Upgrade outline, ideas & suggestions - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    what body style comaro do we source the socks from?
    Just an 82 supra Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by joefoe
    what body style comaro do we source the socks from?
    its '82 and up.
    I tried a set of stock replacement sach's first to see how well they really worked before I spent any real $. Once I tried them, I got a set of Comp. Engineering 3 way adjustable drag shocks for the turbo MKI which work great.
    damon
    '76-'77 Celica GT's (x3)
    '81 MKI Supra's (x3.5)
    '82-'86 MKII's (lost count)
    '88 Celica all-trac
    '88 2WD Truck
    '87t -'90t MKIII's

hey man

hey man just seen that your teaching a lot of the things that I taught you when I built my 80 the first time. you said a mki is not much litter then a MKII I thinck 400+ is a big difrence and it is very easy to get another 250+ lbs out of the MKI and still look all stock at first appreince.

Im also glad to see all the new info for the MKI s Im sure you had a lot to do with that. it is going to make my V8 swap a lot easer.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo MKI View Post
    There are many ways to go about anything but as far as I'm concerned, doing the 5M/6M-GE swap into the MKI can be quite easy using many '82 5M-GE parts. '82 Supras have so much in common w/ MKI's its unreal. The airvalve set up is identical so I suggest just using the entire '82 upper plenum. You can just port it out to match to the PP lower runners. And for simplicity, I just used the '82 vac advance distributor. When I did the swap in my '80 - I used an '84 P-type motor, but just w/ '82 parts to get it all to work w/ the least amount of fuss. I really didnt expect it to turn out all that great - the MKI isnt that much lighter than the MKII plus loosing some power using the earlier parts (compared to all the '84+ PP parts), but it was really impressive.

Ken - that list kicks ass; great contribution! I've seen this or that part listed over the years so I knew they existed, but its awesome to have a list of part #s w/ prices; good stuff, hopefully someone will sticky this. Considering how well my black PP MKI handles - when you get around to installing all those parts, it should be quite impressive. Still going to need to address the wheel hop issues and stiffen up the car to get the most out of everything. The one thing I cant stand about the pre-'82 celicas and supras is that terrible steering box. Even if you have a tight one or adjust out the slop, the ratio sucks. I believe the key to top rate handling would be converting to rack & pinion... I'm probably going to do this when I build up my next turbo MKI.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member
    Cool Ideas! How hard was the coil upgrade? I am lookin into doing some suspension work here soon and need to get some springs and stuff. Good job!
    I'd consider it a personal favor if you did not show up at the meet. you can just disappear.

Who has converted a MKI to rack n pinion steering?

How about installing a 1UZ-FE?

John

Awesome info. I will study this and start ordering parts. I am currently running KYB Gas Adjust shocks in the rear and their struts up front. Maybe new springs, bushings and sway bars would really help out. The engine upgrades adding 30 hp plus is great! The wheel hop is terrible on the MK1's! I remember my teenage tire spins causing horrible bouncing. Also the worn rear bushings caused me 3 bent driveshafts too. Keep the info coming guys and I will read religiously.

the worn rear bushings caused me 3 bent driveshafts
    Forgive me for asking a possibly stupid question, but why would worn rear bushings cause a bent driveshaft?

I'm asking because I want to make sure I wont have the same problem.

possibly he meant that it broke the u-joints as bad bushings would not cause the shaft to 'bend'. The original bushings are way too soft when new - and then after time and use, they become terrible, making the wheel hop and slop even worse. The wheel hop is terribly stressful on the rear, trans and driveshaft but likely the rear iteslf or u-joint will break first, which happened to mine several times over...
    damon
    '76-'77 Celica GT's (x3)
    '81 MKI Supra's (x3.5)
    '82-'86 MKII's (lost count)
    '88 Celica all-trac
    '88 2WD Truck
    '87t -'90t MKIII's

The original bushings were getting soft. When I would slam the car into second gear and get rubber the driveline would torque up and hit the floor. It was in a bind and bent it in the middle. I cornered the market in drivelines at the local junk yard for a while until I just stopped killing second gear.
    1981 PP Supra. (my first car)
    1980 Driver Supra.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Right, I see. I'm going to drive my car carefully. Thanks.

Thread Information