Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

BOV comparison ( shoppers guide )

41K views 64 replies 25 participants last post by  williamb82 
#1 · (Edited)
O.k. so I liked the idea Mark had with the Bov challange but I wont jack his thread so lets do it here .

This is a shoppers guide to bov's . All brands must be backed up with a sound clip and please keep it 1j/2j/7m/6m/5m only .
Post your bov vids pics and info . Lets get a thread going to show whats available and what to expect when you get it . I know we all love the sound but lets also talk about function and why some are better than others . More experianced members will hopefully share some horror stories of cheap china knockoffs failing and maybe share some tuning tips :D

Brand: Apexi Twin Chamber
mount point : turbo side custom flange
adjustment : valve reaction can be adjusted by the spring tensioning screw at the top, sound can be adjusted by turning the red collar to the desired port
impressions: love it , not too loud , reminds me of an airbrake
tuning : nothing yet no changes in tension but I have some questions :) I don't know enough about tuning a BOV so hopefully this thread will shed some light on this and help a few of us out .

See less See more
#2 ·
and i'll post the stock 7m BPV

exterior noise is not loud at all however when you sit inside the noise is quite moderate in my opinion. i would probably want something loudER on the outside but keeping the same noise level inside. What i dont really understand is how my 7M MKIII has no sounds at all compared to my 7M MKII. I cant hear my MKIII inside or out...

i'll get my hks ssqv on and posted another vid

shot of the kind of exhaust I have:

#3 ·
Bosch 108 on a 7mgte mk3
I have no sound clip but once spring comes along I will get one.
Under 10 psi it makes a nice pshhh sound, 12+ psi its a very loud and crisp.
I have heard different results from almost no sound to very loud. I think it just depends on the amount of boost your running and if its used or new.
I had a used Bosch 108 bpv before I bought a new one and it wasnt as nearly as loud as the new one.
For around $50 for a new 108 or 110 and basically a drop in replacement of the 7m bpv you really cant go wrong.

#5 ·
Nice Billy ,, why dont you enlighten us and tell all of us uneducated bov users on why the Greddy is so much better than the Turbo XS, Apexi, HKS and so on . This is meant to be a buyers guide so maybe more info will help others rather than making a "know it all " remark like that . Explain why some mount it on the turbo side and others mount it on the intake , pros/ cons. Some use 2 bovs pros cons,,, Venting to atmosphere has an effect on idle control , why not explain ? Adjustment settings , when is it correct ? You may have all these answers and can help someone . Why not share ? Maybe you have been there done that in some old thread and wrote 2 books about your wealth of turbo knowledge at the age of 22 ?sometimes you come accross as a know it all who thinks he shits in psi and pisses c16 :rolleyes:

You caught me on a bad day just explain you post is all I should have said ..

#6 ·
I say the best on the market is the Tial 50mm. I don't care for noise makers, which is why I modified my HKS SSQ to be quiet. But I think for all out air removal the Tial is the best. I'll try to get a sound clip of it blowing off, but it's hard in my car....lol

#8 ·
From what I've read in the other Supra forums, the Tial is a favorite. I've used the stock 7M, Bosch, Greddy Type-S and an HKS SSQ knock-off. Of those, the Bosch worked the best actually, but I was on mild boost. The new Synapse BOV is sounding really good, and the few people that have tried it say they love it. Jake (ABQMK2) said he's getting one, and I'm anxious to hear his experiences with it.

#7 ·
Based on the prior posts in this thread, I shouldn't have to explain shit. I'll put in as much as you guys did, "it make good noise, billy likey, fire hot"...

But I will. ...take a deep breath and open your mouth as wide as it can go, exhale. Hear much noise? How fast were you able to completely empty your lungs? Now, try the same thing while whistling. It'll make a great noise, similar to all those BOV's on the market, but to move the same volume of air, it would take considerably longer (and allow pressure buildup on the internals, ie compressor). The other thing you want to be sure of is diaphram size vs valve size on the single-action bov's. Those ones with little upper map-referenced diaphrams usually rely on a heavy spring, which not only slows, but restricts valve actuation.

I shouldn't have left out the Tial, that thing has a similar ideology behind it, "GET AS MUCH AIR OUT AS POSSIBLE". ...but there's no way to recirc the tial, so I would only suggest it on map based vehicles.

Seriously though, if you are buying a bov based on sound, you're a tool. You paid how much for your car to go "psheewwww"? Pick based on your boost pressure and budget, not sound/style. Bigger is better, flow is your friend, etc... Now excuse me, I've got to go piss some c16, thanks.

--billyM

#9 ·
My HKS used to sound like a really loud and annoying sneeze. I hated it. It totally gave away my secret.....lol. I pulled the red ring with the fins on it out and cut the fins out so it was just a ring. Now it sounds like a large exhale.....although I know for a fact it's too small for my car.

#12 ·
Who buys the blow off valve based on sound only?

