Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Project SuperWhite WidowMaker!!

49K views 207 replies 67 participants last post by  BushyTail23 
#1 ·
Well the time has finally come where I am seeing progress in the construction phase and the undoing of bolts is slowly coming to an end.

First off, here is the car BEFORE I started the rebuild. As you can see she was in pretty good shape and most people wouldn’t have done too much with her, but she had her little blemishes that I wanted gone!! She has about 190k kms.

So as you can see, I do use her for AutoSlalom and I will continue to do so after she is finished….even more so!! I only got to go to two events last year with her.

So commence PROJECT SUPERWHITE WIDOWMAKER!!

I only got my digital camera for Christmas so some of the deconstruction is missing. Here she is in the storage unit under the knife:

Inside passenger rear quarter….not good:

Inside driver’s rear quarter….very good!!....

I noticed I had water in my tire well one time last summer, so look in both quarters. The passenger was empty (already a rust hole for the water to drain out of :(). The driver’s side was full to the rim with water, so I quickly pulled the drain plug. There must have been close to 3-4 litres (1 gallon) of water in there. Luckily not much rust!!

Onwards…..

So time for some open heart surgery…

A view of the original clutch and flywheel (to the best of my knowledge):

More deconstruction:

mmmmmm…..engine oil sludge and 22 years of seepage:

And the hatch….I didn’t think it was too bad until the glass came out, lots of holes along the whole lower seal edge. I have a new seal for the glass…but I am waiting on my replacement hatch.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I didn’t get all the pictures I wanted to off some of the rust patches, but a few were seen in the pictures above. So now I moved the car over to my friend’s place, where he fixed the rust issues and painted the car for me.

First up, etching primer on the bare metal:

Now the base primer:

The front windshield bad spots that weren’t visible until it was out…..

Windshield available to a good home:

Now taped up…..soooooo close to paint

#3 ·
And the new paint….SuperWhite of course!! As you will see the interior is black….it’s actually RockerGuard for a bit of durability! Plus the other stuff to come…………

On the way to get wet sanded!!!

Back from sanding and in the storage unit….sorry no outside pictures yet.

Oooohhhh new door seals…..

#4 ·
The start of laying down my SecondSkinAudio sound deadening. This is the Damplifier Pro.

Close up of the actually matting:

Rest of car….the rear brace is covered now too…

My fingers were sooo sore after smoothing out all that aluminum. I had a roller but you still have to get into the tight corners, etc. And this was only after about 1/3 of the car completed!!

Then I have the SecondSkinAudio Heat Wave as a replacement for the stock insulation.

Cut to fit the stock black rubber pieces.

Then I decided to install my taillights….dumbass that I am they have to come off again since the bumper has to go on!! :duh: I did use the new Kbox gaskets though. Excellent product!! Thanks Jody!!

Then I got the wiring in:

And got the heater in….what a pain in the ASS!!!

I’ll update as I make more progress….thought I would share this much…

Cheers,
Grant

#13 ·
Thanks guys!! Much much more work than you think goes into this, for those that have never done. Just wow, at how much effort this takes. I now have a whole new appreciation for restorations!!

Well, with the money I have already invested in the car...I don't even want to think about what the price of labour would be!! HOLY HELL!!! Although it would comfort me to know how much I am "saving" and I use that word loosely!! haha...

I'll definitely be up to meeting some of the Cowtown folks. Actually there is a Supra located just down the street from my place in Calgary. A little rough looking...but a Supra none-the-less! I'll have to figure out who owns that one...it's in the Bridgeland neighbourhood, I believe.

Cheers,
Grant

#15 ·
Wow Grant! Man you have been busy! Good to see the car went to a good home.

#16 ·
Well Grant, jugalo, Daves and yourself (not to forget about yannis) are all doing fantastic jobs these days.
You were all inspired probably by Geg G and Phil Dupler, whom put on the map
the MK2 restos, if I can say.

