Upgrade outline, ideas & suggestions - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CelicaSupra.com Member Dangerous Ken's Avatar
    Well I got the black 81 in February and have been getting suspension parts together all year.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo MKI
    As many of you know from my turbo MKI or w/ your own - the suspension is one of the biggest problems.
    The Canadian Mk1s got the LSD rear - 79/80 3.9, 81 3.73.
    So I got a hold of the 81 solid axle 3.73 LSD rear for starters.

I got Koni Yellow (86-1991) for the front and Koni Red (28-1131) for the rear.

Then George got me a bunch of parts from Austrailia:
    Dobinson RA40;TA40 Front Lowering Springs: $124
    Dobinson RA40;TA40 Rear Lowering Springs: $124

SuperPro SPF0509K Front Control Arm Lower - Inner Bushing: $19.77
    SuperPro SPF0910K Front Idler Arm Bushing: $14.84
    SuperPro SPF0307K Front Strut Bar To Chassis Mount Bushing: $21.66
    SuperPro SPF2092BK Front Sway Bar Link Bushing Kit: $9.97
    SuperPro SPF0427K Rear Panhard Rod To Chassis Mount Bushing: $14.22
    SuperPro SPF0963K Rear Panhard Rod To Diff Mount Bushing: $11.61
    SuperPro SPF0018K Rear Trailing Arm Lower Bushing All: $50.09
    SuperPro SPF0018K Rear Trailing Arm - Upper - Bushing All: $50.09
    SuperPro SPF1285-24K Front Sway Bar Mount To Chassis Bushing (PP): $9.15

Whiteline RA40 KPR009 Off Car Adjustable Panhard Rod: $74.74
    Turns out the Whiteline Panhard bar comes with yellow polyU bushings so you wouldn't have to order the blue superpro ones - saves $25...

Got PP swaybars from the parts car so all that is left that I didn't get because it may not be necessary or it may not fit / work with the stuff above and the 5mge I have in the car:
    Whiteline RA40/60 Liftback BTF25 24mm Front Sway Bar: $86.11
    Whiteline RA40/60 Liftback BTR25R 18mm Rear Sway Bar: $109.97
    Whiteline RA40 KSB601 Front Strut Tower Brace allow adjustable: $126.73
    Whiteline RA40 KCA362 Front Roll Centre Adjust: $178.66

That's close to $1500 on suspension before wheels and tires (and labor)

And then there's the 85P I bought to transport a a built 6m in CA to the Mk1 in WA...

Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    I finaly get a parts list from Ken Christ I'm going to be busy.I need to quit my job just to finish all the projects

84 P-type, 7mgte, too many other mods to list, 20k miles on the chassis. 83 L-type, 7mgte/A340 swap, again, to much to list. 85 P-type, basicaly stock, DD.

CelicaSupra.com Member 85midnightsupra's Avatar
    this post is awesome!!! this is really going to help the MKI community....... thanks damon and everyone else who added on to the post. i was starting to think about selling my MKI b/c of the lack of suspension upgrades. now i have plenty of ideas brewing
    -Jonathan 1985 black MKII 7mgte 299rwhp/321tq 9lbs [email protected] SOLD : (

Our father, who art in Toyota hallowed be thy name. Thy 7m has come, the boost will be done in MKII and it is in MKIII. Give us this day our daily kill and forgive us our awesome launches, as we forgive Hondas who launch against us.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Does an airvalve on the 5me serve the same purpose as an ISC on the 5mge? When I swapped in an 85 5mge to an 81 mk1, I didn't know what to do in that regard so I removed the ISC and fashioned & installed a blockoff plate. I was recently told that I could have used an 82 intake manifold instead and kept the airvalve. I've never owned an 82 and didn't know - all my twenty or so mk2's have been 83 and newer. I wasn't aware even that the 82 had vacuum advance dizzy either until researching the 81 swap.
    Jonathan (85midnightsupra) owns and drives that 81 now and if there would be an advantage to putting an 82 intake manifold on it, we sure would do that. It idles a bit rough until warmed up.
    Perhaps I should have started a new thread, but I think this is pertinent to the info needed for upgrading to 5mge from the 5me.
    Dave Harrison

current lineup and year acquired:

'85 white Mark2 7mgte 5sp 1988
    '85 white Mark2 7mgte Auto 2009
    '84 maroon Mark2 6mge 5sp 2013
    '86 red Mark2 7mgte 5sp 2016
    '85 black Mark2 6m Frankenmotor 5sp 2017

very good question dave..... im sure the guy your helping out will really appreciate it ;-)...... thats the other issue concerning my car. if i get this out of the way, ill have plenty of incentive to put money into this car....

