BOV comparison ( shoppers guide ) - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Nice thread.

William is right about the bang for buck, but I still try to support the vendors.

I liked the SARD Racing for it's novelty design, I've had the HKS SSQV for years and years, the original Blitz on my 7M, and now on a Turbosmart Big Bubba.

They all worked the same, with zero difference felt between them. If folks want cool sounds, find one you like. It won't matter. I may change it up later for a different sound. I'd ideally like something that matches the turbo housing sound, but it's no big deal.

Some people say the standard HKS isn't good for over X amount of boost. People are making close to 1000hp on boost with them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    The amount of HP being made has nothing to do with it. The problem is it does not vent enough air to prevent the turbo from being forced to stop, or worse, spin backwards. It is for turbocharger longevity, and prevent the turbo from needing to spool as much after shifting. You can make 1000hp with no blow off valve at all. Doesn't mean its a good idea.
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

CelicaSupra.com Member Zerodrag's Avatar
    One thing good about the HKS SS valve I found was that it caused the least amount of stalling (due to the rich condition on venting) when used as VTA with a AFM setup. I never figured out the reason for that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    CelicaSupra.com
    Advertisements

Oh I know. It's 1000hp of boost, which is usually anywhere between 35-50 psi on these six cylinders.

Just gives folks here a reference as to what kind of boost pressure even the HKS SSQV can safely handle.

It's a smaller valve opening, so it will be better than the larger BOVs while on a MAF setup.

CelicaSupra.com Member williamb82's Avatar
    Yes, it is 2 valves, A tiny one, and then a large. The small valve opens first, if it is pulled far enough, it then engages and opens the larger valve. On quick shifts, it doesn't usually open the larger valve, but when you let off to slow down/stop, it pulls far enough to open the larger valve to vent more air. As Racer said, the smaller valve vents less air so causes less of a rich condition. I never had the issue with the Tial copy I run because I had already gone Megasquirt 2. On my 2Jzgte, I have 2 50mm Tial BOV's to run. One will have a tighter spring than the other so only 1 will open at lower boost levels, then both for higher boost levels.
    william
    Black 84 7mgte/R154, MS2, truetrac, bbk, etc...soon to have 2jzgte and t56
    Blue 85 Beater. TRD Header, HKS Exhaust, custom 3in intake pipe, cone filter
    Black 86 Triple Weber 6m Eventually
    Rusty 85 Frankenstein 6M/w58 with DIYPNP

Thread Information