I did similar resto on the outside, and only cleaning & re-leather.on the inside.
None of them were as in deept as yours, so I understand very well when you type much much time !

Good job !

#18 ·
Damn, looks great - and kudos for the attention to the insulation/acoustics. All these white ones being cherried out....I second the thought - wish I had time to tear mine down and rebuild it like that.

#21 ·
i wouldnt have the balls to take the whole car apart like that! how do you know where everything goes lol??? awesome car btw.

#22 ·
Ok...as one of the moderators of this forum I'm going to have to put a stop to this. I can NOT have you guys posting your HOT build threads while my car just sits there. So please keep your beautiful cars to yourself unless you enjoy a 3 month banning.

In the future please clear all build threads with me before you post.

Thanks...

PS: AWESOME WORK GRANT...DAMN!!

#49 ·
Ok...as one of the moderators of this forum I'm going to have to put a stop to this. I can NOT have you guys posting your HOT build threads like this. So please keep your beautiful cars to yourself unless you enjoy a 3 month banning.
I second this, since you seems to enjoy torturing (sp?) us with your XXX pics !

#24 ·
Thanks Guys!

Jocelyn: who is this Greg G and Phil Dupler you speak of? I've never seen them on the forums much. haha...do they have nice cars too??

Phil: Do you have a nice car?? According to Jocelyn you do...haha...I am a twin of no one....mainly because no one would really like to be my twin!!

Malibyte: The added insulation makes it a tight fit to get stuff back in place. Not to mention doing so with sore fingers! Toyota never designed things to fit with the added 3 mm of sound deadening. But we shall see just how everything goes back in place.

Mark: I hope the car is ready! If not, you and Bruce coming to St. John's for the weekend.

Art: Thanks.

Jonathan: I don't!! It's all trial and error now!! :)

George: Thanks for the parts....now hurry up and get me the rest of my shit!! Don't make me have to come to Toronto and hunt you down!! I really don't like resorting to having to break knees to get my shit!! Come on....ban me....I dare ya!! :iocrunks2:

Supra_Soul: The one I saw was a blue one...I think...that had L-type wheels on the front and the P-types on the back. It was just parked at the end of a back alley. Yours? Only caught a glimse, not sure what the actually condition was.

Now to shake this hangover and get some more work done.

Grant

#28 ·
Phil: Do you have a nice car?? According to Jocelyn you do...haha...I am a twin of no one....mainly because no one would really like to be my twin!!
I like to think I do, but then I see people like you and Bill (jugalo) going all out. I guess I better step it up a notch. Thinking ahead to my next project, looked today at a rotisserie, a company here in Fort Worth makes them. Really tho, there have been some awe-inspiring projects happening on this forum of late. I love it that some Supras are getting the treatment usually only given to first gen Camaros, other muscle cars and exotics.

#27 ·
Great Job!!! That's the way it should be done. That is a $15,000 to $30,000 job around here.

Keep up the great work!

#29 ·
Thanks again Guys!! I made slight progress today. Hope to do more tomorrow. Will post those pics up tomorrow....ohhh..suspense!! haha...

Mark: Hurry up and ship me my parts!! :D

Supra_Soul: Yeah, I seen your sig picture, but didn't know if you had a parts car or not. We shall meet up though!

droptopsupra: I can see where the money is spent!! Holy hell!! Still, it would be no where near as satisfying if I just paid someone to do the work! Once I drop the two subframes tomorrow I think I will have officially removed almost every bolt, screw, clip, etc from the car! So I am essentially BUILDING this car! It's awesome!!

Phil: A rotisserie is not to hard to rig up...just need a welded and some square tubing. Alf and myself were looking at the option and were going to remove the bumper supports and use those places to attach to the rotisserie. Would be nice when I go to do the undercoating. Which is going on with a brush, since I never had the chance to do it before paint, and now I am NOT going to be spraying and paint, etc near that car!! We shall see though!

Cheers,
More updates tomorrow.
Grant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.