Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Homemade rear hatch carpet

29K views 33 replies 27 participants last post by  dannoxyz 
#1 ·
After searching thru many posts, and surfing the carpet web sights for new rear hatch carpet, and finding that no one makes it I decited to make my own.
I ordered 1-½ yards of carper from 1aauto.com $60.00 shipped. Laid the new carpet down backing side up put the old carpet on top backing side up, this is important because the shape is not symmetrical, the center is 1-½ inches from side to center different, and the cut out for each tower is slightly different.

I then used safety pins in the corners, to make sure it would not move as I traced out the pattern with a black marker.

I used a box knife to cut out the slit for the seat backs, and cut the V shape cut outs for the luggage strap.

Removed the old carpet to reveal the outline.

Next I used sharp scissors to cut out the pattern, leaving it on the outside of the marker line, better to have it a little large and trim latter if necessary. This took me a little more then 2 hours to this point.

Put new carpet in car and check for fit, trim as needed I spent another 1-½ hours to do this.

Now I took the carpet to a upholstery shop, and had them sew a border around the outside to give it a finished look. They charged me $45.00 to do this.

Next I laid the old carpet on top, and folded back the bottom so I could mark the location of the luggage slides.

With a box cutter I cut out the luggage slides from the old carpet, them trimmed to remove any old carpet I missed. Next I used a cigarette lighter to burn off stray fibers.
I left the old rubber backing on the bottom of the slides. This will give it good surface for the adhesive on the next step.

Again lay the carpet down and with a hot glue gun apply the adhesive to the bottom of the slides.
Place the slide down at the pre marked location. Press and hold so the glue can work its way into the carpet fibers and create a good bond.

After all slides were down I went back and added glue to any spots that didn’t bond well enough.

It seems like it has a good bond on the luggage slides, but I will be careful not to slide heavy objects side to side, as the slides sit up higher then the original carpet. It looks like they heat pressed them in at manufacturing, only time will tell how well my glue job holds.

Then I trimmed any extra glue that was visible, try to keep the glue job as clean as possible, the glue stick package say they dry clear but it shows up white against the carpet surface, and takes forever to trim.
Time to do this 4-5 hours ?. I lost track of time just wanted to finish it.

Put carpet back in car, and replace carpet grommets stays, and luggage straps.

looks a lot better, not good as factory but the old carpet was the only real bad part of my nice interior. Total cost around $125.00 total time 8-10 hours.

PS I did talk to a couple of upholstery shops and got prices of around $350.00 to make complete without the luggage slides the places I went to said they couldn’t or wouldn’t put them back on.

See less See more
#31 ·
anyone have plans of doing this for the interior carpet? mine is in awful condition, not torn, but stained really bad. does anyone know what size carpet would be adequate? with all the forming that willl need to be done, i would guess a lot more than it looks.

#32 ·
Sorry for opening up this ancient thread :LOL: but I’m at the point that I’m looking for rear hatch carpets because my carpet had mouse pee all over it and was ripped apart because it was falling apart. I’m looking for oem carpets that have the towers like yours in the pictures but I can’t find any so I’m going to try and make them instead. Do you have the measurements for the carpet and the towers ?

#33 ·
Probably a lot cheaper and easier to just buy it:

Reactions: AJ
#34 ·
You can use a router to trim channel for luggage sliders.
Then use a polyurethane glue to attach them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.