The Tial I have works perfectly. The only downside is you can't recirculate it(like that matters to me).

#13 ·
I had several styles on my WRX but in the end found that a modified stocker, which recirculated, worked by far the best.

#14 ·
Thanks for the reply Billy your experiance is an asset here , unlike mine :)

I agree if you buy based on sound then you have your priorities screwed up . If you buy based on function and reliablilty and find some bovs sound offensive than you need a source for information to base your decision on . Thats the point of this thread !!

Armin, Superium , Killer S , Aaron, Walker and Billy thanks for posting I hope someone benifits from this as all I got was a headache :duh:

#16 ·
I should get mu synapse syncronic bov today..provided fedex leaves it, ive been trying to sign for it for 4 days now...i will get it installed asap and get some vids...check out my hardpipes and bov thread in the 7mgte section..no time to post link now. there are some vids in that thread...will report back...

#18 ·
I forgot to mention one BOV I used. I had a GFB that could be ran 100% recirc, 50% recirc/50% atmosphere, or 100% atmosphere. It worked great and provided some sound. I think the later model could be adjusted to what you liked best. I ran this when I switched to an aftermarket computer.

#20 ·
Brand: HKS Super SQV V2
mount point : Cold pipe on HKS pipe kit
adjustment : none
impressions : Great bov, has option to be recir. for race day :D
tuning : None

Here's a video of the HKS Super SQV V2 on my 7M-GTE vs. a HKS Super SQV V1 (modified)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYT7qMxDZqQ

Later found out my friend had being using super shitty silicon vacuum hosing on the lower pressure signal hose. lame..

Later,
Leon

#22 ·
Like this one ?

TiAL Sport Blow Off Valve

For use on turbo-charged and super-charged applications (Paxton, Vortec, etc.). The body and all internal components are CNC-machined from 6061 aluminum alloy. It features a large 1.98 in (50.5mm) valve; we believe this is the largest valve available with the highest flow capacity.
The V-Band design aluminum mounting clamp gives a very clean and unique appearance. The clamp is anodized and uses Stainless Steel hardware for a long lasting, corrosion-free appearance.
The valve seal utilizes a Viton O-ring that is clamped in place to prevent the possibility of sticking to the seat and pulling out. The valve stem and guide are Teflon-lubricated, hard anodize-coated for wear resistance.
The Blow Off Valve also comes with our own machined aluminum banjo-type air fitting and bolt, with over sized 10mm hose barb for quick actuator response. The actuator has a high temp silicone Nomex-reinforced diaphragm for long life.

Sounds good (pun intended ) LOL !!

question : what are the advantages and disadvatages of mounting the bov on the hot vs cold side ? Toyota always place them on the hot side yet 90% of the swaps we see the bov is mounted on the cold side . Were they wrong or does it make a difference what side it's mounted on ?. Please provide pros and cons for the folks that are wondering the same thing :)

#23 ·
#26 ·
...imagine the direction of airflow. Pressure built up in the IC and piping, with a general direction of "IN", throttle slaps shut, pressure wave builds up and it's gota go somewhere. Do you reverse the flow of air, having running back towards the turbo through the IC etc? ...or do you release it right near the BOV.

That's what I imagine the thinking is, but I don't have any hard data.

...that said, mine's down low on the hot side.

--billyM

#29 ·
Thats it and if we had 2 wouldn't we exhaust damn near all the pressure ? But in turn would we create a dead air space between throttle position ? Like a gap in air pressure ,, would it affect the intake air speed ? Just things i've been thinking about since my install and I really don't know much about it but logic suggests the more pressure we can exhaust the better . I really want my turbos to last and if I can spend 200 to save 2000 im willing to learn and give it a try :) Hot side low for me as well..

#31 · (Edited)
i have a gen 1 maft and have always vented my greddy type s to atmosphere. it is on the cold side of the ic prolly 2ft from the tb. it has been powdercoated red on the top. been trying to sell it for a long time as i want to go with a larger bov as ill be running a larger turbo soon.

most recent pic i have of it installed. you can see the 3in gm maf as well.

#33 ·
Im not gonna lie, On my 5mgte setup right now I have a ebay knock-off greddy bov.
I got it as a temp just to get my system up and running, and I am very satisfied. I am only running stock boost (and only plan to run stock boost...maybe a tad more)

I got it set up great and it gets air out.

oh, and it has decent sound as well.

#36 ·
not sure on the size of the valve just that the operation of it is excellent. maybe they will release a larger version of it. I am unsure of the airflow capabilities of it. maybe with it's design, a larger valve is not needed even for higher outpuuts (500hp worth of air pressure). but maybe it is...I have no idea.

larger big-name valves like the tial are tried and true. the synapse blow off valve is fairly new on that market. I am not sure if may people with high power engines have been using them. maybe an e-mail to them asking the flow capabilities of their valve?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.