Our father, who art in Toyota hallowed be thy name. Thy 7m has come, the boost will be done in MKII and it is in MKIII. Give us this day our daily kill and forgive us our awesome launches, as we forgive Hondas who launch against us.

omg this is great , i wanted this type of info a year ago and it was like deciphering hiroglyphics , you guys rock. please keep the info coming

CelicaSupra.com Member Suprafanatic's Avatar
    Yes, this certainly gives hope to the MKI crowd. Thanks Damon for all that input - when it comes to f'n around with Supras, if he hasn't done it, it prolly ain't worth doing. Thanks also to Ken for all that info.
    I'm afraid I won't have anything orignal to add anytime soon, but we'll see as time goes on. I have Tokico's coming, along with a set of PP springs and sways. That's at least a step in the right direction. Still have to do the 5 speed swap. Next, I might graft the entire rear subframe from a MKIV under that old chariot and see what happens.....

Junkie, I feel you. I AM quitting my job to get my projects finished.....
    Cheers, Canadian Phil adrenaline"at"gto.net
    84 Maroon P-type - 82 P-type w/20K - 82 LP track bitch - 91 TT-R - 94TT 6spd - 89 Soarer Aerocabin
    "I'm not from here - your laws don't apply to me."

Quote Originally Posted by 4SFED
    Does an airvalve on the 5me serve the same purpose as an ISC on the 5mge? When I swapped in an 85 5mge to an 81 mk1, I didn't know what to do in that regard so I removed the ISC and fashioned & installed a blockoff plate. I was recently told that I could have used an 82 intake manifold instead and kept the airvalve. I've never owned an 82 and didn't know - all my twenty or so mk2's have been 83 and newer. I wasn't aware even that the 82 had vacuum advance dizzy either until researching the 81 swap.
    Jonathan (85midnightsupra) owns and drives that 81 now and if there would be an advantage to putting an 82 intake manifold on it, we sure would do that. It idles a bit rough until warmed up.
    Perhaps I should have started a new thread, but I think this is pertinent to the info needed for upgrading to 5mge from the 5me.
    There are many ways to go about anything but as far as I'm concerned, doing the 5M/6M-GE swap into the MKI can be quite easy using many '82 5M-GE parts. '82 Supras have so much in common w/ MKI's its unreal. The airvalve set up is identical so I suggest just using the entire '82 upper plenum. You can just port it out to match to the PP lower runners. And for simplicity, I just used the '82 vac advance distributor. When I did the swap in my '80 - I used an '84 P-type motor, but just w/ '82 parts to get it all to work w/ the least amount of fuss. I really didnt expect it to turn out all that great - the MKI isnt that much lighter than the MKII plus loosing some power using the earlier parts (compared to all the '84+ PP parts), but it was really impressive.

Ken - that list kicks ass; great contribution! I've seen this or that part listed over the years so I knew they existed, but its awesome to have a list of part #s w/ prices; good stuff, hopefully someone will sticky this. Considering how well my black PP MKI handles - when you get around to installing all those parts, it should be quite impressive. Still going to need to address the wheel hop issues and stiffen up the car to get the most out of everything. The one thing I cant stand about the pre-'82 celicas and supras is that terrible steering box. Even if you have a tight one or adjust out the slop, the ratio sucks. I believe the key to top rate handling would be converting to rack & pinion... I'm probably going to do this when I build up my next turbo MKI.
    damon
    '76-'77 Celica GT's (x3)
    '81 MKI Supra's (x3.5)
    '82-'86 MKII's (lost count)
    '88 Celica all-trac
    '88 2WD Truck
    '87t -'90t MKIII's

thanks alot guys, im going to see if i find a 82 intake manifold and hopefully that solves my problem....
    Where would i find whiteline? does anyone have the website?

Quote Originally Posted by 85midnightsupra
    thanks alot guys, im going to see if i find a 82 intake manifold and hopefully that solves my problem....
    Where would i find whiteline? does anyone have the website?
    Dude - I have several '82 plenums - just shoot me an e-mail.
    As for the aussie parts (whiteline, etc...) - talk to George at Raptor.
    damon
    '76-'77 Celica GT's (x3)
    '81 MKI Supra's (x3.5)
    '82-'86 MKII's (lost count)
    '88 Celica all-trac
    '88 2WD Truck
    '87t -'90t MKIII's

Thread Information