Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Saggy Door Map Pocket Repair

16K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  '82supra 
#1 ·
I've searched FAQ for infomation on how to repair the elastic in map pocket but haven't found any. If this has been discussed before and I missed finding it I'm sorry. My passenger side map pocket elastic is broken, does anyone have any experience repairing this elastic?

#2 ·
Mine's broken on the driver's side. It's easy to see why... as soon as the elastic gets even the tiniest bit slack, then you inevitably snag the pocket with your foot while getting out of the car, stratching/breaking it even more, and so on.

For the moment, I used two little safety pins to hold it flush against the door so it wouldn't get torn any more. I'm waiting to hear if anyone has any tips to make that not-fun job any easier. Threading some new elastic through the hole in the top of the pocket seems straightforward enough, but how to attach it without taking the panel off the door?

Duncan

#4 ·
Door Pocket Repair

This is pretty common with these door pockets. The elastic dries out and just gets stretched out or breaks.

Pictures of before:

And a couple pictures of the elastic on the back of the door card. You can see how much it dried out and started falling apart:

First thing I did was removed all the old stretched out elastic including the rusted staples.

I bought some black elastic, because I could not find any maroon (can get it at any fabric store, or even walmart):

I then ran a solid core piece of wire through the hole across the top of the door pocket and attached the elastic to the wire. I used this method to be able to pull the elastic through the door pocket.

After, I stuck the ends of the elastic to the back side of the door card and pulled to the tension I liked, and pinned it in place:

I did a simple stitch to hold the joint together. Doesn't have to be anything crazy. Just grab a needle and thread and go nuts:

Pretty much done, just need to put the door card back in the car:

#5 ·
Sticky!!!

I wonder if they sell a similar product in a rope form for the mesh pockets behind the seats?

#7 ·
VERY VERY WELL DONE Jose!!!! Am very glad someone moved this to the FAQ!!!

Steve: There is a fix for the storage nets on the seatback shells as well. If the elastic still has a little bit of flex in it, it can still be reused.

http://www.forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=4222

#8 ·
Thanks for the compliments... I was going to make it a thread on its own last week when I did it but didn't think it would be such a help. I am still hunting down some round elastic for the seat backs because mine are completely dead. The ones I have found thus far are just to thin... Will update when I find some round elastic...

#9 ·
#10 ·
I've thought about buying the cord in white and dyeing it to the desired color but was a bit worried about the material they use to cover the elastic. If it is a synthetic fiber like nylon, it will not take the dye very well. I have dyed different items before where the thread it was stitched with did not change color at all when the rest of the item did. In my opinion black cord wouldn't look bad with the dark maroon interior like mine, but others with blue or even worse the terra cotta interior I think would stand out too much. I will probably order some black cord till I find another option, unless it doesn't look bad in black.

#14 ·
I used those elastic tarp tie downs with the plastic balls on the ends to replace the seatback elastic. Once again only seen them in black but its good strong elastic and they are just long enough to work.

#15 ·
map pockets

I took the easy way out on my doors. I just bought a roll of 3M velcro in black. Staples and Wal-Mart sell it. After cleaning the vinyl with some Windex, I ran the strips near the top edge of the pocket, right below the seam. You can still use the pockets, and although it's not a factory original type of fix, the velcro holds the pockets against the door nice and tight.

#16 · (Edited)
I also used thick elastic straps with adhesive velcro strips for a 15 minute fix (it took me loger to do this post!).

I got tired of looking at saggy map pockets, but I didn't want to go to extreme lengths.

I reused the elastic straps from some rollerblade pads I had laying around, since they already had velcro sewn on them. I cut the strap short and attached a piece of adhesive velcro strip to the other end (too lazy to sew).

First, I cut off the old tired elastics (or what was left).

Instead of removing the 28yr old door panels ('cuz I always end up messin' up the door upholstry clips), I inserted one adhesive velcro strip deep into the recesses at the top of each pocket where the old elastic used to be (a finger long strip is enough to give it strength).

I stuck velcro adhesive strips onto the top corners inside the pocket. I connected the elastic strap to the door first and then connected it to the pocket.

I'll probably have to replace the adhesive velcro strips some day (or might add a stitch or two when I have the inclination) but it holds decent enough for now. The Dollar Store sells adhesive velcro strips for a buck.

I tested it out with a Haynes manual, but would normally only store a map or two.

One less aggrivation out the way...just trying to finish some projects and minor fixups before spring fever hits! :woohoo:

ps. After about a week... cold weather causes the glue to be not so sticky, likely much better when warm. I might consider contact cement on the inside, since the map pocket is pretty thick and difficult to penetrate with needle and thread.

#19 ·
ps. After about a week... cold weather causes the glue to be not so sticky, likely much better when warm. I might consider contact cement on the inside, since the map pocket is pretty thick and difficult to penetrate with needle and thread.
Update: I would recommend doing it right the first time like OP described, and preferable ising a heavy duty adjustable elastic, but since I'm still reluctant to remove the door cards, I've been trying different adhesives on the above velcro strap quickie fix with no luck.

Then I used double-sided 3M tape stuck to the elastic velcro hooks, inserted, tucked...it stuck, D'oh!

#17 ·
I did a WAY cheat thing and used a mini bugee cord. It was at least blue to be close to the color.
Those pix were very good! Did it to the passenger side. The drivers side has not broken,yet. My ex girlfriend used to stuff a lot of stuff in there!Girl stuff.

#18 ·
If anyone has sourced out Heavy Duty Elastic in Blue, please let me know as i have 3 Blue Cars.

If worst comes to worst, I was thinking of getting Heavy Duty black elastic & covering the elastic with Blue cloth "tubing" from a Fabric/Sewing store.

As far as stapling the elastic on the back of the Door Card as it was done originally, I was thinking to fix one end leaving about 4 inches of elastic "free" and then tying a removable knot after pulling the other end thru.

In this way...as the elastic "stretches" (and even Heavy Duty Elastic will) it can gradually be tightened by moving the knot to compensate, so at least the Map Pockets....can always be kept "snug".

Anyway, if anyone has found a source for good Elastic that also close to original colour, please PM me.

Thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.