the tranny onto a 5m-ge ???
    if so i wanna drive it like that until i can rebuild my 7mge
    yes you can., but you still have to get the hard line from the MC to the sleeve cylinder.
    Edgar M.

85 Two tones P-type 5 speed R.I.P Hidden Content

84 White P-type 2JZ-GE 5 speed Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by zuprax85 View Post
    yes you can., but you still have to get the hard line from the MC to the sleeve cylinder.
    There is quite a bit more work than that involved since the '84 is an auto and he wants to swap in a 5 speed.
    -Chris

1983 Celipra GTS:
    6M bored .50 over. 250cc injectors. Delta 272 regrind cams. Carter HF fuel pump.
    Pacesetter header w/2.5" cutsom exhaust. Open air intake filter. 3" piping to TB. 65mm TB & ported AFM.
    4:10 rear from Supra. BillyM shifter kit. Swapped most interior over to black. T3 camber plates.
    935 Budget Coilover kit. KYB AGX struts. T3 Needle bearing upper perch kit. Eibach Sport rear supra springs. SF Ford TFI Performance coil.
    Almost finished with the fiberglass hatch!

CelicaSupra.com Member frankie_lala's Avatar
    and the w58 in the mkiii supras have a longer rear transmission housing iirc
    silvpra 85
    7mgte r154 swap underway

CelicaSupra.com Member zuprax85's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 83CelWA View Post
    There is quite a bit more work than that involved since the '84 is an auto and he wants to swap in a 5 speed.
    i thought since he posted in this thread, he MUST read the whole thread which explain you the whole process, agreed is a lot of work if you dont know what are you dealing with.
    Edgar M.

85 Two tones P-type 5 speed R.I.P Hidden Content

84 White P-type 2JZ-GE 5 speed Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by frankie_lala View Post
    and the w58 in the mkiii supras have a longer rear transmission housing iirc
    The shifter housing and inner rod selector are set further back on top from the MK3's.

Quote Originally Posted by zuprax85 View Post
    i thought since he posted in this thread, he MUST read the whole thread which explain you the whole process, agreed is a lot of work if you dont know what are you dealing with.
    I figured he did no research into the subject at all since it has been stated that there is very little difference between the MK2 and MK3 Supra W58 on this forum many times.
    -Chris

1983 Celipra GTS:
    6M bored .50 over. 250cc injectors. Delta 272 regrind cams. Carter HF fuel pump.
    Pacesetter header w/2.5" cutsom exhaust. Open air intake filter. 3" piping to TB. 65mm TB & ported AFM.
    4:10 rear from Supra. BillyM shifter kit. Swapped most interior over to black. T3 camber plates.
    935 Budget Coilover kit. KYB AGX struts. T3 Needle bearing upper perch kit. Eibach Sport rear supra springs. SF Ford TFI Performance coil.
    Almost finished with the fiberglass hatch!

CelicaSupra.com Member CelicaDrifts's Avatar
    i did read the thread, but i still dont have any idea as to what i would need to buy or change to make my 87 tranny work on the 5mge 84 celica supra
    if im in the wrong thread can u tell me where the right one is??

Thread Information