Jim's MK2 Air Conditioning FAQ - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    where can i get ac lines for an 84. The liquid line has been discontinued and its the only thing holding me up from getting my ac working. this is the little skinny pipe coming off the evaporator. Any help would be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1radtoy View Post
    where can i get ac lines for an 84. The liquid line has been discontinued and its the only thing holding me up from getting my ac working. this is the little skinny pipe coming off the evaporator. Any help would be appreciated
    If the high pressure line is discontinued, your best bet is to get one from the boneyard, and clean the inside.

The factory is metric (ie, 5/16"). Tubing is relatively easy to get. New fittings, another story. Then to find an AC shop that has the tools to make
    double flares for 5/16".

The kit I created used 3/8" tubing. Easier to get, and increase the overall
    high pressure fluid line volume.
    Jim
    MK2 Geek Squad Member
    Hidden Content

Guys.. I just bought a '85 and have A/C issue too. (well in the summer I will).

I made hoses for my last A/C conversion and still have the tools. All I need are the old hose(s) and I can make a new barrier type hose. Let me know if this is a service I can provide.

I plan on replacing all my hoses this winter (as I get time and stop that dam clicking LOL)

Cheers

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member BBSupramk2's Avatar
    Yea I'm not fixing the a/c on my cars. Never gets hot enough here. and the two days that it does I just open the sunroof roll down the windows and drive faster. But nice write up man very informative. Finally got around to reading it today. I know I'm slow.
    cars are more reliable than girls
    83 Black Ptype My Nubian Prince (parts car)
    82 Terracotta Daily Driver. My friends call her Teri but I don't name my cars.

CelicaSupra.com Member Breadsticks14's Avatar
    That is one of the best writeups on this forum. Period.
    And thank you for your dedication to this problem that every 80's supra owner will have.
    - Cody

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    ok, this faq doesnt say which fitting on the stock compressor is the low side and which is the high side. the tsrm wasnt clear on this either and its been so long since i vac and charged my a/c i dont recall. can anyone provide the info here in the faq?
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

William, the low side is the thicker line,the larger fitting,closest to the fender

Often you can't get the hose connection onto the high side fitting due to the compressor bracket being in the way. Instead, you can use the high pressure side fitting located just inboard of the receiver/dryer, forward of the radiator (by the passenger headlight).
    84P - Primer (faded Lt Blue Metallic) - bought March 5, 1984 83P Auto Daily Driver - Gunmetal Grey - acquired Nov 2007 - Recovered from the dead 82L White - ~44,000 miles Garage Queen Hidden Content Hidden Content (starts post 25 - can't update at present)
    [Hidden Content

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    ive always been able to hook the high and low hoses from the gauge set directly to the compressor. i may use the high side by the passenger side this time though to get a more even vacume of the system though. gonna be awhile before i can buy the freon unfortunatly. stupid speeding ticket.
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

CelicaSupra.com Member wildfyr3's Avatar
    I have done a little research on refrigerants and ran across HotShot (R414b). Has anybody used this before? It should be more fitting for an R-12 system than R-134a is.

"Environmentally friendly Hot Shot refrigerant is a high performance replacement for R-12, R-134a and R-500. Its patented blend duplicates R-12's operating characteristics. UL Classified (see complete marking on product) with Safety Classification A1, Hot Shot is up to 8% more efficient than R-12, up to 20% more efficient than R-134a."

"Ever since the introduction of Hot Shot (414b) retrofits have been more reliable, electrical consumption has decreased and overall performance has been increased. Lower condensing pressures and great oil return are just some of the great benefits"

(http://www.icorinternational.com/hot...timonials.html)

From what I've seen R-414b is 135% more in cost. R-134a is about $1.16583 per oz and R-414b is about $1.66666 per oz when purchased in a single 10oz/12oz can.

Say, you go through one can of refrigerant a year, you live in the Gobi/Sahara/Kalamari desert. That puts you at $13.99/yr for R-134a and $16.66/yr for R-414b.
    1984 Supra (7MGTE in progress)
    2000 Tacoma 3RZ
    Hidden Content

Thread Information