Brake conversion - Page 4

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I've been through most of this before.

The Wilwood's are the choice.

Inexpensive, narrow, high number of pads available and rebuildable.

There are not many OEM 4 piston calipers that have the piston
    diameter that the Wilwood does.

One will also note that most of the OEM 4 piston setups have
    much larger rotors, especially in width. Even for a 10.75" diameter
    rotor, you will need a minimum of 1" width rotor. Otherwise,
    the rotor will overheat and one will loose the intended braking peformance.

AP rotors are just plain expensive. Coleman is still the best choice
    in terms of quality and price.
    Jim
    MK2 Geek Squad Member
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    heres an idea i have. since your using 11in rotors, 84 300zx rotors are like 10.9in and at least .81in thick. they bolt up behind the hub as our rotors do. why not make a spacer to mount those rotors back toward the strut a little (like a wheel spacer, maybe .25-,5in)and then a spacer to push the caliper back so that less of the caliper will be sticking out past the hub face. that would help clear the wheels better. i was gonna do this but i was going to get custom hats made and buy 11inx1in rotors from coleman. i put it on hold as i have too many things going on at once and no funds for the project.
    william
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

We all know that the enegy that is built up by the car moving forward is converted to heat by using friction in order for the brakes to work. If the heat is kept down on the disc the car will stop better. What about those dust sheilds mounted behind the discs?

I really don't know anything about the air flow around the wheel and disc, but wouldn't it be better to run the car without the sheilds? Let more free air flow to the rear of the disc as well as the front. This would help in better braking performance with a slightly smaller disc. Will more air flow to the disc?

The only downfall I can see to removing the the sheilds is brake dust on all the suspension components and the inner wheel well. Also if oil or coolant blows out of the engine it may end up on the disc. Any other problems with doing this?

If I remember correctly years ago Nissan on thier racing 300ZX had a liquid cooled braking system.

It's so much more expensive getting all these parts here in Canada. If they are readily available over most parts counters the price would not be too bad, but they are not. One Wilwood dealer here told me to buy them from the States myself because it would cost me far less.

I love the BBK, so much so I found a set and bought it. I will not sell it and use the Z32 brake swap. For many though it is just too expensive, a few of us sat around one day and did the math...

1. Buy the BBK.
    2. Buy the calipers.
    3. Buy the discs.
    4. Buy the pads.
    5. Buy the special brake lines.
    6. Buy new rims.
    7. Buy new rubber for the rims.

We figured $4000 in total up here in Canada. The BBK alone was $1000 after shipping, customs etc.

So the Z32 swap is for them. I don't mind doing the work on it because it's cheap and fun to play with this stuff. I did a wheel conversion, now brakes. If the brakes work out I may try a suspension mod.

Nothing in life is for free. For building a 350+hp car the BBKs are only way to go. Unless Jdk decides to come up with something better. I may be interested.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

heres an idea i have. since your using 11in rotors, 84 300zx rotors are like 10.9in and at least .81in thick.
    The disc is smaller so different pads may be needed than the stock 300ZX pads. Also the mount hole circle is 4X114.3 and the center hole is too big to be made hub centric if you care about that.

Two VW discs come in 280X22 and 288X25, with both overall widths with the hat at 28mm. The 288mm diameter disc may be a little too big in diameter. In order to install them the center hole has to be machined bigger, 4X100 holes to mount the disc to the hub rear have to be drilled (these are 5X100) and the hub rear face needs to be machined down a few mm. Once the discs wear you'll have to make up new discs.

That's why I'm sticking to the 11" diameter disc and custom hat. Unless someone else comes up with another stock disc we can use. That would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by rsdeo
    I really don't know anything about the air flow around the wheel and disc, but wouldn't it be better to run the car without the sheilds? Let more free air flow to the rear of the disc as well as the front. This would help in better braking performance with a slightly smaller disc. Will more air flow to the disc?
    The cool air needs to arrive near the center of the rotor.

Cooling air travels "out" of the rotor "fins". Hence the configuration
    of directional rotors.

Rock shields do provide a purpose, other than rocks.

Road dirt/grease, bugs, and importantly, splashing water.

The later can be quite annoying as you loose braking effectiveness.
    Jim
    MK2 Geek Squad Member
    Hidden Content

It's so much more expensive getting all these parts here in Canada. If they are readily available over most parts counters the price would not be too bad, but they are not. One Wilwood dealer here told me to buy them from the States myself because it would cost me far less.
    Correct. The Canadian Customs is a real obstacle.

That's why there is such a plethora of US mail boxes
    just over the border from Canada.
    Jim
    MK2 Geek Squad Member
    Hidden Content

The cool air needs to arrive near the center of the rotor.

Cooling air travels "out" of the rotor "fins". Hence the configuration of directional rotors.
    Thanks Jim

I'll keep that in mind when mounting the discs.

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    The 288mm diameter disc may be a little too big in diameter. In order to install them the center hole has to be machined bigger, 4X100 holes to mount the disc to the hub rear have to be drilled (these are 5X100) and the hub rear face needs to be machined down a few mm. Once the discs wear you'll have to make up new discs.
    what modle and year did those disc's come on?
    william
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

CelicaSupra.com Member SupraFiend's Avatar
    I wouldn't put too much effort into finding a bigger brake solution that works with the stock rims. Anyone who is serious about improving the performance of their mk2 either has already or will be replacing the stock wheels. 14 inch wheels and 60 series tires on a 3000 pound car is ridulous by todays standards. Good work guys, I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

what model and year did those disc's come on?
    Check out http://www.dba.com.au/ and download their product catalogue. It's in .pdf format and it has a lot of good info.

According to them

94-97 Passat VR6
    94-97 Golf VR6

Thread Information